[pagan-magik] Great

Jenny Gould jenny at gould.to
Mon Jan 10 14:05:26 GMT 2005

Another goup I am on provides quite a similar sort of intro proceedure. The
guy who runs the admin posts their reply, and people say what they think.
This can range from yeah, they are cool and do blah, to ohmy****** no way,
they are totally going to disrupt this group.

Plenty of people do not comment at all: some people get waved in quickly, and
some people cause huge and heated debates, often underling differing
perceptions of what the group is for, which takes time to resolve (and can
prove disruptive even if of itself may prove enlightening).

The while process is pretty flexible in time-scale, but is slower if they are
controversial. The result is that people join who are not likely to be there
to simply cause trouble, but instead are people who genuiely wish soething of
the following: fellowship, support for their lifestyle,  advice on problems
and conflict resolution, debate or political networking.  Personally I want
more out of the list that most, but respect there is only so  much energy I
can put into trying to transform others wishes. Lurking to read and learn
from other peoples' experiences, good or bad is of value to plenty less vocal
(which is what I hope to  get here).

Anyway, what I am trying to say is: yes I too think you have a cool intro
proceedure. Something similar has worked in a slightly different context for
several years without too much problem. However, two days seems rushed.
I would agree  a certain amount of instant gut feeling can be used, but you
need longer than 48 hours for a reaction from those who do not read mail that
often,  *if* the moderators is to be guided at all by a consensus, rather
than simply making a unilateral decision. Is there  urgency about getting
someone signed up? That I cannot understand, unless they are clearly involved
in an event which is being organised, and need access to the list in a hurry.
In that circumsatnce, that in iteslf is likely to suggest their suitability.

Jenny Gould
--

Share and Enjoy
        - Marketing Division, Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.