[matilda] Hacklab lovin'

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Fri Sep 16 08:28:25 BST 2005

Hia,

Yup, the Hacklab's alive!  Woo hoo!

Just one thing: the last e-mail was a forward from AED, not written by 0742 as
the signature on the end of the mail might suggest. I get a bit funny about
referencing like this; bit like e-mail plagiarism!

p.s. Also now installed Ubuntu on my puter at work!

For those as don't know, Ubuntu is a fully kitted out, open source installation
of linux that comes ready with a whole set of key applications.

Over the coming weeks in the hacklab, various people have offered to run
workshops on different aspects of open source software, web design, WIKIs,
networking etc.  I'd like to add: power-using Mozilla Firefox / getting the
best extensions for your machine; using Open Office writer - weaning yourself
off Microsoft Word.

(I've been using Writer for a while now coz Word kept on crashing my computer.
I think it just about beats Word, once you get used to it.  And I'm not just
saying that from blind loyalty to the open source movement.  As with the recent
release of Firefox 1, OS is truly beginning to mature into a challenge to the
profit-motive software world - and the philosophy of open source is spilling
out into society...

Sorry, ranting.  Not enough sleep!

love

Dan