[matilda] Open Source Music (.. was C90 gig space etc)

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Mon Oct 10 10:56:18 BST 2005

Quoting dan at aktivix.org:

> Also, one more thing: anyone interested in getting together to talk about an
> 'open source' night for budding electronic DIY-types - that'd be great.
> (Sadly,
> not open source software-wise coz all the best stuff is still entirely
> proprietary... but collaborative and ego-free...)

Thats a matter of opinion.. If you want to make tunes that sound like everbody
elses then use the same tools as everybody else.  I often think that the tail
wags the dog when it comes to music technology, and a repetitive beat and
squelchy lead line simply show's the paucity of imagination in the 21st
century.

Check out some of the stuff at http://access.lowtech.org/loss/index.php?cmd=all
for some more inventive stuff

my favourites chaos butterfly 'sleepish'
http://access.lowtech.org/loss/details.php?file=8
, and of course 'Eh' by Jake Harries
http://access.lowtech.org/loss/details.php?file=4

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily