[matilda] Cooling the Towers is in peril.

Gareth Roberts gonch at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 17:03:40 BST 2006

Hello People,

I was wondering if anyone has a really radical idea, you know so blinking
out there that no one has ever thought of it. In fact words don't exist that
can describe this idea it is so blinking genius. NO? Oh dear. We're shafted.
Again.

The Cooling Towers. It's another inevitable outcome. It's another stitch up.
A done deal. Just like the Leadmill. Just like the E-Campus. Just like the
Pop Centre. Just like Matilda. It's a fix I say. You see the establishment
loves to see the little men and women get excited about something, only to
take it away and smash it up. Death by slow bleeding. Except you don't know
your bleeding until your dead.

What should we do? We should revel in our position of weakness. Our
inability to do anything expect watch and gasp. Talk about it in romantic
terms of endearment, you know like when you think of old friends, and days
gone by. Reminisce about how great they were, how wonderful those cooling
towers were, how great it would have been, if only..

Don't you see?! They can take away the towers, but they can't take away the
idea of the towers.. Once they have struck them down, they will become more
stronger than they ever were. You know like Obi-Wan Kenobi, only real.

What should we do? We should leave Sheffield. Escape like rats from a
sinking ship. One mans heaven is another man's hell, and this time the
balance is tipping the wrong way. Even if they kept the towers, turned them
into Sheffield's "Angel of the North", what would be the outcome -
gentrification, city living dickheads, rising costs, crime, drugs,
prostitution, seafront penthouses.

Don't you see?! The best thing that could ever happen is about to happen.
They'll take away the towers, and we'll be left with nothing. and
everything. Wallowing, stricken, smashed on the rocks - and out of the ashes
a phoenix will rise. We don't need your poxy f-ing towers. Keep 'em. Grind
'em to dust. See if we really care.

Even if the towers stayed, and they were made into something wonderful,
magical even, imaginations unbound, words cannot explain. those corporate
f***ers would come along and claim them as their own. Sheffield's on the map
again, Sheffield's the UK's most innovative city, the most creative city -
fine, great, wonderful, but you ask yourself - and you know who you are, you
Town Hall dwelling suits - what is it exactly that makes Sheffield all that
and so much more? Not the buildings, not the posh water features, or the
fancy dancy MDF high rise slums of the future wank that excuses itself for
architecture these days - no none of that. It's one thing, and one thing
alone - the people.

So people. Are you listening? The question is this - do you fight to win, or
fight to lose. And in this particular case what exactly is a win?

Come you c**ts. Let's have it.

  _____