[matilda] gig report, enthusiasm, etc

Joe Public iloveavocado at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:21:23 BST 2006

Hi Matilda,

The gig last night was awesome! Storm The Keep dumped a heap of poundland
toy swords on the floor before they played and challenged everyone to smite
them. They were all made up like black metallers and the guitarist was
crying blood (it may have been fake)

Boy Cunt were ace queercore, they all dressed up and the singer had no pants
on. Half the room felt uncomfortable and alienated, the other half went nuts
and heckled.

J'M'En Fous were blinding, they're all stoppy starty but dead heavy at the
same time. Everyone was dancing around and made them play an encore. There
was cake for everyone and we fed anyone who was hungry in addition to the
bands. The gig space was looking fancy with the old gig posters we've pasted
up and the security light rigged up as a spotlight - wow, generally.

There is an Amnesty International benefit gig tonight, it's going to be a
bit different with drumming, breakdancing and all sorts. If anyone wants to
come and help out it would be much appreciated, it looks to be a cool night.

On Friday there's a Voices in the Wilderness benefit in Club Seals - again,
any help would be welcome. Up Late are playing who are incredible and
ground-breaking* and some other bands which presumably aren't nearly as
good. Once again there is the promise of vegan cake, what better incentive
is there?

Don't forget the Action Medics training this Saturday, from 9am, email
training at actionmedics.org.uk if you're interested.

In conclusion, while I don't want Matilda to be nothing more than a gig
venue, the gigs we've hosted have felt like something really different from
most of the shows around. There are rarely Matilda folk outside the gig
collective in attendance and I'd really encourage people to come down and
see what's going on. It might not be your kind of music, but it'd be cool if
you came and showed a bit of support.

see you tonight/tomorrow/Saturday?
Kathleen

*did I mention I drum in them?