[matilda] We, the un-designed,

worldwarfree at riseup.net worldwarfree at riseup.net
Wed Jan 23 11:29:21 GMT 2008

	Do solemnly swear - in the interest of our fellow people, our planet and
our purse-strings - that from this day forth we shall wholeheartedly
endeavour to live a life more in tune with the great cosmic recycling
scheme of things. There exists in the universe a code of practice that
has not only ensured the survival of our planet for some 4.5 billion
years, but has ultimately created a celebratory cornucopia of life.
Unfortunately a small, but ultimately powerful, percentage of our own
species have taken it upon themselves to upset the natural balance just
so that they can hoard baubles and trinkets and all manner of glistening
things. This they do in the vain hope that some of the glitter might rub
off on themselves and make up for their distinct lack of mojo.
Fortunately the laws of survival are neither complicated nor esoteric
(which means they’re not going to cost you anything); in fact they’re
open to anyone who takes time out to observe the rhythms of the universe.
Adhering strictly to the Law of Fives the Great Ignoble Zenarchs
developed Five Laws; this doctrine shall henceforth be known as the Uppie
Dharma and shall be enshrined by the following five precepts.

1.The Untruth of Waste
Sisters and Brothers, there is no such thing as waste; there are only
wasted opportunities. Before committing an object to landfill ask
yourselves “Can I make further use of this? Can I reuse, repair or
re(up)cycle it? Can anyone I know make use of this? Can they reuse, repair
or re(up)cycle it?” If the answer to one or any of these questions is
‘yes’ (or even ‘maybe’) then the object in question is not waste, it is an
opportunity - and every opportunity should be treated with the same
respect afforded to each new day or dream of tomorrow. For opportunity is
the watchword of the re-renaissance.
Sisters and Brothers, ‘Old’ is the new ‘New’, go forth and re-create.

2.The I of the Creator
Sisters and Brothers, we are, as Erich Fromm so wisely observed, creatures
that evolved to become creators. The need to create is entirely central to
the human condition; indeed it is the culturally induced suppression of
the creative urge that has led to the neurosis, alienation and near
universal ennui that so infects the modern world. If you do not believe
that our species is innately creative then give a child a crayon and let
them loose on your wallpaper. Sadly, oh Siblings, we are taught to consume
rather than create, but, as you well know, that iPhone, sports car,
Versace dress or Andy Warhol ‘original’ will have lost its
showroom/gallery aura long before you get it home. Sisters and Brothers,
it is time to let your imaginations take control, it is time for the
re-renaissance.

3.The Death of Forever
Sisters and Brothers, we are but farts upon a breeze, we inhabit a
transient universe that is ever changing, ever dying, ever dawning. All
that exists – all that was, is and will be - flows from one state to
another and those little things you try so desperately to possess (gold,
diamonds, lovers) melt from your grasp like eddies in a stream; the only
thing that lasts forever is impermanence.
Once we have dispelled the myth of forever then we can let go our grasp of
material possessions; all we truly posses is the passing moment, yet we
are willing to fill that moment with anxiety and suffering because of our
concerns for what we own – or for what we think we should own. As purveyor
of (and observer to
) the moment, the organism (us) holds sway over the
inanimate (the object) and yet we – the great and intelligent godlike
primates of planet Earth - behave as if we were slaves to objects. From
now on look upon all things and ask of them “What is this objects value to
me in this present moment?” If you haven’t thought of an answer in five
minutes then pass that object on to somebody who can make use of it.
And remember, oh Siblings, that even the already upcycled is constantly
upcycleable; indeed there is no end to an objects upcycleability.

4.The Myth of ‘Growth’
Sisters and Brothers, according to the pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo known
in otherwise serious academic circles as ‘Economics’, the Holy Grail of
the knight errand businessman is eternal ‘Economic Growth’. Growth, of
course, exists in the universe as a transition from one state to another,
growth as a process is exciting, adventurous, desirable and necessary, but
the notion of growth as an end in itself – indeed the economists even seem
to believe in a never ending end!?! – is illogical . Many weed-killers
work by inhibiting a plants ability to stop growing, in other words it is
killed by being forced to grow beyond its physical boundaries; what is
true of plants is true of every other system in the universe.
Studies have proven that once people have achieved stable access to food
and shelter then their happiness level remains constant regardless of
added wealth. Personal experience has shown that a person’s mojo actually
diminishes with an increase in bank balance. It is delusional to think
that more wealth will make you happy (and it’s just plain sad to think
that you can buy mojo); therefore economics is founded on delusion.
Beyond shelter, warmth, food, clothing, companionship and a comfortable
pair of shoes, there is only entertainment; ask yourselves, Sisters and
Brothers, who suffers for yours?

5.The Thrill of Thrift
Sisters and Brothers, ‘Never buy what you can make ’; herein lies the road
to both creative happiness and financial independence (for spiritual
independence it is also worth observing the rule ‘Never break what you
cannot remake.’). When it comes to thrift we should look towards the past,
for not only have we have forgotten so many thrifty techniques (our
grandparents lived much thriftier – and therefore much more
environmentally friendly – lives than any modern ‘green god/goddess’), but
by using second hand clothes we can get some truly stylish threads.
Fashion is little more than creative fascism. I for one am way too vain to
wear somebody else’s name on my clothing; the clothes only maketh the man
if the man maketh (or upcycleth) the clothes. Every piece of ‘designer’
clothing is 100% pure wool – that is to say it is a covering for a sheep!;
see how faithfully the heard follows the fickle whim of an uptight Prima
Donna one day only to laugh at their fashion faux pas the next.
We like to think that we’re ‘unique’ and yet we spend a fortune on clothes
that will stop us from ‘standing out’ in a crowd, following fashion
guarantees nothing but anonymity. In clothing, décor, transportation and
gardening, do your own thing. Come gather ye peacocks and strut.