[matilda] Peace in the Park / Matilda: Joint Proposal

Benjamin Major complexitybenjamin at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 11 00:39:50 BST 2005

Peace in the Park / Matilda joint proposal for creative workshops.

Peace in the Park is a community festival which takes places annually in
Sheffield- this years was a great success! This time aroud held in June, it
was an excellent way to kick off the summer; think long before Shambalas and
ShefStocks, before the G8 in Gleneagles, before Matilda was even a glimmer
in our eyes.

One thing that Peace in the Park has been missing, though, is what called,
rather painfully, 'outreach' work. Despite its good intentions, and for all
its good-spirited atmosphere on the day, Peace in the Park fails, I believe,
to involve some of the most overlooked but important members of the
Sheffield community.

Matilda is Sheffield's new social centre space at 111 Matilda Street, and
has already shown itself to be an active and positive place in which things
can really happen. We've already had a massive benefit party for the No
Borders campaign, at which people were encouraged to think about the issues
and political demands that the campaign calls for, as well as having a great
time. But although parties in themselves are no bad thing, Matilda also has
an obligation to be a space in which social / cultural / poltical issues can
be brought to the fore in particpatory and imaginative ways.

We have a festival which needs to seek out a wider audience. We have a
social centre which is on the look out for engaging ways in which to bring
people into contact and dialouge with its core principles and messages. It
is in this situation that I propose the following initative.

With this years Peace in the Park I was involved, along with a collegue from
that collective, in negotiating a series of workshops which forerun Peace in
the Park and which would build up momentum, and community involvement, with
the festival. Nothing ever came of this, due mainly to lack of experience on
my part and perhaps lack of time to commit. But the principle is still clear
in my mind.

The idea was initially to have workshops running on a weekly basis (Dj'ing
workshops, photography, dancing, poetry, art workshops etc...) which would
introduce these skills to young people, skills which they build on, and
which they then could share with their friends, families and wider
communities at the finished Peace in the Park festival- i.e. in a 45 minute
performance combining Dj sets, dancing, spoken word, art created in the art
workshops as backdrops etc... Young people involved in this would ideally
feel as though they were taking an active and purposeful role in organizing
the festival, or a part of the festival, for themselves.

I am now going to propose something similar at Matilda. I envision a series
of days held at Matilda, in the early part of next year, at which there will
be lots of activities to take part in (there is lots of space, after all)-
these shall be family targeted and orientated events. In various rooms there
will be a chance to try a hand at DJing, with tribal dance, banner making,
photography etc... I know that they're will be more than enough people
around to share such skills and talents, as I have seen first hand in my
engagements with both the Peace in the Park and the Matilda collectives. If
someone takes a liking to a particular activity, the idea is then that this
indiviudal may wish to join others in taking a small course of workshops in
this activty with the final aim of being able to take part in a short
performance / exhibition at the Peace in the Park festival, thus
contributing in a meaningful way to the visual or aural identity of the
festival. This DIY culture could even extend to say, designing a logo for
the next years festival...

The festival this year was procceded by a march for peace and justce
organized by the Stop the War Coalition. I would like to see this element
retained next year, but under the full responsibility and direction of the
Peace in the Park collective. I would like to see a colourful, impressive
and dynamic peace procession to match that of the Lantern Carnival (which
takes place earlier in the year) which could begin at Matilda and bring out
of Matilda the colourful creations (paper-mache figuratives, banners,
anything really) we have collectively created and take them on a tour
through the town towards the festival site.

How the give-it-a-try days and the workshops whould be publisized is
something that is still to consider. Though I would create publicity
materials myself and will be prepared to use existing community groups and
community learning-initatives. I would seek out some funding for the
project, and generally commit myself to faciliatating and co-ordinating the
project, while respecting the autonomy of the artists involved themselves.

All workshops would try and promote creative reflections and responses to
the themes of Peace in the Park, those of peace, conflict resolution, and
social justice. Being involved in a festival and in a peace parade would
promote creative direct action and active participation towards a
passionately held belief.

The project could also play a part in the securing of the continuing future
of Peace in the Park and of Matilda.

Can I stop talking in fooking-proposal speak now?

Benjamin.