[matilda] Linux Terminal Server implementation - May 26 - 27th

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Sun May 28 14:20:54 BST 2006

Quoting Alan Dawson <aland at burngreave.net>:

> I'm proposing to lead a workshop on Linux Terminal Server implementation at
> MATILDA on May 26 - 27th ( basically all day Friday and maybe some on
> Saturday
> to wrap up)

Here is a report back from  the event.

http://www.burngreave.net/node/321

"We installed SUSE 10.1 Linux  on a relatively ancient but serviceable dual
processor 1 Ghz PIII 1GB RAM 2x 18GB SCSI HDD server.

SUSE 10.1 installed without a hitch ( as is to be expected from a Linux distro
these days.)

The latest version of LTSP, LTSP 4.2 is pretty magnificent. The documentation is
well written and easy to follow, and we configure a few simple networking
services ( DHCP, TFTP, NFS, XDMCP and etherboot, with the help of
http://rom-o-matic.net/ ), and we have a working LTSP server built, and a
skipped compaq deskpro 6350 SFF Pentium II PC with 32Mb RAM acting as thin
client.

One of the really funky things about the latest LTSP is its support for
localdevices using the FUSE modules and the ltspfs File system

All the required support is included in SUSE 10.1 and after following the
instructions on the LTSP wiki we could plug in usb memory sticks and cameras
and have them appear on the desktop. COOL!

We also got local sound working on the thin clients, with the help of the Gnome
Desktop Environment the LTSP Docs we used the Enlightenment Sound Daemon, and
again it "just worked".

Altogether a very successful day.

Of course reading this you may be thinking, "why bother, my PC already does
these things - plays music, sees my USB devices.. " BUT the LTSP set up allows
us to

1. grow our Media lab at costs of junk PC and monitor per seat - not £500 for a
basic PC per seat.
2. Manage our media center centrally, - we can install software once and its
instantly available at every seat.
3. No expensive licenses to pay
4. Terminals are amazingly quick to boot - 30 seconds from power up to log on
screen

Now we need to get the products of the session - a working LTSP setup, and the
skills to support and grow more of them - used. Hopefully a DIY media lab in
Burngreave soon ?"

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily