[matilda] Background to matilda

armchair hippy armchairhippy at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 14:09:08 BST 2006

 Adrenalin Studios want to see this building used for creative purposes
not for corporate profit.

>From the posters inside outside Matilda written by Armchair Hippy LTT 0742
our contrabution to what is Matilda.

-

If anyone has some burning ambition (if anyone still reads these emails...)
to put their vision of what Matilda is into words to be seen on the outside
wall for the people of Sheffield to read, this would help those on the outside
become more aware of what's going on inside.

Every time i walk down Matilda Street towards the front door, i always notice
everyone walking past glances up at the poster, often stopping to read it.

This is what has been written by those presently using the M... Gallery
(Exhibition runs until 10th May):

"You look at an empty room and see the exposed pipes, the skeleton of a heating system,
cracked surfaces and layers and layers of paint that have been stripped back, repainted,
stripped back again. There are ripples, blemishes and textures all over the walls, floor
and ceiling. You look again and begin to connect the shapes; they turn into growths, folds
and tears. The walls begin to bulge out in places, recede in others, and you start to get
a feeling of the building as being organic, the walls being a record of human activity
within the space.
 There has been a lot of conflict over this space. Its ownership is being contested and
the politics of profit and redevelopment have made the building's future uncertain.
We don't own this space, we are merely passing through and leaving our mark the only
way we know how. Eventually the marks will be swallowed by the walls and we will become
just another part of their history."