[noborders-brum] 'Axis of Evil, worst, state, welcome, beloved, hated, Iraq' - 15 Feb 07 - 80 items (approx)

frankslist.info frank.corrigan at frankslist.info
Fri Feb 16 09:21:06 UTC 2007

'Axis of Evil, worst, state, welcome, beloved, hated, Iraq'
Sent 16 Feb 07 - 80 items (approx)

To get these newsletters direct, just enter your email address at:
· http://www.frankslist.info
the asylum, immigration, conflict and rights information gateway

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
  Send News, Jobs, Events info to our 5000+ subscribers
  · Submit online:
  http://www.frankslist.info/newsjobsevents
  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

01: UK
02: Jobs
03: World
04: Events
05: Europe
06: How to get good asylum advice
07: Speech - Asylum is a Human Right
08: Renditions, Protect human rights in the 'War on Terror'
09: Uncomfortable Truths – the shadow of slave trading on
    contemporary art & design
10: Report  - Primary Health Services and migrant  communities
     issues and concerns
11: A Draft Report of a Pastoral Research Enquiry into the Needs of
    Migrants in London's Catholic Community
12: How to cancel or change your subscription to www.frankslist.info

Lead: 'Axis of Evil, worst, state, welcome, beloved, hated, Iraq'

Dramatic rise in Iraqi refugees
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6358137.stm

Ending hunger - A balance between free market and state
http://newsite.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=70149

A signature issue for government
"... searching for a dimension of the political process that embodies
his beloved vision of unifying Britishness then he need look no further
than the suddenly controversial issue of petitioning.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,,2012314,00.html

Cache of letters cast new light on fate of Anne Frank's family
Otto Frank made repeated entreaties to government agencies and friends
in the United States to try to secure visas for himself, his wife and
two daughters but met only intransigence.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2271645.ece
See:
Otto Frank File Found at YIVO
http://www.yivo.org/events/index.php?tid=154&aid=400

Once the most beloved country in the world, the US is now the most hated
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2012317,00.html

US to welcome 7,000 Iraqis
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2013034,00.html

Home Office deports 38 Kurds to Iraq
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article2268075.ece

Guterres urges greater support for countries hosting Iraqi refugees
http://www.unhcr.org.uk/PR07February2007.htm

UN welcomes US Iraq refugee plan
The UN estimates that up to 50,000 Iraqis flee each month and that 3.8m
have left since the war started.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6362289.stm

EU 'ignored CIA terror flights'
Report accuses EU countries of turning blind eye to rendition.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,,2012967,00.html

The state of European childhood
The worst place in the wealthy world to be a child is Britain
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2012820,00.html

Emulating US has led to poverty
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2271655.ece

01: UK

15 Feb 07

Asylum seeker wins court battle
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6365511.stm

Oztopal Family will be back in Glasgow where they belong
http://www.ncadc.org.uk/newszine79/0ztopal.html

End the Repression of people seeking asylum!
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/02/362383.html

British Airways was paid £4,328,263 to deport peope in one year
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/02/362375.html

World Refugee Day 2006 Final Report
http://www.unhcr.org/doclist/events/45d465d22.html

MP claims ID card scheme is a waste of public money
http://www.okehampton-today.co.uk/today/options/news/newsdetail.cfm?id=36602

Councils kept in the dark over plan to place failed asylum seekers in
contract housing
http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/article/?id=1448641

Nurse In Battle To Stay Put
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=161366&command=displayContent&sourceNode=162951&contentPK=16639704&folderPk=88498&pNodeId=162956

No Borders London: who we are what we do
http://noborderslondon.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-we-believe-and-what-we-do.html

Concert opens new road for advocacy
http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/viewinfo.cfm?id=3319
Links:
'Seeking Refuge' Exhibition
http://www.goethe.de/ins/za/prj/jue/enindex.htm
Solidarity Peace Trust
http://www.solidaritypeacetrust.org

A refugee from the rule book
When Martin Bloch fled Nazi Germany for Britain in 1934, he brought with
him a revolutionary artistic sensibility that overthrew the dreary
conformity of teaching in British art colleges
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/whats_on/listings/art/article1373054.ece
Link:
Exhibition: Martin Bloch is at the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts,
University of East Anglia, Norwich (01603 593199), until April 15
http://www.scva.org.uk/exhibitions/current/?exhibition=24

Disability Agenda launched - sets out challenges of next 20 years
http://www.cehr.org.uk/news/docview.rhtm/431727

Detention Watch from Zimbabwe Association
http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/viewinfo.cfm?id=3286

14 Feb 07

Twins Back In Detention
http://www.totallyjewish.com/news/national/?content_id=5624

Human rights are antidote to terrorism
Liberty welcomes Lord Chancellor’s support for human rights but calls
for more consistent Government anti-terror policy.
http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/news-and-events/1-press-releases/2007/lord-chancellor-speech.shtml

Friends of John Okello
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/02/362282.html

Unions unite against fascism
http://www.naar.org.uk/newspages/070214.asp

Cardboard Citizens to celebrate its 15th year helping the homeless
http://www.24dash.com/socialhousing/16561.htm

Britain 'ignored CIA terror flights'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2012965,00.html

Detention of Kurds increases concern over deportation policy
http://us.oneworld.net/article/view/146168/1/

Britain's children: unhappy, neglected and poorly educated
A damning Unicef verdict on the ordeal of growing up in Britain today
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2268082.ece

13 Feb 07

Sukula family 'can stay in Bolton'
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/display.var.1190227.0.sukula_family_can_stay_in_bolton.php

Bought and sold into slavery in today’s UK
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article1371351.ece

02: Jobs

ESOL and Arts Education Officer
http://www.peoplebank.com/pbank/owa/pbk24w12.main?p_User_PK_Id=&p_Cand_Id=&p_nGuestId=47915065.472873149261&p_adsearch_id=28019374&p_sAutoSearch=&P_AD_ID=2591058

Part-time Assistant to the Summer School and Overseas Links
Administrator.
http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/vacancies/vac_ssa130207

Part-time Refugee Parent Advocacy Worker
Location: Liverpool
Hours: 21 hours per week
Salary: Starting at £23,175 pa pro rata
Closing Date: 2 March 2007
http://www.refugee-action.org.uk/jobs/refugeeparentadvocacyworker.aspx

Sunrise Manager
Location: Manchester
Salary: Starting at £26,928 pa
Closing Date: 2 March 2007
http://www.refugee-action.org.uk/jobs/sunrisemanager.aspx

BID London - vacancies for 2 paid legal manager posts
(word doc)
http://www.biduk.org/pdf/jobs%202007/Legal%20Managers%20ad-1.doc

Job Vacancies (14 Feb 2007)
ECSR announcement: Exciting job vacancies in two of our member
organisations!...
http://www.ecsr.org.uk/cm/news/97

03: World

Refugee ruling on Rwandan widow
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6364179.stm

Commitment to children's rights pays off in Sweden
http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2268098.ece

Explosion kills 18 in Iran
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2268932.ece

Inter-Korean dialogue to restart
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6359999.stm

Bad behaviour works
http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,,2012313,00.html

Thousands flock to Hariri protest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6359669.stm

UN police chief in Kosovo quits

Bosnia’s Future: A New International Engagement Strategy
http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=4655&l=1

Guinea: Change or Chaos
http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=4661&l=1

India: ‘Hidden Apartheid’ of Discrimination Against Dalits
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2007/02/13/india15303.htm

Indonesia: Women domestic workers beaten, locked up and subject to
sexual violence
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=17268

Iraq's borders with Syria and Iran blocked
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2268091.ece

Russian army sold recruits for sex, rights group claims
http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2012559,00.html

04: Events

'Seeking Refuge' Exhibition
http://www.goethe.de/ins/za/prj/jue/enindex.htm
Solidarity Peace Trust
http://www.solidaritypeacetrust.org

Demonstration: Free Kareem Amer!
Venue: Egyptian Embassy, 26 South Street, London W1K 1DW
Date: 15 February 2007
Peaceful demonstration to support jailed Egyptian blogger Kareem Amer
and freedom of expression.
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/events_details.asp?ID=330

'Breaking the Silence': 10 years anniversary celebration
 Venue: St Ethelburga's, 78 Bishopsgate, London EC2N 4AG
Date: 27 February 2007
Star of stage, screen and television, Lynda Baron is hosting a
celebration of ten years of 'Breaking the Silence', an Amnesty's report
on human rights violations based on sexual orientation.
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/events_details.asp?ID=332

Monday 19 February
North London church to hold vigil for 'Living Ghosts'
Next Monday 19 February, St Ignatius Church in Stamford Hill (London
N15)
http://www.indcatholicnews.com/vigil321.html

To 15th Apr 2007
Exhibition: Martin Bloch is at the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts,
University of East Anglia, Norwich (01603 593199), until April 15
http://www.scva.org.uk/exhibitions/current/?exhibition=24

14th Jul 2007 - 2nd Sep 2007
Aftershock: Conflict, Violence and Resolution
http://www.scva.org.uk/exhibitions/forthcoming/index.php?exhibition=82

05: Europe

PICUM’s Comments on the Communication from the Commission on “Policy
priorities in the fight against illegal immigration of third-country
nationals” COM (2006) 402 final
(pdf)
http://www.picum.org/HOMEPAGE/CommentsCOM2006402%20final.pdf

Minority report
Why are only nine of the 785 MEPs non-white?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,,2012518,00.html

06: How to get good asylum advice

Advicenow's guide How to get good asylum advice has now been translated
into 12 languages and is available on the Multikulti website. The guide
explains how asylum seekers can avoid being duped out of money or
documents by fraudulent advisers/solicitors and how they can find a good
adviser/solicitor. Described by frontline workers as a 'vital piece of
work' and 'important and recommended reading for asylum seekers' you can
view the translated versions at http://www.multikulti.org.uk or download
the guide in English at http://www.advicenow.org.uk/asylumadvice.

07: Speech - Asylum is a Human Right

"If it was not torture, persecution and fear for our lives in our own
countries, we would not be here seeking asylum. Many of us were forced
to leave our families, jobs, and all our livelihoods to come here and
live in fear of being returned to the very situations which we fled
from..."
http://www.unitycentreglasgow.org/karibuspeech.html

08: Renditions, Protect human rights in the 'War on Terror'

CIA activities in Europe: European Parliament adopts final report
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/expert/infopress_page/019-3030-043-02-07-902-20070209IPR02947-12-02-2007-2007-true/default_en.htm

Terror tactics are being used by governments to break the will of
detainees in prisons such as Guantánamo Bay and Bagram. 'War on Terror'
prisoners are being transfered in rendition flights, carried out in
secret. Fundamental human rights protection mechanisms and the rule of
law are being compromised.
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/terror

Film - Outlawed: Rendition, Torture & the Disappearances in the "War on
Terror"
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/02/362372.html

Human rights are antidote to terrorism
Liberty welcomes Lord Chancellor’s support for human rights but calls
for more consistent Government anti-terror policy.
http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/news-and-events/1-press-releases/2007/lord-chancellor-speech.shtml

Amnesty response to vote on renditions at European Parliament - Scotland
must do more
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=17272

Amnesty response to vote on renditions at European Parliament
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=17270

09: Uncomfortable Truths – the shadow of slave trading on
   contemporary art & design

V and A Exhibition
http://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/future_exhibs/Uncomfortable_Truths/index.html

Free anti-slavery resource
http://www.teachingcitizenship.org.uk/news_item?news_id=85

10: Report  - Primary Health Services and migrant  communities
     issues and concerns

Full report: The identification and charging of Overseas Visitors at NHS
services in Newham: a Consultation
(PDF)
http://www.frankslist.info/primary.pdf
Note: You may need to download the latest version
      of Adobe PDF reader, go to:

11: A Draft Report of a Pastoral Research Enquiry into the Needs of
   Migrants in London's Catholic Community

The brief of this research was an exploratory study to enquire into the
lived experience of those members of the Church who have travelled from
other parts of the world
http://www.vhi.org.uk/publications/display.php?id=8&content_title=The%20Ground%20of%20Justice

Catholic report shows that migration is about need not numbers
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_070214hugel.shtml

To make changes or cancel, just click on the link shown below: