[matilda] THE RATS ARE LIVEING HERE RENT FREE

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 23:48:03 GMT 2006

worldwarfree> Well i made an effort to talk with them
worldwarfree> there bad attitude and aragance
worldwarfree> was apparant i told them one is of to the
worldwarfree> Cat Shelter to get a Cat but
worldwarfree> befor i do we need to a meeting to
worldwarfree> pontificate then not decide shall we
worldwarfree> say next Monday?

Rats are beautiful creatures and highly intelligent too.

See: www.ratlovers.org

There is an article about trapping them humanely if they become a
problem...

http://www.ratlovers.org/articles/traps.html

If you want to get a cat (or a ferret might be better) then I guess
someone has to be responsible for it. Bear in mind it will probably
far outlive Matilda too so where is it going to go then? It will also
have to be fed and house trained (I don't want the place stinking of
cat piss). A cat flap would be needed too I guess. So quite a bit of
responsibilty.

There is also the issue of animal rights. Quite a few Matilda folk are
vegan so would probably take exception to the bringing in of another
animal for the express purpose of killing off another species
(although I doubt one cat would have much effect as Matilda is a large
place and rats are smart).

The rats have been around for ages and personally I can't see that
they've been any problem. The most important thing is that they can't
get to any food stored in Matilda so we just need to make sure
everything is put away and out of reach - which I think it is anyway.

So all in all this doesn't seem like a great idea though I take your
point about meetings. Having to get everything agreed through the
Monday meetings has been a pain but hopefully this will change with
the collectives thing allowing a bit more spontaneous action and
creativity.

steve