[matilda] Camping It Up For The Climate

Danny Chivers dannychivers at riseup.net
Tue Jul 24 18:22:32 BST 2007

Dear friends,

As the worst floods in sixty years drench the UK, it seems like the right
time for an update and reminder about the Camp for Climate Action, which
is taking place next month (14th – 21st August). If you didn’t make it to
last year’s camp outside Drax power station in Yorkshire, we had over 600
people, 100 workshops, a successful day of action against Drax and
national media coverage, making it one of the major climate action events
of the year.

This year’s camp will be taking place near Heathrow airport, and will
again be a celebration of low-impact living, education, ideas-sharing and
action! This time around, we are hoping to get not just hundreds, but
thousands of people to the Camp, and make an even bigger impact than last
year. Anyone is welcome to come along, either to visit or (better still)
to stay and take part – the Camp will again be run cooperatively, without
leaders, by everyone who comes along. Whilst it is very likely that
autonomous actions will be taking place all week, the Camp will also
feature “24 hours of mass action” from noon on Sunday 19th to noon on
Monday 20th – details, naturally, to be confirmed at the Camp...

As well as challenging the Government's plans to expand aviation at the
expense of our shared climate, and support local people in their struggle
against the third Heathrow runway, the Camp aims to showcase examples of
high-quality low-impact living, share information, skills and ideas, and
most importantly of all help to build a powerful people-driven movement
for climate action. It's going to be brilliant. More information can be
found at www.climatecamp.org.uk (a full timetable of workshops will be
available soon).

We’d be very grateful if you could forward this message on to all the
interested people you can think of, and encourage them to visit the
website to find out more. Please do get in touch if you’d like any
leaflets or posters about the Camp, or a copy of the film we made about
last year’s event; if you’d be interested in running a session at the Camp
or helping out in other specific ways; or if you simply have any other
questions about the Camp. You can contact us by email
(info at climatecamp.org.uk / dannychivers at riseup.net) or by phone: 0777 286
1099.

Hope to see you at the camp!

Best wishes,

Danny Chivers
Camp for Climate Action Networking Group
www.climatecamp.org.uk

Some quotes from the public meeting in Sipson on July 18th 2007 (see
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/07/376601.html):

"I am formally welcoming Climate Camp to my constituency. They're going to
put our campaign on the map in a way that some of us have tried - but not
been able to."
-John McDonnell, MP for Hayes & Harlington

"I've lived here twenty years, and at fifty years of age I've got to say
I'd given up. I've said to my wife, what will happen will happen. But
tonight you lot have changed my bloody mind!" – Resident of one of the
“Heathrow Villages”