[matilda] proposal for wed 'events' meeting

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 22:53:16 BST 2005

Helen> In our opinion Wednesday nights meeting needs to
Helen> resolve the following:

I would also like to see Wednesday's meeting split along the lines of
problems and solutions with a good deal of thought given to the
former. Once the problems are clearly defined the solutions become
more obvious.

Helen> (1) Whether it is OK to enforce a “donation” for an
Helen> event/activity.

Rocky made a good suggestion yesterday - and normally I would disagree
with him simply out of principle. No one should be refused entry to
Matilda because they can't afford it. That was something everyone
seemed happy with.

Helen> If not the sustainability
Helen> implications, eg.to what extent we can expect event
Helen> organisations to loose money and still book events
Helen> with us, how long can the cafe go on, if not covering
Helen> costs etc? How do we feel about pushing event
Helen> collectives out of action by taking on this risk. This
Helen> balanced against there being no such events at matilda
Helen> and another space opened up in sheffield.

Coming more from the free party scene rather than punk gig I have to
say I don't really understand what the costs are. In free parties
there is a minor amount for fuel to run the gennies and very rarely a
hat goes round to help with sound system costs (blown speakers etc.)
It seems to me that most people who run sound systems do so mostly at
their own cost because it's their stuff and they're doing what they
love to do.

Most free party folk seem happy to play when they get the chance
simply because they love playing. Did any of the sound systems at the
No Borders gig get any costs?

I was astounded by the fact the C90 costs came to £1000 but have to
say the speakers they used were pretty damned impressive. Maybe their
equipment hire was expensive. Maybe such extravagences are OK once in
while too.

Maybe if we got our own equipment that bands etc. could use then their
costs would be much lower and most of money made could go to
fundraising for Hunt Sabs, Indymedia or whatever group we felt like.
If the money is going to something we all support then I'd hope
everyone would be happy.

Helen> To note - the concern/risk about not being able to cover costs,
Helen> is putting people off already from hosting events at Matilda -
Helen> that’s the word on the street.

It didn't feel that way in last nights meeting. It felt more like
there were so many people wanting to use the space that we were
getting overwhelmed with the amount of events coming up.

Decent space in a city centre is rare and I think we're very lucky to
have Matilda. I think a lot of people know that so I wouldn't worry
too much about us having a lack of events. If anything I think the
problem maybe the opposite - having too many.

cheers

steve