[pagan-magik] up! 0037// the so-called modern life that’s being pushed on the Gene Pool// 05 07 06

fraser fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
Wed Jul 5 02:59:52 BST 2006

TURN ON COMPUTER // TUNE IN TO FREED SPIRIT OF INTERNET // TAKE OVER!

“Another GREAT edition - it's plain that you're really moving on
from what needs to be corrected, the old shit,
to actual constructs for the future - UP! with you, matey, I say
- peace / love”  Richard Keber, Chicago.
up!

STOP THE WAR HUNGER STRIKE HAS BEGUN!
WASHINGTON (Reuters)  150+ protesters sat in front of the White House today
to savour their last meal before starting a hunger strike that will
continue until American troops return from Iraq
.  They crouched in the
muggy evening next to a piece of pink plastic table-cloth, spread down the
road, covered with wilted pink sunflowers and plates of vegetarian curry,
white rice, and beans
  Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan, whose son was
killed in Iraq, said she would drink only water throughout the summer,
which she will spend outside Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas
  "We have to
put our own lives on the line, and I'm willing to do that," said activist
Diane Wilson, who pledged to fast until the United States withdraws from Iraq.
SPREAD THE WORD!  DON’T LET ‘OUR’ OFFICIAL MEDIA (“so important for a
functioning democracy”) IGNORE THIS ONE!
up!

“When you think on our level, in understanding what is really happening in
this World, it’s very easy to be sucked into argument with those who still
trust their Governments and Media.  Such people are more to be pitied than
blamed, however, because their inability to see thru their Politicians’
deceptions puts them at a great disadvantage, long-term wise.  It’s a very
fruitless argument which only adds to our divide, which is all The
Establishment wants to achieve.  A lot more can be gained by spreading the
truth to those open to the truth and who take the time regularly to remain
updated.  The ‘be-lievers’ are lost and enslaved in their own false
World.  Well, somebody else’s at any rate!  Let them be!  Let them
be-lieve!”  Graham Jukes.
up!

Get UP!  Stand Up For Your Rights (and everybody’s too of course! :)
(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
u cant understand the world without innerstanding yourself
the up! 0036 //, 05, 07
MAKE UP! YOUR MIND!!!
u cant innerstand yourself without understanding the world
(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
     Get UP!  Don’t Give Up The Fight (only we don’t mean violence, ok? :)

.. contents...
p.02  MAGIC BUS: On the Hippie Trail from Istanbul to India.  REVIEW
p.07  caravanseraiclub safari/morocco 2006//FEEDBACK
p.08  caravanseraiclub safari [cont]
p.08  Ooops, We Didn’t Start With A Big Bang After All but do ‘scientists’
say sorry?! Do pigs fly?  Scientists say ‘impossible’!
p.09  Frontiers of Time: Retro-Causal Theory  it looks like
megatripolis at forever is/was/will be right!
p.11 Hunger Strike To End Iraq War //FEEDBACK
p.14  The Great Turning: Empire To Community //FEEDBACK
p.17  Heaviest Element Discovered - GOVERNMENTIUM!
p.18  'Thirst For Knowledge' May Be Opium Craving
up!

\)))))//
__,,,,_{ô¿ô}_,,,,___fraser
am so excited by this passage i just read that i interrupt everything else
am working on!  i suppose, though, if i was one of those competitive
for-money writers that pervade our society, i would keep quiet about it
until i have stitched it into Monkey’s Marvellous Trip, my short
alternative history of humankind on earth.

it’s from a truly worthy and thought provoking book by Riane Eisler with
the terrible title of ’The Chalice And The Blade’ which, i assure you, is
not in the least New Agey.  since it was first published in 1987 it should
be variable in all libraries.  she is so spot on to what really matters
that i hardly need to introduce and set it for UP! readers:

As Platon writes, “The whole of Cretan life was pervaded by an ardent faith
in the goddess Nature, the source of all creation and harmony.  This led to
a love of peace, a horror of tyranny, and a respect for the law.  Even
among the ruling classes personal ambition seems to have been unknown;
nowhere do we find the name of an author attached to a work of art nor a
record of the deeds of a ruler.”

'In our time, when “a love of peace, a horror of tyranny and a respect for
the law” may be required for our survival, the differences between the
spirit of Crete and that of its neighbours are of more than academic
interest.  In the Cretan towns without military fortifications, the
“unprotected” villas on the edge of the sea, and the lack of any sign that
the various city-states within the island fought one another or embarked on
aggressive wars (in sharp contrast to the walled cities and chronic warfare
that were elsewhere already the norm) we find this firm confirmation from
our past that our hopes for peaceful human coexistence are not, as we are
so often told, “utopian dreams”.

‘And in the mythical images of Crete  the Goddess as Mother of the
universe, and humans, animals, plants, water and sky as Her manifestations
here on Earth  we find the recognition of our oneness with nature, a theme
that is today also remerging as a prerequisite for ecological survival.’
up!
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
TEXT JOCKEY // TJ PHRASER (Fraser Clark) & THE MEDIA EVOLUTION
MIXING THE TRACTS LIVE ON THE KEYBOARD
@ A MEDIA-MEME RATE OF 160 IPP *   * Ideas Per Paragraph
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

\)))))//
__,,,,_{ô¿ô}_,,,,___fraser
the so-called modern life that’s being pushed on the Gene Pool is becoming
so superficial and boring (behind the increasing multitude and
tecno-complexity of the whole, well, Nothing-Really-Happening ‘Spectacle’)
that people are starting to search deeper, beneath the headlines, and into
the areas that this Society has made tabu.

Timothy Leary is moving inexorably towards being accepted as a Saint in the
true sense of the word.  Ask anyone under 30 who Nixon was and who Leary
was and you can see that already History is separating the wholewheat from
the chaffinch.  and so the powers that be (whether fully consciously or
not) are paying big money for books on the subject AS LONG AS THEY TRASH
THEIR SUBJECT! cunning huh?  NOT!  depends how cunning YOU are.

Robert Greenfield’s “TIMOTHY LEARY: A Biography” is the current market
leader and the UP! advises you to totally ignore it.  There are two other
Leary books just out by writers who probably never even tried any of
Leary’s methods and who certainly don’t believe you should!  Ignore them
too!  ‘Straight’ people never understood what Leary or True Hippies were
about at the time so why would you turn to a straight guy now?!  Read the
man directly if you feel the urge, till people force the chart-toting
publishers to cater to their needs.

Here’s a disgusting example from the Greenfield hatchet job:
I believe for the first time  the sequence of events that triggered Leary’s
most perfidious act. After escaping from prison in San Luis Obispo, where
he was serving 20 years for possession of a small amount of marijuana, he
made his way to Algeria, which then had no extradition treaty with the U.S.
He escaped the clutches of Black Panther Party minister of information and
fellow exile Eldridge Cleaver, who put Leary and his third wife, Rosemary,
under house arrest. Lured to Afghanistan, the Learys were captured by the
CIA and flown back to the U.S. in chains. Fifty-three years old, facing the
possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison, Leary cut a deal
with his jailers. In the process, he snitched out the very lawyers who’d
fought to keep him out of jail; the Weather Underground people who’d
organized his prison break; the Laguna Beachbased dope-smuggling family,
the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, who’d financed it; and even his now ex,
Rosemary, who’d been forced to go underground. Few grownups swallowed
Leary’s lame-ass excuse  that it wasn't really snitching because he’d told
so many lies already, nobody in law enforcement should have believed
anything he said.
 >> first that was only the jokey part of Tim’s defence.  second, he was
perfectly aware of the dangers of his path when he chose it, and so was
Rosemary.  third, most of whatever info he had was several years old by
then, with the involved individuals well warned and perfectly aware of any
dangers.  fourth, though sell-outs like Dylan were slow in building Leary’s
defence fund, others were more willing and, as far as I can remember, he
was still in jail on the original charge of possessing ONE joint.  fifth,
though the period was grim indeed, the authorities had been shaken to their
very roots by the people’s movement which had built out of nowhere and had
learned very well indeed the danger of creating ‘martyrs’ which, for all
they knew, might soon occur with Tim.  (yes, it’s taken much longer but how
were they to know that?)  and so sixthly (for now) their best hope was to
release him ‘suspiciously early’ while putting out the story that matey
Greenfield has just put into your consciousness.  YOU’VE SEEN ALL THIS SHIT
BEFORE REMEMBER?!  THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME!  THEY DID IT TO ME:)

upfeedback - Dear Fraser, I ran into Matthew Mighty Eye the other nite and
we were talking about the media scene here in LA... It really seems to me
there is going to be a Boom or huge interest in making films about the 60's
or the counter culture ideas. The reaction to the recent Leary bios is
pretty extreme and now 3 or so  films are trying to go into production.
Especially , Leo DiCaprio playing Leary in  his film has really pumped up
renewed interest.
<<maps.org>>

upfeedback - the main story I've heard is they do not actually have a
script! I think they are not sure what the story is! So anyone who can come
up with something may have a chance with their script. Oliver Stone will
want to do a Leary film. Tim Robbins etc.
This Leonard Cohen film was mind blowing to me and is an example...
michael shields, LA.
http://www.leonardcohenimyourman.com/

MAGIC BUS: On the Hippie Trail from Istanbul to India
by Rory MacLean [Viking £16.99]
REVIEW by Robert Sandall/ The Sunday Times
This book reminds us that the origins of contemporary travel writing lie in
the impulse of a generation of 1960s longhairs to head off for extended
vacations on the Indian subcontinent.  It took a decade for authors such as
Bruce Chatwin to give it literary shape: the loosely structured anecdotes,
the emphasis on chance encounters, and a pervasive sense that the travel
writer’s job is to hang out, antennae flapping, as much as to journey
purposefully towards a destination.

But the impetus for the new experiential approach lay in the waves of
western babyboomers who embarked on the Asia overland route - the so-called
“Hippie Trail” - from around 1965.

Their agenda included spiritual enlightenment, unlimited cheap dope and the
opportunity to loiter for months in a part of the world where a backpacking
“head”, in flight from the stifling routines of suburbia, could subsist for
a few pence a day.
 >> and from a deeply sick western ‘civilisation’ whose cancer wasn’t to
became obvious to a majority 40 years later, like today.

By 1967, the year the Beatles went to meditate with the Maharishi in
Rishikesh, the Indian government estimated that there were 10,000
“youthful” foreigners in the country.
 >> i’ll never forget a Times of India editorial celebrating “these western
truth seekers”.

Five years later the same number crossed the border from Pakistan in a
single week, and in 1973 the French reckoned that India was where 250,000
of its citizens had taken up temporary and sometimes permanent residence.

Much has changed today.  So much, in fact, that, in retracing the steps of
the original hippies, Rory MacLean only has to turn up to secure the
material for an absorbing, multilayered narrative.  The “reeling hedonists”
who journey to India today share little of their predecessors’ desire for
spiritual adventure, he feels.  As a consequence, few travel books are able
to reflect so fruitfully on their own back story as this sweet and sour
account of the most recent phase of the faltering East/West dance.

MacLean’s path is strewn with fascinating relics.  In Pakistan he bumps
into John Butt, the Dylan-loving, Manchester United-supporting Muslim
chaplain of Cambridge University who converted to Islam while wandering in
the Punjab in 1969 and who still discerns the words of the Prophet in the
lines of Dylan songs such as The Gates of Eden.  Hetty, a 70-year-old from
Hampstead, London, whom he meets in Istanbul and again in Kathmandu, is a
hippie throwback who firmly believes her son to be one of two
reincarnations of a Tibetan Buddhist leader.
 >> i knew this lady quite well in Kathmandu and later in Hampstead.  her
very young son opted to join the tibetan monastery while they were living
in Nepal which must make him one of the very first westerners to do so.  so
why wouldn’t a karmapa opt to be reborn in him?

At the other extreme, MacLean encounters plenty of locals convinced that
Hetty and her tribe are credulous idiots. “The myth of self-discovery did
wonders for our foreign-currency reserves,” one young Indian businessman
observes acerbically.  “Those gurus sold themselves with the same smart
marketing that sold flower power.”

Almost everybody MacLean meets is keen to add to a rich cacophony of views
on the meaning of life.  “The only viable, enduring philosophy now is
wealth creation,” says Jim, an American oil man building the new pipeline
to carry crude oil from the Caspian to the Mediterranean.  Laleh, an
embittered Iranian woman, about to be taken to live in Paris by her
brother, thinks that MacLean has lost his moral compass: “Hence your
dislocation and fragmentation . . . You are a cancer.”>> sounds about right
if the guy quotes a dumb yank in a book about Eastern Spirituality and Hippies.
what’s happening at the moment is that people are getting very very
interested in what this whole era was about.  (and is still about tho you
could be forgiven for thinking it all ended in 1971 when Punk came
along)  they yearn for some truth and sincerity in their increasingly empty
and innerly tortured lives.  so all sorts of assholes who really understand
nothing about the subject are hacking out books about the real people FOR
MONEY!  there are 3 new books out on Leary, for example, which i haven’t
bothered to review because not a one of the authors truly ever connected
with what it’s all about.  they’re writing books about swimming but have
never been in the Ocean.  i know a writer on Hippies who tried acid once
and got drunk while doing it, for goddess’s sake!
but the news is good.  eventually people will DEMAND the REAL fukkin TING :)

Politically, the book tells a sorry tale.  Many of the countries on the
overland route have mutated from sleepy dictatorships where travellers
shared joints with border guards in remote mountain passes, into vicious
hotbeds of Muslim fundamentalism.
 >> and this is totally unconnected with the fact that later westerners
came there to right royally screw and invade them?  and wouldn’t share a
joint with any of them?!  the author AND the reviewer are equally ignorant
of their subject.

Once viewed with bemused acceptance,
 >> genuine brotherly respect.  see Times of India above.

western tourists have become a prime target for suicide bombers.

The section on war-torn Afghanistan is the darkest, and also the most
surprising.  MacLean offers a full inventory of horrors: two thirds of
Afghan children have witnessed the killing of a relative or friend;
 >> like i was saying, THAT had nothing to do with their original friendly
hosting of course not!

most of the country’s art treasures have been vandalised; Soviet butterfly
mines designed to look like plastic toys have left thousands maimed, and so on.

But then, at an American airbase to which his flight has been diverted, the
mood lightens.  MacLean finds himself in a servicemen’s bar where everybody
is wearing full hippie regalia and dancing to Aquarius, the 1960s
anthem.  Later, in the devastated city of Bamiyan, he meets Sanjar, the
most optimistic character in the whole book, who has managed to build a
working community-television station out of bits of discarded technology.

The most damaging development for anybody now contemplating a 4,000-mile
road trip, MacLean suggests, is the detailed mapping of every stage of the
journey by the pioneers.  When the British couple Tony and Maureen Wheeler
set off across Asia in a £65 Minivan in 1964, there were no travellers’
guides to the world east of Istanbul.  Today, the Wheelers’ Lonely Planet
series is the most prominent reminder that journeys into the unknown are a
thing of the past.  “Rather than inspirational, the travel market is now
aspirational,” MacLean notes, regretfully.

MacLean’s persistent contention is that the legacy of the 1960s “is living
both in the moment and in the mind . . . striving to understand how it
feels to be alive”.  After such a long and interesting journey, you’re not
inclined to argue.
Available at
timesonline.co.uk/booksfirst
up!

caravanseraiclub safari/morocco 2006//FEEDBACK

hi Phraser,
great newsletter!

btw, re/ the kidney warming idea, the chinese seem to have some sort of
wrap-around clothing piece that goes on underneath shirt to protect kidneys
from the cold.
 >> inneresting will check @ next chinese shop i pass :)  but it's an old
victorian habit and supposedly still available in gentlemen’s shops
(wherever they are and probly xpensive)

i might try one of them, as i do think it is a good idea.  it is winter at
the moment in byron bay, however there is no snow etc.
 >> it may be relative how would i know?

actually it did snow once in the late ‘70s when i was a child, 45 minutes
out into the mountains away from the coast, but i doubt anyone would
believe me unless they saw it themselves.
Jasper, Byron Bay, Australia.
 >>I DON'T BELIEVE YOU.

Hey Fraser,
Moving speakers go back to the early 1940s at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_speaker
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vrbass/vibratone/

An old hippy like you should have known that...
Dave Gorman. Cambridge ; )
 >> zippy ain’t no hippy (exactly half
 to be exact :)  but how does that
work then?  am not talking about bands on stage, this was one dude creating
waves for a very small group, of two in this case.
up!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Prends Ton Temps, Camping Auberge, Zagora, Morocco.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY ZIPPIES!
www.campingauberge.skyblog.com
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

caravanseraicpllub safari/morocco 2006 [cont]
the great healing reward
The advance party of the Caravanseraiclub has re-established residence in
the Oukaimeden Hotel in Marrakech, with its Millionaire’s view over the
amazing, fantastic Jamaal el Fna square that seems to boom and swirl
forever since whenever.

Caress and I came up on the overnight express bus from Zagora, arriving 8
Atlas Mountain hours later, just after 2 am, in a slightly cold air as we
sipped real coffee and hugged our bags to us in the all-nite café next to
the bus station.  Would Chris really have booked us a single room each as
he’d promised on the phone?  Yes!  Though my room smelled, we crashed out
after sharing an exhausted joint.  And I changed to this lovely single room
the following day.

Chris?  An UP! reader who’d been in internet connection for the past week,
and had flown in from London 2 days before.  James, my dear old buddy, is
due in tonight, I think.  Also 2 Dutch cats who never showed up in the
end.  And Driss, the hotel manager, named after the first guy to bring
Islam to Morocco, says Kim and her companion Graham dropped by
yesterday.  (they gave up on finding us and headed off to the mountains
where they had a “lovely lovely time” according to Kim.)

Lucy, Max and Liz (whom I’ve started calling “Yer Maj”, the Drama Queen of
Australia because of her slightly lurid vision of things) are off on a 3
day safari up into the mountains because they’ll be flying home to London
on their return.  And Lisa, after emailing that, in Chefchaoun, the second
most important hashish centre after Ketama (where she bumped into the older
French lady who was with us in the desert for a day) is now hitching up
towards Madrid.  She says the French lady had lost 40,000 Durham (£2500) on
some kinda dope deal.  Wow!  No wonder she looked so pale and stressed!

So we’re into the final 3rd of the trip!  No eyes, legs or feet
lost  though several kilos in weight :)  You could say we ‘survived’ the
desert, and certainly it felt like that when our poor burned skins felt the
slight chill in the fresh air (of Marrakech!).  No dust in the air, less
and less sand in the hair and bum, and not a sneering camel in sight!

I sit here tonight in my room, cleanly showered, in my new (£20) shirt
(which I had tailored in Zagora and which I LOVE!) seated at a real
table!  With a light hanging immediately above my head!  A bag of Zagora
dates and a bottle of water by my side.  What I puff probably passed
through here on its journey from the mountains to find me down south in the
desert via Brahim :)

Return To The Big Oasis
One of those phut phut bikes disappears into the invisible (silent) night.
Ahmed wending homewards from the late Jamaa el Fna market?

And allatonce, as I put pen to paper,
All those inter-cultural-personal froths and existential sandstorms are

The Past.  (what else did I expect?!)
And it’s Me, Again, Here,
In this Grand Oasis after the Sahara.

Oh, I know this Me Here Place.  Each time I return, I look in vain
For deposits left by the intervening experiences and perceptions.
But it’s not like that.  Or not mostly that.

We are Movies to Ourselves, each layer leering at the plot in front.
Thru a bus window this man sees house after house and lampposts
While the man behind sees flowers, that dog, a reflection
that reminds him of desert light just before sunset, that’s all.
All?!  Yes, all!

It’s just Me. Being. Everyone. Always. Here. Me.
fraser clark, Marrakech, 2006.
[cont below]
up!

(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o
  the UP! is a global edutainment round-up, broadcast weekly to =[14,124]=
Alternative// Activist// Zippy// Trance// New Age// Peace folks
recommended to the Parallel YOUniversity// Megatripolis Dance Dept as
  "showing signs of life".  Since recipients forward it widely to their own
lists & sites,
we conservatively estimate 50,000+ direct recipients.
A further 40,000 read it on the YOUniversity's site.
And, because of its 'mix' of 'specialist' & 'general' content,
    it's increasingly being posted on a variety of sites worldwide,
making an estimated total weekly readership of =[275,000]=
(\o/)(\o/)\(o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o

Ooops, We Didn’t Start With A Big Bang After All
Do Scientists apologise for making most of the Gene Pool think they were
the inevitable outcome of a totally purposeless Big Bang occurring
accidentally in an area smaller than a gnat’s turd?  NO, they come up with
another theory, are you ready?
The Universe had no unique beginning, announced Stephen Hawking of the
University of Cambridge and Thomas Hertog of the European Laboratory for
Particle Physics at CERN in Geneva.  Instead, the countless "alternative
worlds" of String Theory may actually have existed.
If you listen carefully to the following paragraphs from the news report
you can glimpse that, far from being Intellectual Giants of the human mind
(as out semi-demented excuse for a civilisation arrogantly assumes), these
are 2 guys with a very narrow range of experience who are squirming their
way unconsciously towards the foothills of Higher Understanding.  or not :)

We should picture the Universe in the first instants of the Big Bang as a
superposition of all these possibilities, they say; like a projection of
billions of movies played on top of one another.

They call their theory "top-down" cosmology,
 >> i call it ass backward :)

because instead of looking for some fundamental set of initial physical
laws under which our Universe unfolded,
 >> like they’ve been doing for the last cuppla decades

it starts "at the top," with what we see today, and works backwards to see
what the initial set of possibilities might have been.  In effect, says
Hertog, the present "selects" the past.
news at nature.com
 >> any millennium now they’ll discover that the Future Perfect is all that
exists (call it Goddess if you will) and it draws us through it’s many
Pasts towards us.  like megatripolis at forever explores.
up!

IF U STILL HAVEN’T GOT HOLD OF megatripolis at forever
BECAUSE YOU DON’T YET SENSE THE RELEVANCE OF TIMETRAVEL,
CHECK THIS OUT AND THEN GETTIT FROM
http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/ebooks/index3.php

Frontiers of Time:
Reverse Causation ­ Experiment and Theory
Symposium
@ University Of San Diego, San Diego, CA.
Causality, the notion that earlier events can affect later events but not
vice-versa, undergirds our experience of reality and physical
law.  Causality is predicated on the forward unidirectionality of
time.  However, most physical laws are time symmetric; that is, they
formally and equally admit both time-forward and time-reverse
solutions.  Time-reverse solutions are distressing because they would allow
the future to influence the past, i.e., reverse causation.

Why time-forward solutions are preferentially observed in nature remains an
unresolved problem in physics. (While the most convincing explanations
invoke the second law of thermodynamics, wavefunction collapse or the
expansion of the universe, in the end, purely forward causation is an
ad-hoc physical assumption.)

Experimental evidence for reverse causation is scarce and open to
alternative explanations.  The best (and perhaps only) evidence comes from
parapsychology, including human psychophysiological responses to future
stimuli and mind-matter interactions with random physical systems.  While
laboratory results are intriguing, theoretical models to explain such
outcomes have lagged and those that exist have not yet made deep enough
connections with mainstream physics.  Even the most basic physical
constraints  e.g., whether reverse causation is best explained by energy
transfers or simply by correlations without information exchange  remain
open questions.

This symposium will explore recent experiments, theory, and philosophical
issues connected with reverse causation.

SPEAKERS:
Harold Atmanspacher (Max Planck Institute, Freiburg, Germany, "From the
dynamics of coupled maps to the psychological arrow of time."
Richard Broughton (University of Northampton), "Encounters with the
frontiers of time: Questions raised by anomalous human experience."
Richard Bierman (University of Amsterdam, Netherlands), "Empirical research
on the radical subjective solution of the measurement problem. Does time
get its direction through conscious observation?"
Jean Burns (J. Consciousness Studies), "Is the action of the mind carried
out on a molecular level?"
John Cramer (University of Washington), "Reverse causation and the
transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics."
York Dobyns (Princeton University), "Retrocausal information flow: What are
the implications of knowing the future?"
Avshalom Elitzur (Weizmann Institute, Israel), "Retrocausal quantum
measurement: Some recent findings and their theoretical implications."
Gerhard Hahne (NASA Ames Research Center), "Schrodinger equation for joint
bidirectional motion in time."
Joop Houtkooper (Justus-Liebig-Univ. of Giessen), "Time-reversed causation
or extant indefinite reality?"
Roger Nelson (Princeton University), "Anomalous anticipatory responses in
networked random data."
Fotini Pallikari (University of Athens, Athens, Greece), "Some evidence for
reverse causation and physical interpretation."
Dean Radin (Institute of Noetic Sciences, CA), "Psychophysiological and
perceptual tests of possible retrocausal effects in humans."
Elizabeth Rauscher (Techic Research Laboratory, Arizona), "The speed of
thought: Investigation of a complex space time metric to describe psychic
phenomena."
Richard Shoup (Boundary Institute, CA), "Physics without causality --
Evidence and theory."
Henry Stapp (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of
California, Berkeley, CA), "Purported causal anomalies within a
quantum-theoretical context."
Walter von Lucadou (WGFP, Freiburg, Germany), "Self-organization of
temporal structures -- A possible solution for the intervention problem."
www.sou.edu/aaaspd/SanDiego2006/Symposia06.html#10
up!

caravanseraiclub safari/morocco 2006
Essaouira-by-the-Sea
For the last 40 years I’ve carried this utterly wrong picture of
Essaouira.  All because a friend’s post card of 5 simple houses on the edge
of a beach left me with an impression of this small village hardly worth a
visit.

(I think it must actually have been of the tiny “hippy village” of Diabet 3
miles away which now proudly boasts the Hotel Hendrix  a Moroccan friend
says Joe Cocker definitely lived here, but maybe not Hendrix, though others
maintain some of the Stones hung out here with Jimmi, no doubt Brian Jones
who everyone knows was well into Morocco’s Jajouka music.  Anyway, the
Hotel Hendrix has clearly had some serious money invested, which hasn’t
paid off because the lovely rooms can be hired for £3.50 a night.)

Entirely contrary to my 40 year old assumption, however, the truth is that
if I’d sat down to describe a writer’s perfect little city, Essaouira is
what I would have came up with!  A 4 hour flight from London, to the
Atlantic shoulder of Morocco where the wind never stops, lies this (fairly)
ancient, totally walled and ramparted little city, cuter than a Devonshire
town, but bustling with real life and a living port with 50 fishing boats
that set out each morning to supply the inhabitants and restaurants all
over France with a wild variety of marine life.

The walled city sits on the edge of a promontory into the Ocean, looking
south over a mile long sandy beach  we find out they trucked in thousands
of tons of sand to convert a pebbly beach into a Riviera one (no lack of
sand!)   Inside the walls 200 tiny crooked cobbled alleyways crisscross and
network a living community.

Beautiful!  Romantic!  And so human scale, with no room to erect any large
modern building and nothing in the whole city over 3 floors!  Orson Wells
shot some scenes of Othello here, up on the castle ramparts with
Desdemona.  Thrilling!  Compleat unto itself.  Self-sufficient if
necessary.  Hot and sunny, yes, but cool and fresh because of the constant
trade winds.  I’m back a month in London now and lusting quietly for it as
I write.

In one half of the city they’re converting crumbling old buildings and
forts into a vast array of shops and markets with their kaleidoscopic
arrays of crafts and arts for the tourists.  The tourists are Moroccan and
‘alternative’, here for its historical Hippy connections, and the nearest
airport is Agadir, 500 miles to the south.

It’s Morocco’s Bohemia, inspired by the original hippies (“everyone’s an
artist”) and now filled with the (mostly slightly corny) offerings of what
the Rough Guide calls the “primitive school” :)  You even see Moroccan
women out in the evening!  The Guide even says it’s a bit dangerous in one
part of the city after nightfall!  How far from my Assumption!

The other half of the city, across the swarming central high street, is
where the denizens live, and everything is domestic, hamams, stationers
selling only Moroccan mags, jotters and rubbers (the ones on the ends of
pencils, oh no that’s worse!) bakers, tailors, and very very cheap fishfry
shops with an upstairs window from where you look down on the teeming life
below.  Which James and I do most days, followed by a café au lait in the
Champs Elysee  we’ve renamed several of the streets since they’re mostly
unpronounceable :)

A writer’s place!  When one of those dozy publishers finally realises
what’s going on here, or plucks up the courage for my kinda full-on
broadside against what we laughingly call our ‘civilisation’, and
commissions me to complete one of my many written works, this is the kinda
place I‘d choose to come for a month’s serious editing :)  It’s utterly
safe within the walls, and timeless.  And philosophical par
excellence.  [cont below]
up!

Hunger Strike Set To End Iraq War //FEEDBACK

Very moved by these brave efforts.
Please send me an address as I would like to send the gift of a song.
Take Care.
francie conway, Satellite Records, Belfast.
www.conwaygroove.com

dear cindy your e mail has passed on through scotland and UK.  GOD BLESS.
Peter Campbell, edinburgh.

Good now they will starve to death and shut the hell up. Go BUSH!!
Anann, St Louis, US.
 >> yeah, go! for everyone’s sake.
and you'll call it a "PR stunt" right?
your bomms are making a hell of a lot more noise than they are, so why
should THEY shut UP!?

Hmmmm, its a nice idea if it works.  But note that they only mention meals
not water, so no one’s gonna die in 80 days.  So Bush can ignore
it.  Though it has potential to tippublic opinion I guess, particularly if
someone takes it too far.  But I hope they don't!
Steve Ashe, London.

Dear Brave and Committed Friends,
ALL OF YOU WILL BE LAUNCHING A WONDERFUL CAMPAIGN THROUGH THE HUNGER STRIKE
AGAINST PRESIDENT BUSH'S BARBARIC POLICIES, ON THE 3 - 4 JULY. MY HEARTIEST
CONGRATULATIONS AND SOLIDARITY WITH YOU.

YES, I HOPE AMERICAN CITIZENS WILL IMPEACH THIS PRESIDENT SOONER OR LATER.

ALL BEST WISHES,
E.P.Menon, Bangalore, India. [WorldPeaceActivistwhohas marched around the
world on foot to fight nuclear weapons,militarismandwaranywhereandeverywhere].
up!

caravanseraiclub safari/morocco 2006
the palace of the haj
The caravanseraiclub consisted of 5 members now.  Myself, James, Caress,
Chris and, yes, Buchera.  Deciding she was not a hooker or up to anything
bad, we’d invited her along, agreeing to jointly pay her costs.  She was a
good travelling companion who shopped and cooked (once we’d found the Haj’s
palace) and helped generally as a go-between, though every go-between is
ultimately and perfectly logically a Moroccan too!

It was thanks to her we found and spent our whole time there in probably
the finest and tallest old house in the city  standing, despite what I
said, 4 floors high, with an open roof above that presented you with the
whole city, the mile long beach with Diabet just visible, the bustling port
before us (and America if you kept going!), and a rocky east side of
smashing breakers just outside the walls.  James and I spent every evening
up there, puffing and watching individual birds wheeling in the gusty winds
to work out what they were up to and oh discussing Life and our dreams and
disappointments, not that things hadn’t evolved as we’d envisioned, just
more slowly than our impatient youth had encouraged us.

Although the palace was all of £6.50 a night each (which by now seemed like
a small fortune) it was a very very special place.  It had several
different rooms, including a large kitchen/bedroom/shower on the lower
roof, and a totally separate, self-contained room and bathroom in the
opposite corner.

“The Haj”, our landlord, was this cranky old boy whose name seemed more of
a title - for a Muslim who’s visited Mecca for The Haj.  James’s first
impression was he was a Sufi, mine a kind of Shylock, but he had this
irritable sparkly eyed look about him :)  It seems many of the grandest
houses in the old city are being bought up by “the Jews”.  You can see this
from our roof because, so someone told us, they always paint their windows
and frills blue, and there were a lot of them.  But the story was that Haj,
as we addressed him, had refused massive offers to sell, including a strong
‘recommendation’ from the chief of police.

If he seemed to me like a money grabbing old bugger, maybe he had to be to
maintain this magnificent house.  Be that as it may, there was a genuine
misunderstanding over money because I had the distinct impression our group
rent covered all the rooms on the top 2 floors, but which turned out to be
just 2 of the lower, and always stuffy rooms.  Despite that, however, we
had access to the amazing roof area.

Truly, for those who made it this far (Caress, Buchera and I since the
others had just arrived) this was the Great Healing.  I spent the first 5
days blissing out while being pulled aimlessly through the lovely lanes and
byways and the teeming kids and laughs and yells, thanking Goddess for
bringing me through intact, even grown.  And I spent the second 5 days
slowly slowing down towards boredom and a longing for London, the Centre of
the World (globo-culturally).  That’s what I hope for on every
caravanseraiclub outing, and that’s why I think you need a minimum of a
moon for closure.  You should return full of energy and grateful for being
home.  And I felt sorry for Lucy, Liz, Max and the others who, in their
biziness, had missed this part of the Healing.

A typical day?  They were all typical!  Each morning I’d rise when I felt
like it.  Nothing unusual there of course, I do the same in London.  But
then I’d grab a blanket and head up into the sunshine and wind swept roof,
take a long cool look over the teeming port below (most of the boats would
be back my now to serve the customers).  The hundreds/thousands of huge
Atlantic coast gulls would be squawking away and swooping right over my
head, the breakers would be crashing on the rocks below where individual
Moroccans would be fishing or skimming the pools to recycle and living food.

There I’d do my hour of yoga.  Yes, even a month back in London now I can
report success in this particular aim of establishing an hour of daily yoga
in my life.  I’m maintaining this suppleness-inducer back here too.  Far
less strictly than my previous decades of regular yoga which I somehow
lost, but  I mean sometimes I do half an hour with the tv on and then the
other half in the evening before bed.  And I haven’t exactly established a
daily pattern, more like 5 days a week.  Nor have I yet (which is the final
test) got to the point of MISSING it when I don’t do it, but that will no
doubt come if I persevere :)

After that it’s time for the morning coffee and ciggy.  Down the reverse
spiral staircase and out into the always shady lane that follows inside the
harbour wall to the Champs Elisee where, as often as not, I find the rest
of the club on their 3rd mint teas.

Buchera and Chris had teamed up now as, I guess, some kinda platonic
friendship.  Chris is a lovely guy, a fair guy, a Seeker who doesn’t quite
believe there’s something out there to Find :)  Caress as often as not
would have engaged someone else to our table and might be going off with
them, but James and I would have a chore to do (the internet, the hole in
the wall, or looking for Gulamine Beads in a new market) or jut wandering
around for a couple of hours before it’s time for, well, another sit-down
coffee, with a cake or 2 this time.

Then more wandering, exploring parts we hadn’t found yet, which only ran
out by the 9th or 10th day there.
up!

The Great Turning: From Empire To Community //FEEDBACK

mucho machy prophet.
it was a necessary kick in the bum.
thank you for the Desmond Tutu link as well.
keep bangin'.
Voy, Bubble Jam DeLite, London

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there anything of this in Spanish?  Fraser’s book? or "The Great
Turning" or other articles about the new paradigma???
 >> that’s plural of paradigm  paradigms.

I´m Culture Director in a small village in the south of Argentina (that
used to be known as a hippie village in the ´70s). When I read your mails I
feel it’s one of the few relations with reality I have!!!!!!!!!!!!  If
there is something in Spanish, please, let me know
Thanks for your work. ñTRRRTTTRRRBJIMBRRRRRRTQQTTRARIKOIBN::
Gabriela, Argentina.
 >> CAN ANYONE HELP?  TRANSLATE (SOME OF )THE UP! INTO SPANISH?  sounds
like gabriella would be happy to spread the info around south america which
can’t be bad.

Just to remind you that the amazon rainforest belongs to south american
countries, principally Brasil, and it will be us who decide what to do with
it, so please keep your neo-colonial, pseudo-ecological rants to
yourselves, cause they ruin an otherwise excellent web-magazine.
Instead of your crocodile tears
 >> crocodile tears, huh? and several other of Goddess’ beings will be
crying too, no?

  for what doesn't belong to you, why don't you re-forest all the european
forests that you have destroyed?
 >> total agreement there.  why don’t you help US do that?

in Latin-America we are very proud, since the times of Bolivar, San Martin
and Che-Guevara, of not letting neo-colonialists pass.
 >> and i’m from scotland, the FIRST invaded colony of the (British) Empire.

And we won't let you pass, even if this time you wolves come dressed as
ecological sheep.  We have a right to energy self-sufficiency, and the
pipeline is the best way to achieve it.
 >> but IS that true?  you got loadsa sunshine and bio diesel and so on, right?

Behind supposed support for your "ecological concern" is the fact that the
Empire wants to keep the gas and petrol flowing out of our continent
instead of flowing within it and fuelling our development.  No pasaran !

Cordially,
Juana Azurduy, Brasil.

Dear Juana, I don’t feel it´s a matter of flags but of whole understanding
for present and future, and I would suggest wise people should join and try
to see what’s the best to do.  But of course, Empire: no pasaran!
 >> scotland says the same!  and we’re fighting to SAVE the nature we have
left.

It’s good to spread info, facts, to let us keep in touch with what is
really happening on planet Earth.
We should start planning how the world should be (self)ruled: as an
organism, alive, in rather small communities, with low impact and
sustainability, stopping all that’s unnecessary, all that exists only for
ego-trips (as for example open air gold mines with cianuro threatening the
paradise where I live, orIraq war, or consumerism, etc.).  This is already
much.
Then, put all effort and resources to give answers to real problems of
humanity, behaviour problems, whatever.  Then dance!  Everybody become
artist, create the fractal shape of what it should be... maybe this comes
first or simultaneously, or as & when we can.  I think we do all have the
power to project this future in our minds.

Well "my thoughts" are too many.  I just wanna do it!
Gabriela, Argentina.

Dear F,
If the Americans could only stop eating en masse for long enough, it would
not only stop the Iraq war but put enough pressure on the junk food
industry that they might even lobby to get rid of the hardy perennial WEEDS
in power and LOSE WEIGHT!
xx Charlotte Appleton, Formosa..

Hi Fraser,
Thanks for the illuminating emails.

Just a small point concerning the repeated use of the word "America".

For the millions of people who have family, dealings and connections with
various parts of the continent called 'America', it has become tiring to
see the common reference to the USA as 'America' all the time.

My Mexican wife and her family and our friends are all 'Americans', because
they were born in the continent of 'America', and have some family which
have old roots there.  They are all 'Americans', just as the Canadians,
Venezuelans, Chileans, Brazilians, and the rest of those large and proud
nations with tribal peoples and ancient cultures, are all 'Americans'.

The word 'America' comes from 'Amaruka' or 'Amerikua', and has absolutely
nothing to do with Amerigo Vespucci (as US schools still teach).  These
words are ancient.  The Amaru people in the Andes are part of the
tradition, and there are others who know many of the old teachings and are
living those traditions and cultures now.  The words themselves hold keys
to other terms, like 'Kumara', 'Kurama', 'Kumaris'.

Some peoples of the 'Americas' have used the words 'Atlan' and 'Atlantiha'
for well over 2,000 years, pre-dating Plato.  It means the same as
'Atlantis'.  So did the Greeks and Mayans have telephones?
 >> your point being that Plato somehow picked it up from South Americans?

The ‘modern’ education system and consensus reality are constantly negating
the truth about the knowledge and capability of ancient peoples.  Not only
is it the robbing of words but also of essential teachings for all the people.

At least we who can understand these things can do something about it by
using the true titles like "United States of America", "USA",
"Masonic/Illuminati-land", "land where the native peoples have been
fighting terrorism for the last 400 years", or similar (be inventive!).

And the decent folk of the USA can join in and get inventive too!

Bye!
Psi, Mexico.
 >> i take this all on board and, indeed, have often felt uncomfortable
using the term America.  calling it Amerika is, hopefully, too short term
and pessimistic a choice.  calling it the USA is fairly easy and i hereby
resolve never to make this insulting mistake again, but how do you refer to
the inhabitants?  Amurricans?  Yankees praps?  what do u yankees prefer?
up!

caravanseraiclub safari/morocco 2006
essaouira after thoughts
Every time I visit Morocco I have the same geopolitical experience.  I’m
sitting under a palm tree in a country that’s conservatively tiptoeing into
the 20th century while the West is a Huge Social Experiment over there,
galloping out of control towards some future of which it has no idea
whatsoever, nor Wisdom to try and choose.  It’s an experiment with no
guarantees and virtually no way for anyone within it to affect its
‘advance’.  I include whatever conspiracy-elites that might be imagining
they can!

 From a mountain top in the Atlas, or a roof in the Haj’s palace, the
Western Charge looks precarious in the extreme, with at best a 50 50 chance
of ‘succeeding’  whatever that means anyway, for, without Wisdom, nobody
can ever agree.  And if it does self-destruct (or so I have always thought
though that may now have changed) Morocco will have been proved correct,
and will probably continue to slowly advance beyond its conservative
culture into the Future that’s waiting for those who can get there.

I don’t know enough about Mohamed to know if it’s his fault or the Arab’s
but new ideas and developments are not valued here.  It immediately
occurred to me, for example, that very few foreign visitors will hand over
£50 to buy a jelaba, that cloak and hood that offers such anonymity?.  How
would they know they’d like it? Could they ever wear it back home?  Well, I
realised, rent jelabas by the day!  Most westerners I have told the idea
would be keen to try a jelaba for a day, to wander around with the blessed
anonymity you can never find here, to fade into the background so you can
watch the whole scene without being noted or accosted.  The ladies on the
trip LOVED the idea, would even consider buying one and using it at home
for that wonderful privacy!  But tell it to a Moroccan?!  I don’t even
bother any more!  They follow into the trade or craft of their fathers and
are proud of that.  They worry about hygiene, renting is a new concept to
them and so on.

Unquestionably it vastly slows down their moving into the future.  But I’m
definitely not prepared to announce they are wrong.  Not yet.  Sometimes it
seems quite the opposite!  The Timeless Zippy Answer, the only thread we
can follow into the Awaiting State ahead, is, of course, Uniting the Wisdom
of the East with the Knowledge of the West.  It looks pretty clear from
Africa that, if the West is rampaging into Knowledge/ Technology/
Development and jettisoning and undervaluing Wisdom, then the only horse
with a chance of winning this race must be the East which is slowly,
carefully and almost reluctantly letting the (dangerous?) Knowledge land
among them.
up!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Prends Ton Temps, Camping Auberge, Zagora, Morocco.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY ZIPPIES!
www.campingauberge.skyblog.com
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Discovery Of Heaviest Element Known To Science
A major research institution has announced the discovery of the heaviest
element yet known to science - "governmentium."  It has 1 neutron, 12
assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons and 111 assistant deputy neutrons
for an atomic mass of 312.  These 312 particles are held together by forces
called morons that are further surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like
sub particles called peons.

Governmentium has no electrons and is therefore inert.   It can be detected
however since it impedes every reaction it comes into contact with.  A tiny
amount of governmentium can slow a reaction that normally occurs
in  seconds to where it takes days.

Governmentium has a normal half life of 3 years.  It doesn't decay but
"re-organises", a process where assistant deputy neutrons and deputy
neutrons change places.  This process actually causes it to grow as in the
confusion some morons become neutrons, thereby forming isodopes.  This
phenomenon of "moron promotion" has led to some speculation that
governmentium forms whenever sufficient morons meet in concentration
forming critical morass.

Researchers believe that in Governmentium, the  more you re-organise, the
morass you cover.
up!

'Thirst For Knowledge' May Be Opium Craving
 >> yeah, right.  or people take opium to stimulate and eventually as a
substitute for Truth Seeking.
Neuroscientists have proposed a simple explanation for the pleasure of
grasping a new concept: The brain is getting its fix.  The "click" of
comprehension triggers a biochemical cascade that rewards the brain with a
shot of natural opium-like substances, said Irving Biederman of the
University of Southern California.
Physorg.com http://www.physorg.com/news70030587.html
up!

Please re-subscribe me.
 >> gladly. were u on the road? couldn't stand the coloured text?imagined
anti semitism? :)

thank you so much for hooking me back up.  the coloured text IS kindawild,
but more people need to emulate it; recognising the criminality ofIsrael
isn't ant-semitism; and yeah, i kinda WAS on the road.
glad you're still putting it out.
John Opperman, Miami.
up! a l l g o o d t h i n g s c o m e t o a n e n d
which don't justify nuttin'
U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U UP P P P P P P P P P PP P P P P P P P P
P P P P P P
YOUR PLANET NEEDS //YOU!This HipList grows purely by recommendation.
SO RECOMMEND SOMEONE 2DAY!!!!!!!!!!
TO DEBATE ANYTHING in the UP!, visit the GroupMind Debating Board on
WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM
YES, YES, SEND US EDUTAINING NEWSN VIEWS no need to ask! :-)
FOR MORE FRASER ON RAVE CULTURE & THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, VISIT
WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM/fraser
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX
U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U UP P P P P P P P P P PP P P P P P P P
P P P P P P

BE ADVISED: The National Security Agency may have read this email without
warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly without probable cause or much
or any judicial or legislative oversight.  This is to inform you that you
have no recourse or protection save to help in every way possible to bring
about the impeachment of President G. Bush.