[noborders-brum] joe howell

noidea at riseup.net noidea at riseup.net
Fri Dec 22 11:37:27 UTC 2006

I find Joe's comments highly abusive. Does anyone know who he is?

Funny how as soon as some men feel "discriminated" against they get so
angry. (And feminists are told we are the ones with chips on our shoulders
- get real!) What we are talking about here is the right for a bunch of
women to get together in a march with other women to protest about male
violence against women. I can't understand why this guy Joe can't be
supportive of women creating a safe space for women to come together and
support each other. How does he think a woman who has been a victim of
domestic violence, rape or other abuse would feel at being told she was a
sexist PIG at wanting to have this experience?

This is about women showing solidarity with other women. Anyone who can't
respect and understand that has no understanding of the extent of women's
oppresssion under patriarchy. And patriarchy is, amongst many other
things, ordinary men beating their wives, or keeping them suppressed by
other means etc. (In the same way as racism is perpetuated by ordinary
people's bigotry.)

RTN marches have never been about saying all ordinary men physically abuse
women. But they do point out how widespread male violence against women
is. I cannot understand how any man who really cares about women fighting
back against their oppression would not support women-only marches.

This comment goes no where near to explaining exactly what I wanted to say
but I'll post it.

noi