[matilda] Social centres, funding and the PGA Hallmarks

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Thu Oct 6 10:31:48 BST 2005

Aw Chris,

> Um, so if you don't get your way you simply walk away...?

Oh for f**ks sake, I don't want my way! I just don't want any group within
MATILDA imposing their way on others! I certainly won't get my way by walking,
will I???

I know - maybe next week, I can arrange a meeting to get another set of
principles ratified, and as long as no-one turns up to oppose that, we can say
that they're now official MATILDA policy.  Do you think that would be OK?

I do find it really, really upsetting that any small group would think it OK to
'ratify' anything, given how open the MATILDA project is supposed to be. That's
what makes me want to walk.

I wanted to be in a place of trust, respect and love.  If it transpired that
eight people really thought they could push through one way of doing things,
all that happens is that MATILDA becomes another locus for power-battles and -
as I've seen happen on several occasions now - the loudest and most violent
speakers win in those situations.

I have no desire to come along attempting to assert power; the place should
enable others who perhaps don't even know their own point of view yet - let
alone be willing to 'ratify' anything.  A place of safety, and respect, and
support.

At the moment, whoever has the least respect for other's points of view wins
out.  Whoever is so sure of themselves that they *know* they're right, and can
justify dismissing anyone else.  I've seen the SWP do it again and again - why
would anyone want that at MATILDA?

That's politics, I guess.  I guess I keep on hoping we can find new ways of
doing things, but the Iron Laws of politics and power keep on re-asserting
themselves.

The world is shitty enough out there, isn't it? I may have been a lone voice on
the PGA - I don't know - and H was concerned that people 'sneered' at the PGA.
I never sneered, and I hoped my response on the WIKI was thought through and
respectful...

Ah, fuck it, i'm really angry now so I think I'd better stop writing before I
say something I'll regret...

If I don't get my way...? Grrrrrr.

Aaaaanyway