[matilda] email list autonomy

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 10:25:51 GMT 2005

cuthbert> Following on from steve's logic, if this email list has no direct
cuthbert> influence on what goes on in matilda then maybe we should re-name the
cuthbert> list.

But the list is totally about Matilda. As a group it just has no power
to make decisions about Matilda - and at the moment not even about
itself. This is a hierarchy and an unnecessary one.  Why are the
people at Monday meetings any better at reaching good decisions than
people on this list?

cuthbert> I can think of many reasons why the
cuthbert> matilda collective might want
cuthbert> to dissasociate itself from this list

I actually think both this list and Monday meetings are really bad
ways to get new people involved in Matilda. However that doesn't mean
they shouldn't exist or that we can never argue and bicker about what
may seem trivial stuff to some.

cuthbert>  and if
cuthbert> people on this list arent
cuthbert> willing to respect the decisions made at the
cuthbert> matilda monday meetings then
cuthbert> they should set up their own list.

Who set up this list - those on it or those at the Monday meetings?

cuthbert>   I would probably entitle it:
cuthbert> "Sheffield social centres - a disscussion group
cuthbert> on how people think social
cuthbert> centres should run."

A bit long winded isn't it? As I said above its all about Matilda
anyway.

cuthbert> I am personally happy to be moderated in order to ensure the
cuthbert> smooth running of the e-list and to guarantee that there
cuthbert> isnt any more unpleasentness.

That is truly odd way of thinking to me. Are you really so out of
control? It's also something of a pain to moderate people as it means
someone has to do it. As I've said before if people really can't
control what they might say on email the best thing to do is write the
email then reread it sometime later BEFORE posting it.

And to be honest I don't really have a problem with what you've said
anyway. If this list is supposed to be some kind of publicity for
Matilda then I think that's a very bad idea. Whether polite or not
it's likely to be extremely tedious for any outsider.

What this list is good for is thrashing out discussions that have not
been resolved on Mondays and also allowing those who don't make the
Monday meetings to get and idea about and input into these.

steve