[noborders-brum] next meeting?

phunkee at riseup.net phunkee at riseup.net
Sun Jan 7 21:58:19 UTC 2007

no-idea said:

> Hi
>
> Just to let folks know voucher swapping has continued with some liasion
> between ARC and NoBorders. At the moment there are enough people committed
> to buying vouchers regularly to be able to swap £70 a fortnight with five
> people. But I agree that a system needs to be set up so that it is easier
> for more people to get involved. I must admit I have not had much luck
> getting a leaflet together yet.
>
> It would be good to approach shoppers outside supermarkets and try to
> persuade them to buy a voucher on their way in. But that would mean us
> having a supply of vouchers to sell. Maybe we need to try and find some
> people willing to leave some money in the scheme for a while so that we
> can get a supply of vouchers that we can then try and sell on. Obviously
> once we have started the money keeps coming in. Food Not Bombs would be up
> for doing this kind of thing at their regular food servings cos they are
> outside the Tesco on New St.

I used to 'co-ordinate' swapping vouchers like this, until i realised that
co-ordinating voucher swapping isn't particularly efficient, particularly
when i learnt someone was let down meeting up to swap vouchers at the
social centre.

On reflection i think that people could be paired up with people with
vouchers who live near to them and swap regularly with them - that's what
i've been doing for the past 6 months and it's a great way to meet people
and help them out with other stuff and it doesn't rely on one person.

> something for the agenda-
> banner drops
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/birmingham/2006/10/353129.html
> this was a very easy thing to do and it would be worth doing regularly and
> informing other groups such as ARC and NCADC how easy it is.

banner drops are all well and good if you can actually read them from the
road in a speeding car/bus.

Perhaps someone should make them bigger and clearer next time?

phunkee