[noborders-brum] [Fwd: Re: amnesty campaign]

Shiar shiar at riseup.net
Fri Mar 23 12:12:05 UTC 2007

Subject: Re: [noborders-uk] amnesty campaign

Hi

Their web-site is actually called Strangers into Citizens. It can be
found here: http://www.strangersintocitizens.org.uk/

The web-site emphasises ' earned amnesty' - and  champions the 'one
off regularisation'  of honest hard working migrants as a law and
order measure to decrease the 'shadow economy' which acts as a cover
for people smugglers, drug traffickers and terrorists . It is also an
administrative measure to deal with the backlog of asylum seekers-
which I guess might appeal to the government which is wondering what
to do with the  so called 'legacy" of back-log cases, now that the
New Asylum Model is about to come into effect

basically their aim is to reassure the "British public' and the
government that an amnesty will only be for the deserving (presumably
the IND will be the ones who get to decide who this is) and as such,
they argue that an amnesty can also serve to make British borders
more secure and border controls more effective

of course this is nonsense - as most people (though not all) enter
Britain legally and then latter become irregular by overstaying,
having their asylum claim rejected etc., - so the pool of irregular
and otherwise potentially deportable people will just grow again back
even if the tighter controls are put in place

I've also got a copy of the 5th draft of their strategy paper, from
last November, which was written by Austen Ivereigh - a former
adviser to Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor

In this document he sets out 5 criteria a British amnesty might
include so as to re-assure the 'public' and the state

a. five years of continuous residence in Britain (this seems to have
gone down to 2 years on the web-site)
b. no criminal record (I've been told by a T & G activists that this
has now softened to no serious criminal record)
c. a track record of employment (which asylum seekers won't have and
many irregular workers will find hard to establish)
d. positive employer references
e. character references from community leaders (think Catholic and
other churches here)
f. proficiency in English

Okay, as I noted in brackets, following feedback from other groups
such as the JCWI, the unions, asylum seekers etc. - the Strangers
into Citizens seem to relaxed some of the conditions - but what their
arguing for is still a very conditional regularisation -

however, because there are currently many, many people who
desperately want their status in the uk to be normalised - it is
quite likely that this initiative will mobilise a lot of asylum
seekers and other migrants -
COF wants to mobilise  people for a few marches as a publicity stunt
and as a show of strength - but then the leaders will work the real
deal - acceptable to the Home Office and the Sun - behind closed door
- a bit like how trade union officials work

My own opinion is that NoBorders activists ought to intervene in this
process - high-lighting the short comings of this amnesty -
but more importantly high- lighting how migrant controls work as
labour-force management on a transnational level
Migrant labour is crucial in the process of precarisation of the
whole work  process including that of workers with full residency
status / citizenship

We need to be advocating for migrants  and asylum seekers to organise
independently of the church and politicians - and to seek alliances
with other people in resistance on both the local and the trans-
national levels- not just amongst the great and the (self-defined) good

yo - rant over
see you on the demos-
gregx