[matilda] PGA again...

Helen and Nick slendermeans1 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 11:55:34 BST 2005

Hey,

I wasn't at the meeting but I guess it could mean that it would be a bit disingenuos for Matilda to contribute to processes/discussions/world conferences for groups working under the PGA banner if matilda didn't support the principles they had collectively chosen to work together under? But it doesn't stop anybody joing in PGA global days of action etc or working with the Wombles, Landless Moverment in Brazil or the Karnataka farmers etc.

The Wombles, as well as London Action Resource Centre are down as PGA info points, and this is what ity says on the Wombles site about adopting PGA stuff.

"In February 1998, grassroots movements of all continents met in Geneva to launch a worldwide coordination network of resistance to the global market, a new alliance of struggle and solidarity called Peoples' Global Action against 'free' trade and the WTO (PGA). That was the birth of this global tool for communication and coordination for all those who fight the destruction of humanity and the planet by capitalism and build local alternatives to globalisation.

The defining documents of the PGA are its five hallmarks, its organisational principles and its manifesto. The hallmarks and the organisational principles have been amended twice at global conferences, to reflect discussions about clarifying differences to right-wing anti-globalizers.

PGA is not an organisation and has no members. However PGA aims to be an organised network. Participation in PGA activities is based upon endorsement of the hallmarks and principles of the network. Autonomous groups function as regional contact points to disseminate information about PGA, but they cannot represent the PGA."

Hxx

dan at aktivix.org wrote:
Allo,

Someone mentioned in the meeting that, if we don't adopt the PGA hallmarks, we
can't be affiliated with the global network of PGA social centres.

I don't understand - could someone clarify? Especially considering point 5 of
the hallmarks:

"An organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy."

Can we not network with who we want? Maybe I misunderstood...?

Dan