[matilda] Coupla agenda items...

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 19:12:29 BST 2005

cuthbert> However on the longer term viability of parties i do not
cuthbert> nessasarily subscribe to the scare-mongering based on the
cuthbert> idea that if we have another party the police will shut us
cuthbert> down.  Personally i think that if we have safeguards (e.g.
cuthbert> shutting the gate at midnight) then we can ligitimatly say
cuthbert> that it is a private party on property that is not held
cuthbert> illeagaly. Further, even if the police do have a problem
cuthbert> with the party they are more likely to just shut the party
cuthbert> as oppose to going to the extreme lengths of shutting the
cuthbert> entire building and all the activities within it.

I totally agree with what Cuthbert says. The police did turn up at the
last party and probably did want to shut us down but couldn't because
we weren't doing anything wrong. A precedent has been set.

I also think it's worth remembering that the party was very successful
in not only providing good entertainment but in raising money for a
worthwhile campaign and Matilda itself. Such funds are not easy to
generate any other way.

Overall I would say don't have too many parties and make sure they are
done on a members only basis - meaning people have to join our club
and they have to sign in to get in. A good first aid kit with a few
people willing to use it should alleviate saftey worries. Fire regs
should be followed. Fire exits should be marked and we should probably
have fire extinguishes around, clearly marked too.

steve