[matilda] Inclusivity and all that

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Wed Feb 22 16:14:56 GMT 2006

Hia,

Do we actually *WANT* MATILDA to be inclusive in every sense? I'm not
sure that's such a laudable goal.

Why not? Well, to compare -

The other building I work in, Scotia Works, is a shared office space,
and a lot of the people here are, if not filthy radicals, then at least
in the same social justice ballpark as MATILDA folk.

The set up here is comfortable for a range of people.  We deal with
refugees and asylum seekers a lot.  Equally, there are big-wigs from the
Home Office (and so tenants get very fussed about cleanliness! Perhaps
equating nice clean carpets with funding opportunities...), and we also
do neighbour mediation final meetings here, so folk from all over
Sheffield come in.

A lot of these people (not the tenants - everyone else who uses it)
wouldn't naturally find themselves in, say, the Basement in Manchester -
coz they're gonna be put off by the overtly political nature of it.
Neither would they go into MATILDA, for the same reasons.

And, of course, yes, plenty of people would be put off by the Ketamine
Kollective, which I'm pretty sure the people doing it thought of! It
rather neatly guarantees, for example, that anyone wanting to get
funding for anything at MATILDA won't stand a chance in hell if they
point anyone to the website, which I know some people would think is a
great idea! (Since funding, after all, equals sucking Satan's cock, as
we all know...?)

I was gonna bring my new work colleague, a union guy who's moved here
from Kings Lynn, to the social - he was asking about it and wanted to
come along.  I put him off coz I thought a Ketamine quiz wouldn't really
make him want to come back!  I think food and watching Brazil would be
better...

And I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  If, as 0742 says, MATILDA is a
person, then she has many sides to her personality - inluding 'follow Mr
Spoon, Keta-mooooon'... - and is big enough to accommodate them all
without going bonkers.

Inclusivity can mean blandness and neutrality.  Not two words I think
anyone would associate with MATILDA. Now, diversity... there's another
buzzword, n maybe that's more like it... Bring on the Noo Labour speak!
Yeah baby!

love

Dan
---