[matilda] LGBTea (!) room

rhubarb tartlet rhubarbtartlet at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 3 15:19:05 BST 2005

LGB stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, not sure if
the T is Transexual, Transvestite or Tea, or something
else... scuse my ignorance.

Was chatting to a guy from hallam union. Apparently
Hallam are refusing to provide space for the LGBTroom
which traditionally had a room in the union building
but has not been allocated since the move from NMD  to
kettle drums.

I suggested they should have a room at matilda.
this would be a good arrangement all round i thought,
calculating and conniving political mind that I'm
becoming.
providing something that is demanded by their students
which they are refusung to provide, we look good, they
look bad!
we are playing genuinely needed role in the local
community.

Anyway people who used and ran the space before are up
in arms about it and Hallam is ignoring them.

Its meant to be a safe and suppotive space where
people can be upfront about their sexuality without
fear of homophobics or ass holes and especially a
place where students who may be confronting these
issues for the first time often 'come out'.

developing links between us and the local student
population would be a v. good thing. one thing this
guy said to me was that he'd not been too sure if he'd
get a good reception if he came down. i think thats
something we should really be aware of and working on.

ruth
xxxx