[matilda] proposal for wed 'events' meeting

Helen and Nick slendermeans1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 21:25:04 BST 2005

In our opinion Wednesday nights meeting needs to
resolve the following:

(1) Whether it is OK to enforce a “donation” for an
event/activity. If not the sustainability
implications, eg.to what extent we can expect event
organisations to loose money and still book events
with us, how long can the cafe go on, if not covering
costs etc? How do we feel about pushing event
collectives out of action by taking on this risk. This
balanced against there being no such events at matilda
and another space opened up in sheffield.

To note - the concern/risk about not being able to
cover costs, is putting people off already from
hosting events at Matilda - that’s the word on the
street.

(2) Whether to bring a  proposal to over turn the
existing (not blocked) ‘blue print’ for events to
Monday nights meeting.

(3) To propose abandoning the previously agreed
discretion on a case by case basis over the size of
the donation made to matilda for hosting an event
there.

(4) The size and costs of a DIY gig versus the money
raised by the cafe collective at such an event (re c90
cafe collective donations) and the new people brought
into experiencing matilda and learning from it?

(5) The scale of volunteering suitable for different
kinds of events

(6) The extent to which people who are doing events at
matilda are seen as matilda people and not as punters.

(7) How far do we micro manage people's events rather
than go with our gut instinct on trust and solidarity,
and how they will socially re-invest their "profits"
back into the events they make happen. To what extent
will micro management create a dead space in which the
few of us can have a monday meeting?

Note: there is increasing use of the language “us “
and “them”. Who is which and is it a healthy
distinction for a social centre that is suppose to
reach out to people horizontally?

Finally,

While we are fans of going through the discourse about
who we are and what we do, we need some clear working
practices as soon as possible that we can present to
DIY collectives to give them confidence in us.

Nick and Helene