[matilda] Meeting prep on another WIKI?

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Apr 12 17:23:56 BST 2006

Quoting Dan <dan at aktivix.org>:

> Allo
>
> At the last meeting, I said I'd ask Chris what was happening with the
> wiki, since its a vital tool for our meeting organisation at MATILDA.
> It's still not working.
>
> Chris did respond to me at the start of March, saying he didn't know why
> it wasn't working, and that we should move it, but he didn't have time.

Hi

the aktivix collective ( www.aktivix.org ) is planning on setting up a wiki
'farm' where many groups can host their own wiki's

This is in association with a number of international tech collectives - the
current umbrella is called http://tachanka.org

I would suggest -  rather than breaking the existing wiki content and spreading
over several disparate wiki's we put our energy into moving the existing wiki
to the tachanka collective.

This would have some collaborative benefits.

1. The tachanka organisation are interested in promoting tools for online, tech
activism.
2.  secure: designed with anonymity and privacy in mind
3.  to provide a learning environment for new(er) techs to develop sysadmin
skills
4.  Tachanka are working in partnership with mayfirst.org and riseup.net, both
existing tech activist collectives
5.  Any funding or donations for cost or hosting would be going to support
people who are commited to non hierarchical and anticapitalist actions.  I
notice that openplanning.net is hosted by suresupport.com, do they have the
same commitments ?

So i would make an alternative proposal.

1.  That we don't spread the wiki content across several name spaces.
2.  That the ssf and matilda wiki's move to the new tachanka wiki farm.

Dan, why don't you consider moving openplanning.net also ?  Also, why not help
moving the wiki and setting up the new farm ?  Its hard work and people who
have enthusiasm, time , skills, etc are hard to find.

Given enough push this could happen quite quickly, and would also kickstart some
great new services for other groups and communities.

regards,

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily