[matilda] Open Source Music (.. was C90 gig space etc)

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Mon Oct 10 11:22:32 BST 2005

Oooo! Bitch!

Er... this probably isn't the list for this debate, but, hey...

If you make a repetitive beat and a 303 line, that's up to you - the limits are
not imposed by the software, any more than they are by a canvas.  It's possible
to do absolutely anything you can imagine.

In an ideal world, where we all have a citizen's wage / are able to sustain
ourselves and do what we want, loads of people will work full-time on
non-proprietary music software.  As it is, the resources commited to producing
something like Cubase or Ableton or Halion or Reaktor or not within the reach
of the open source movement.  Yet.

Open source in this context perhaps doesn't stand a chance because so many
people are using cracked copies of everything.  There's no supply and demand
pressure on the open source movement!

This whole e-mail is based on prejudice and supposition.  I have never used any
open source music software. Ha.

Dan
---