[matilda] Brief points from yesterday's meeting

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Jun 15 12:37:01 BST 2006

Allo

I was supposed to be taking minutes from yesterday's six o clock
meeting, but ended up talking too much! Here's what I can remember from
the few notes I have.

There were quite a few new faces, which was nice!

We re-iterated the plan to meet every day at 6.  (But as Nick pointed
out to me, the football's on most nights at that time, so...!)

Mozaz explained to people what had happened that day.

I introduced the draft open letter to Yorkshire Forward.

There were a few points about the fact that there was no consensus on
it, and that all the stuff about charities etc was a bit pointless.

People agreed that we should draft something, but keep it much more: "WE
ARE MATILDA AND WE ARE GREAT AND THIS IS WHAT WE ARE! RAAAAAR!" (I
paraphrase.)

It was noted that the building WILL be there for at least 16 months
sitting empty, coz that's how long LTT has in his (not yet agreed or
signed) lease.

Jeff noted:

1. We should draw attention again to dubious dealings in the quarter;
2. "If we don't tell the story, no-one will." (Note parallels to Frodo's
role as the Ring Bearer; its all terribly epic, ain't it?)

James suggested a public meeting.

A simple petition was proposed: people agreed.

Someone else said some stuff that I didn't understand, sorry.

My addition / interpretation, to quote once more from the Lord of the
Rings (oh Christ I'm such a geek....)

"If this is to be our end, then we would make it such an end as to be
worthy of remembrance."

Which is to say, there's little or no hope of us surviving in MATILDA
for long, but now its out in the open, we can make a lot of noise, and
say something about the corporate takeover of our public space.

:)

Dan