[pagan-magik] Subscription - really last post

Ian Gregory ianji at zenatode.org.uk
Sat Jan 15 14:26:08 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 03:18:00AM +0000, steve ash wrote:

> list, thus my own concerns about security. If people
> are sending each other private emails about PMA
> planning matters or are encypting things (which
> doesn't work by the way as all encryption systems have
> been cracked long ago), then I shall be feeling
> decidedly paranoid on this list.

A One Time Pad is an encryption system that is provably
secure and hence uncrackable - though there is a problem
with pad generation and distribution.

But there are other crypto systems which have neither been
cracked nor proved uncrackable. That is not to say that they
are totally secure since there is still the problem of key
distribution and the possibility of a brute force attack
(which may take months of supercomputer time and would
only be used for potentially high value information).

But this is beside the point. If you don't trust crypto
for sensative information then don't use it, but then *I*
wouldn't post such information to any list, whether or
not the archive is supposedly private.

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/