[matilda] Re: Re[2]: gig costs vs party costs - was - proposal for wed 'events' meeting

Helen and Nick slendermeans1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 14:52:47 BST 2005

Who said anything about doing expensive gigs/parties.
You are taking one event that has happened at matilda
and using that as an example. The people who will be
using this space are DIY gig collectives which are the
same as DIY free party collectives. Events put on by
these people are operated on a miniscule budget and
any money left over after expenses are given to the
bands. If 4 bands play and 50 people pay in £3 thats
£150 less matilda donation, less publicity material
costs - then the rest goes to the bands and sometimes
the promoters might save a little cash to pay for the
publicity for the next gig - its not rocket science.
Its the usual formula - after costs the door money
goes to the bands (assuming profit is made). As helene
said previously, a touring band is usually in
desperate need of cash. Gigs are totally different
from free parties. A gig usually has a responsibility
to pay a band if they are touring. A free party
collective is usually local and not on tour.

Do we have to provide an inventory for every gig? If
gigs have to be financially transparent then so should
every other event and financial activity at matilda.
The collective using the gig space would make a
donation, just as the artists upstairs do but is a
financial limit put on artwork sold? Is a cut asked
for from the artist for using the space upstairs even
though, like a diy collective they have paid for use
of the building. Do we have a say where the artist
spends the profit they have made?