[matilda] work in progress

Gareth Hallam fifteen_counts at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 16:03:42 BST 2006

alright?

i'd like to see if anyone would be interested in helping out with the
following ideas/events etc? Or at least offer any kind of suggestion
whether they'd be viable/welcomed etc.

I'm interested in using the matilda space to set up an 'anarchist study
group', basically a weekly study group of anarchist history, theory, and
practice.Similar to http://sfbay-anarchists.org/. I guess its a reponse to
the lack of critique/discussion/practice of what 'anarchism' is and means,
especially in our everyday lives, and to some extent from what i've
experienced at matilda. I'd like to discuss terms, and get to grips with
all the slogans that swamp 'anti-capitalist' resistance, such questions
like 'what does 'property is theft' actually mean?', 'what work?', 'what
is activism?','what is direct action?' etc etc. Slogans replace
intelligent discussion, buzzwords enforce conformity.
I'm not entirely sure how the group would exist and what dynamic it would
undertake, but i'd like to at least see some kind of 'openess' towards
such a project.

Secondly i'm trying to sort out 'an evening with Stuart Christie', at the
moment its an idea to try and facilitate unapologetic anarchism, rather
than the 'politics of niceism' that seems to be floating around matilda at
the moment.

I guess i'll get the ball rolling and try and formulate some kind of plan
and then put up possible dates and ideas up on the email list, and flyer
it some how.

Ta ta for now,

Gareth

''Fourier long ago exposed this methodical myopia of treating fundamental questions without relating them to society as a whole.'' - S.I.