[noborders-brum] The Cottage of Content Occupied Social Centre

phunkee phunkee at riseup.net
Sun Jul 9 13:34:57 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone, got some great news!

A boarded up Community Centre in Sparkbrook called the Cottage of
Content has just been occupied for use as a Social Centre. The Community
Centre, which includes a garden and a large hall, was closed by
Birmingham City Council back in May 2005. It has since been boarded up
and left to rot whilst local people have lost a valuable community
resource. The Council are due to auction the property off on July 19th
for 'commercial use', although our occupation of the property seeks to
prevent this happening and aims to return the Cottage of Content to
community use.

The Social Centre Collective which includes local people meets every
Monday at 7:30 pm. Everyone's welcome to attend.

Here's the address: The Cottage of Content Occupied Social Centre, 147
Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook, B11 1SS

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=408140&Y=284947&A=Y&Z=1

You can get there pretty easily from town if you get on the no. 50 bus
and get off at Highgate Fire Station, where Moseley Road meets Highgate
Road (A4540). Then take a left down Montpellier Street, go under the
railway bridge and the Social Centre is on your right on the corner of
Montpellier Street and Krywicks Lane.

Here's the mailing list details if you'd like to get involved:

An embryonic media lab is being setup in one of the rooms with some
recyled linuxed pc's given to us by edinburgh imc where they were used
at last year's g8 protests. We haven't as yet got the means to get them
online, so if you've got any expertise in this area then it would be
greatly appreciated :)

Off the top of my head, here's the start of a wishlist for the social
centre:

soft furnishings - sofas etc
computer monitors and mice
working printer
hardware for a wireless setup
paint, brushes and rollers
hoover
cleaning materials
photocopier
paper
kids toys and books
gardening equipment
copper pipe for water - some fool has already entered the property and
half inched all the water pipe, so we need to get this fixed asap. We
have sufficient funds from previous social events at the Nursery Social
Centre to enable this.

a plumber!

phunkee