Mailtda's non-commercial use clause, was: Re: [matilda] crisisof consensus

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 11:34:14 GMT 2005

Joe> Buying alcohol does indeed make profits for the brewery etc (like
Joe> buying fuel for your car, or clothes to wear - it's capitalism),
Joe> but the alcohol bought is outside of Matilda and sold inside for
Joe> the benefit of Matilda or for some group etc.

Well done Joe for spotting the flaw in that argument.

However I think that clarifies things quite a bit and so here is a
solution that I think will satisfy the needs of artists wishing to
make a bit of cash and those who don't wish Matilda to be used as a
place where private profit is made.

All that has to happen is the same as the alcohol. Matilda buys all
the art to be displayed in the Art shop before it comes into the
building. No actual money would have to change hands. It could all be
done on a basis of IOUs. And all artwork would be taken on a sale or
return basis.

This way Matilda would technically own all the artwork on display and
could charge what it wanted for each piece. All profits made from
sales would go to Matilda (or any cause or campaign we wanted) whilst
the artists would have made their profits outside the building.

Maybe this should be on the agenda for tonight? I will leave that up
to those who want to make the Art shop to happen.

 steve