[matilda] removal of aromatic compost

armchair hippy armchairhippy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 13:29:22 BST 2006

the free food (cheese, bread, etc.) in downstairs kitchen has been chucked by me and 0742 today.

 also, the rotting fruit and veg in the free-standing cupboard in the kitchen has been composted. This had to be done as the bananas were inedible, except for perhaps 3 or 4 of em; the punnets of strawberries, etc. had all become mini greenhouses for fluffy/furry stuff; the melons were like brutal decapitations dug up this century (planted last century) and one or two aubergines, other veg were at least part mouldy and covered in slimey coriander sauce...

 Basically, 97% was unusable apart from some soft garlic and a bag of waitrose organic tatties but we chucked em anyway.

 Even tho it were behind a closed metal doors the smell of ripeness must surely be attracting the rats into the building and the freegan kitchen looks like it should not be used to store perishable food - plenty of bite marks in the cheeses.

 Again, please don't let manky veg be left - once it's gone, chuck it. i think leaving it one or two days cos it's not hurting anything is sheer complacency. we need to make this place a 99% rat-free zone again like it was 12 months ago, instead we're encouraging breeders. this last nine months has proved how difficult a job it is for a relatively small number of people to manage such a big building in respect of our waste. think we're at the point of learning from that in time for the hot bacteria-breeding season.

 Skip wisely!

 PS. any volunteers as exterminators for when/if we find the first rats nest?