[matilda] come to climate camp!

julie w juliewhite75 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 10:48:52 BST 2007

Dear friends, As the worst floods in sixty years drench the UK, it seems like the righttime for an update and reminder about the Camp for Climate Action, whichis taking place next month (14th – 21st August). If you didn’t make it tolast year’s camp outside Drax power station in Yorkshire, we had over 600people, 100 workshops, a successful day of action against Drax andnational media coverage, making it one of the major climate action eventsof the year. This year’s camp will be taking place near Heathrow airport, and willagain be a celebration of low-impact living, education, ideas-sharing andaction! This time around, we are hoping to get not just hundreds, butthousands of people to the Camp, and make an even bigger impact than lastyear. Anyone is welcome to come along, either to visit or (better still)to stay and take part – the Camp will again be run cooperatively, withoutleaders, by everyone who comes along. Whilst it is very likely thatautonomous actions will be taking place all week, the Camp will alsofeature “24 hours of mass action” from noon on Sunday 19th to noon onMonday 20th – details, naturally, to be confirmed at the Camp... As well as challenging the Government's plans to expand aviation at theexpense of our shared climate, and support local people in their struggleagainst the third Heathrow runway, the Camp aims to showcase examples ofhigh-quality low-impact living, share information, skills and ideas, andmost importantly of all help to build a powerful people-driven movementfor climate action. It's going to be brilliant. More information can befound at www.climatecamp.org.uk (a full timetable of workshops will beavailable soon). We’d be very grateful if you could forward this message on to all theinterested people you can think of, and encourage them to visit thewebsite to find out more. Please do get in touch if you’d like anyleaflets or posters about the Camp, or a copy of the film we made aboutlast year’s event; if you’d be interested in running a session at the Campor helping out in other specific ways; or if you simply have any otherquestions about the Camp. You can contact us by email(info at climatecamp.org.uk / dannychivers at riseup.net) or by phone: 0777 2861099. Hope to see you at the camp! Best wishes, Danny ChiversCamp for Climate Action Networking Groupwww.climatecamp.org.uk Some quotes from the public meeting in Sipson on July 18th 2007 (seehttp://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/07/376601.html): "I am formally welcoming Climate Camp to my constituency. They're going toput our campaign on the map in a way that some of us have tried - but notbeen able to."-John McDonnell, MP for Hayes & Harlington "I've lived here twenty years, and at fifty years of age I've got to sayI'd given up. I've said to my wife, what will happen will happen. Buttonight you lot have changed my bloody mind!" – Resident of one of the“Heathrow Villages”