[matilda] monbiot today on protest in britain

fabian fab at in-no.org
Tue Oct 4 12:25:39 BST 2005

hey guys
some very good words by monbiot in today's guardian

The police abuse terror and harassment laws to penalise dissent while
we insist civil liberties are our gift to the world

George Monbiot
Tuesday October 4, 2005
The Guardian

'We are trying to fight 21st-century crime - antisocial behaviour, drug
dealing, binge drinking, organised crime - with 19th-century methods,
as if we still lived in the time of Dickens." Tony Blair, September 27
2005.

"Down poured the wine like oil on blazing fire. And still the riot went
on - the debauchery gained its height - glasses were dashed upon the
floor by hands that could not carry them to lips, oaths were shouted
out by lips which could scarcely form the words to vent them in;
drunken losers cursed and roared; some mounted on the tables, waving
bottles above their heads and bidding defiance to the rest; some
danced, some sang, some tore the cards and raved. Tumult and frenzy
reigned supreme ..." Nicholas Nickleby, by Charles Dickens, 1839.

Article continues
All politicians who seek to justify repressive legislation claim that
they are responding to an unprecedented threat to public order. And all
politicians who cite such a threat draft measures in response which can
just as easily be used against democratic protest. No act has been
passed over the past 20 years with the aim of preventing antisocial
behaviour, disorderly conduct, trespass, harassment and terrorism that
has not also been deployed to criminalise a peaceful public engagement
in politics. When Walter Wolfgang was briefly detained by the police
after heckling the foreign secretary last week, the public caught a
glimpse of something that a few of us have been vainly banging on about
for years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,1584140,00.html