[matilda] Detilding Mafina

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Wed Sep 21 13:25:11 BST 2005

"The long and short of it is that we should ask ourselves, 'Will
the PGA Hallmarks change how we act', and if we say no, then we are
as
hypocritical as the WB if we adopt them."

This is assuming we're acting in contradiction to them now, but the
principles will change us. Neither of which is the case. I think
it's whether they reflect how we already act that is important, and
the ideals already in operation here. I'd say they do. For example,
regarding the art collective as 'political'...

"there was no requirement on artists asking for space that their
work or intent should coincide with other members' political aims."

That's right, what was political is not the artworks themselves
(permitting only earnest 'political' works of art would be really
deathly dull. And also, I'd say, contrary to a principle of
inclusivity and openeness). What IS political is offering a space
to artists who are excluded by the CTI's slick, high price,
capitalist-orientated approach to providing space for cultural
expression.