[noborders-brum] [Fwd: [noborders-uk] no borders camp in uk and gatwick]

phunkee phunkee at aktivix.org
Wed May 9 21:38:29 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[noborders-uk] no borders camp in uk and gatwick
Date: 	Wed, 09 May 2007 14:34:50 -0700
From: 	beetle at riseup.net
To: 	noborders-uk at lists.riseup.net

hi all

The london and brighton groups met last week to discuss the idea of
doing a no borders camp near gatwick in september and then a bit on
our attempts to stop the gatwick detention centre. There were a few
things we thought we should feedback to this list. And lo and behold,
here they are!

re. the camp

The idea was had a while back to hold a no borders camp in the uk,
near gatwick in late september. We were roughly thinking of Wed 19th -
Sun 24th Sept though this isn't finalised yet. It would be good to get
other groups' thoughts on this plan, since it needs to be a a group
effort if it's going to be a success. Do we think it's a good idea?
can you help? Do the dates clash with a stop the war demo? :)

so yes, your thoughts are good but unfortunately we also need dosh,
quite a lot of it in fact. Are there any other groups who could
provide, raise, or steal some money :) We're looking into getting some
funding possibly, and doing gigs and stuff but other ideas are very
welcome!

Also, a call out and publicity postcard for this is on its way - it
would be great if people could contribute ideas and suggestions. We'll
put the drafts on the wiki (www.makebordershistory.org) so then we can
sort it all out collaboratively like.

Gatwick detention centre

we were thinking that it would be good to try and get more coverage in
the press about detention centres generally, in the run up to stopping
this one form being built (and the new one they want to build in
norwich). It'd be good to try and push the story that the bastards not
only have these ones but they are building more. So, we wondered
whether people could be keeping an eye out for media stories which
they can send letters about, or things that they can press release out
to places. Local press is great, since they might care a bit more
about public opinion around a detention centre than they do generally,
and in general a good thing for people to be more aware of what
cruelty exists on their doorstep blah blah.

also on the wiki  we've put up some embryonic research into the
gatwick thingy. It would be great if anyone has any time could do some
research into the whole thing - e.g. what other companies have
subcontracts for the building work. In particular it would be good to
find out which company will get the contract to operate the prison.
I've put the web links to the companies who already run others in the
uk - it'd be good to keep a watch on them since they will proudly
press release their win. We need to be finding leads on where to go
with all this but not many people have much time to devote to it. I'm
sure not many in other groups do either but if we all do a little bit
that's more than no one doing nothing blah blah.

that's quite enough of my badgering!

thanks, becca