[noborders-brum] [Fwd: Re: URGENT: birmingham no borders]

Shiar shiar at riseup.net
Sun Dec 18 00:00:17 UTC 2005

Subject: Re: URGENT: birmingham no borders
From:    "sara b" <sara_b37 at hotmail.com>
Date:    Sat, December 17, 2005 5:32 am
To:      shiar at riseup.net

Hi Shiar,

We managed to find surety's and accommodation for Amanda - the woman I
emailed you about before, but now we're looking for one more surety for
another woman, Tambudzai, also in Birmingham.  Would you be able to forward
this to your list again?

Also, more generally, people from London No Borders have set up a support
working group, and we've been visiting  people in Yarl's Wood detention
centre in Bedford, and trying to help people get good lawyers, bail surety's
etc to get out of detention.  Most bail hearings for people in Yarl's Wood
are in Birmingham, and we really need more help with this kind of work.  Can
Birmingham No Borders perhaps discuss if any of you can offer any help,
either visiting people, going to bail hearings, making a list of people you
know in Birmingham who would be up for being sureties?

Tambudzai Kombe, a woman from Zimbabwe, is currently held in Tinsley House
Detention Centre, after a deportation attempt by the Home Office this week,
was cancelled at the last minute, after having to prove she was Zimbabwean
rather than Malawian.

Tambudzai is hoping to apply for a bail hearing as soon as possible but
urgently needs to find 2 bail sureties, if possible in the Birmingham area,
where she has accommodation. The hearing is likely to be in the next couple
of weeks (but obviously not on bank holidays etc).  If you can help, please
contact Alex on 07944 135 617 or at michael_bakunin at hotmail.com

For more info on bail sureties & the court process see:
http://www.biduk.org/pdf/bail_notebook/notebook_part_1_jan_2004.pdf
particularly pages 24-28.

Cheers,
Sara