[matilda] re: minutes /c90/ ticketing and fixed event prices

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Mon Sep 26 22:56:56 BST 2005

I'm kind of concerned about this no ticketing thing, as I presume
it's come up in relation to c90...

the c90 gig was already approved, and they've already gone ahead
with this stuff, so we're basically going to shaft them a bit if we
say the tickets they've printed up can't be used.

The idea of interfering with setting a fixed charge is also unfair
to them. They're putting up a lot of money and we're telling them
that they aren't gauranteed an income on the door to cover their
(for this gig, VERY high) costs. That doesn't seem fair, and would
discourage me personally from putting on an event. I wouldn't want
to exclude people, but just letting some people in free/on donation
is unsustainable for MATILDA and for promoters, once word got
around that's how we were doing it. Drawing the line between who
can't pay would also be tricky and cause resentment on the part of
people who paid more. I think a discount for unemployed is as fair
as we can be whilst still being financially sustainable.

Basically, I feel that if we're going to be screwing people around
like this - at short notice after we've let them put in the work
for an event - they won't want to put events on here. And who could
blame them?