[matilda] FW: these are feelings, not an argument...

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 10:02:33 GMT 2005

Joe, after careful reading of Eric's email I can only conclude that he
must be pissed off with you or something.

However I'm not going to offer any support at all because I don't
think any is necessary. Eric's email is, itself, a work of art -
better, IMO, than anything I've seen at Art 05. As a piece of writing
it is both stylish and eloquent, an exquisite masterpiece. I for one
would be proud to receive such an email.

There can be no greater force than passion for creating fantastic art
and this email was certainly written with passion. Someone really
cares about what you've said Joe and that is surely a better
complement than simply being ignored. To say that the anger and hatred
is misdirected is really missing the point. This is a great bit of
writing that will surely stand the test of time.

I've only ever received one bit of proper hate mail which related to
some antichristmas pages I'd made - www.stevethepro.ukf.net/xmas.

I was so thrilled I put it on my web site... "Do the soap-dodging,
anti-capitalist, overgrown student arseholes like yourself really
think that you'll achieve anything..."

  http://www.stevethepro.ukf.net/thought/nasty.htm

I can only say that getting emails like these fills one with joy and a
real sense of accomplishment. I wrote back but by the next day the
chap who had sent it had calmed down, sobered up and the subsequent
email was a lot more reasonable and thus boring by comparison.

So I would like to congratulate Eric on a really outstanding piece of
writing. I'm not of the opinion that feelings should be repressed and
as far as I am concerned Eric is welcome in Matilda anytime. In fact
if you're there when I'm there Eric I will definitely buy you a drink.

I would also like to thank Joe for sharing this with us. Joe I suspect
any flak you've recieved about this is secretly motivated by envy. I
think it would look good printed up into a poster, perhaps in old
blackletter (gothic) type, and have it framed and hung in your
hallway. One day it will be worth a lot of money. That's precisely
because it's not a fake.

All good stuff,

steve

PS there is nothing wrong with publishing so called private emails
unless BOTH sender and reciever have agreed not to, beforehand.
However this doesn't mean it is necessarily the best thing to do.

Example: I'm sending you this package of self-exploding broken glass
on the condition that you do not report it to the police.

PPS Maybe all this moderation and stuff points to the necessity of a
new email list. "Matilda-Unleashed" could be a no holds barred, the
gloves are off, kind of a list with hidden archives and where anything
goes.