[matilda] Events on the web

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 09:43:27 GMT 2005

One of the effects of having a policy where everyone is responsible is
that it often turns out that no one is.

This is what has happened to Matilda's list of events on the web
which, in my opinion, is one of the most important bits of information
we have on the web. It is vital not just for people wanting to come to
events here but also those wishing to organise events too.

At the moment the wiki page has only two events, Art 05 and the
Indymedia docfest. This is so hopelessly out of date it is more or
less meaningless.

So to encourage folk to keep this up to date I propose the following.

For an event to be confirmed it has to be both agreed at the Monday
meeting AND put on the wiki. Until it appears on the wiki events page
it is not considered a confirmed event. In theory someone else can
still organise something at the same date/time. Hopefully this will be
incentive enough to keep the page up to date.

However leading on from this ... I notice the website now has an
events page. This too has only two events (one of which is inaccurate
- the docfest goes on till 11pm not 6pm on Saturday). It's not yet
been decided who will have access to this page but it seems to me that
we'd be better keeping events on the wiki so that as many people as
possible can add to it as they need to. It could also be a space for
proposed events - that is those events that have not yet been agreed
on Monday. Such events should be clearly marked as proposed only -
perhaps written up in italics.

Obviously this proposal will have to be decided upon on Monday too but
it would be useful to hear what people think and any alternative
suggestions before next week. There is usually insufficient time to
discuss everything on Mondays nowadays it seems.

 steve

Independent grassroots news: www.sheffield.indymedia.org.uk