[matilda] Adorno seminar - NEXT TUESDAY Nov 22

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Thu Nov 17 22:25:21 GMT 2005

...Theodor Adorno vs. the 'Culture Industry' Quarter

This will be a free, open seminar with Josh Robinson (University of
Cambridge), looking at the work and ideas of the Frankfurt School
Marxist Theodor Adorno
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Adorno). It is intended both
for curious folk who don't know who Adorno is and for people who've
a bit of familiarity with his ideas.

THE ART COLLECTIVE - Might be interested because he wrote
extensively on art and aesthetics. The essay we will be discussing
is about politically committed art...is it a good idea? is it even
useful?

THE GIG COLLECTIVE - Given we're setting ourselves as an
alternative against the 'cultural industries quarter,' proponents
of DIY culture might be interested because Adorno first coined the
term 'culture industry' as an ironic criticism of a shallow,
worthless mass produced culture. Also, the essay on committed art
can be used to think about whether political punk has any point,
and what that point might be.

EVERYONE ELSE - Might be interested because Adorno has been hugely
influential on people who want to fundamentally question how modern
society is organised and how capitalism effects our cultural and
social world, profoundly influencing everyone from grumpy orthodox
Marxists to kerazy primitivist anarchists.

It would be useful to read Adorno's essay on 'committment' in
advance of the seminar. Copies are available in Matilda.