[matilda] Detilding Mafina

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:01:26 BST 2005

Just a thought. An email a little while ago (I forget who from)
suggested that although the World Bank claims 'Our dream is a world
without poverty' and is manifestly not contributing to such a world, the
existence of hypocrisy in the mission statements of other bodies is not
a reason for Matilda not to have a mission statement. The PGA hallmarks
are quite a profound statement of intent, which I find exciting but also
am not convinced match the vision and future of Matilda.

We have to decide whether we are going to force the arch-capitalists
like D amongst us into being part of the same type of hypocrisy we have
decried in the World Bank - there has certainly been the implication
that we should expect those who disagree with PGA to graciously accept
it. Or alternatively, whether we are going to make our commitment to the
PGA hallmarks a genuinely profound one, and start to really look at what
Matilda is being used for, with an aim to cropping out such activities
as are irrelevant or contrary to the PGA hallmarks. Personally, I think
that if Matilda is to have a mission statement, it should be something
that we act by, rather than a glossy cover note to put on the internet
and impress the rest of the movement. But a genuinely meaningful
statement of intent is bound to question the relationship between the
artistic and radical intent of the building, and my understanding has
always been that (although likely to be moderately self-selecting) there
was no requirement on artists asking for space that their work or intent
should coincide with other members' political aims.

The long and short of it is that we should ask ourselves, 'Will the PGA
Hallmarks change how we act', and if we say no, then we are as
hypocritical as the WB if we adopt them.

Chris