[pagan-magik] up! 0030// SCIENCE (finally) LOCATES GODDESS//march 22, 2006

fraser fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
Wed Mar 22 21:46:15 GMT 2006

TURN ON COMPUTER // TUNE IN TO FREED SPIRIT OF INTERNET // TAKE OVER!

  “I too have read all your commentaries. Twisted wry grin most of the way
thru.
Frase, you are a revolutionary, no?”  Guy, Cambodia.
UP!

         \)))))/         (keep this handy in case u suddenly get that
feeling: i gotta get outa here!)
_,,,,_{ô¿ô}_,,,,_____the caravanserai* club
* a hostelry with spacious courtyards where camel caravans put up
April 25  May 25ish - Sahara Desert + Atlas Mountains, Morocco.
UPDATE:  GOING JUST ON WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD, SEVEN PEOPLE HAVE NOW BOUGHT
THEIR TICKETS, 4 OF THEM ON THE SAME FLIGHT AS US TO MARRAKECH.   SEVERAL
OTHERS ARE HOVERING OR SCRAPING.  PRICES FROM ATLAS BLUE NOW AROUND £80
SINGLE, (taxes included), London  Marrakech. NONE OF US HAVE BOUGHT RETURNS
SINCE EASYJET FLIES DAILY FROM MALAGA IN SPAIN FOR AROUND £20 SINGLE.
ITINERARY 3 nights in Marrakech, then bus to Zagora where the berber camp
in the Sahara is booked for "7 & upwards" people from april 28ish. Prices
are £25 per week, including everything, spaciously romantic berber tents,
all food, and occasional camel rides.
May 5-ish - back to Marrakech overnight, and then on by bus to laid-back,
old hippy hangout, ancient medina city Essaouira to hang out on the beach
for a week until May 14ish, and then via Casablanca, Rabat, Meknes, on to
beautiful Chefchouan up in the Rif Mountains for a week.  Easy bus ride
from there to Ceuta and the ferry to Spain.  Small hotel rooms look to be
£5 a night.
RUMOURED: We might have a royal connection down there!! More next week if
it pans out :)

RULES OF THE CLUB  There are no rules in that each person is only and
wholly responsible for hirself.

when i stopped putting on public edutainments, i started taking little
trips abroad for my health, sanity, and natural curiosity. at first i went
alone, tho i tried to persuade a cuppla frens, but you know how frens can b!
then, 2 years ago, a buddy came with me to spain. in malta that spring 3
people were with me. in August in croatia there were 5! and in Greece last
Spring there were 7 of us! and of course people join us along the way.
with morocco this spring, because its so near and familiar, it looks like
there could be 10-20 people coming along! imagine!

its a new kinda clubbing, travel clubbing, which i've called the
Caravanserai Club.  it goes away once or twice a year, during off-peak. i
announce a great city in a foreign country that's not too expensive to get
to, and anybody who wants comes along - independently!
more details over next few weeks
YOU DO NOT NEED TO INFORM ANYONE THAT U R COMING & CAN JOIN THE
CARAVANSERAI WHEREVER/ WHENEVER, BUT, IF U LIKE, CONTACT ME AT:
fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
UP!

(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
u cant understand the world without innerstanding yourself
the up! 0030 // 22, 03, 06
la- la- la- lap-toppling da system!
Science (finally) Locates Goddess
u cant innerstand yourself without understanding the world
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

.. contents...
p.02  Science (finally) Locates Goddess Behind The Cosmic Landscape!
p.07  Remove my email from your paranoid fantasy world!!!
p.08  Techno Millennium - The Book Of RavElations: Zippy Eschaton - Chapter
11, of 'Rave Culture And Religion', edited by Graham St. John (Routledge 2004)
p.12  ‘Israel’ Wiped Off The Map?// FEEDBACK
p.13  ZIPPIES// Flying Saucer’s Apprentice// FEEDBACK
UP!

Reading Megatripolis at Forever
by Michael Bowen
[famed Beat painter, co-creator of the Human Be-In, and of the San
Francisco Oracle)

Megatripolis accurately reflects the new generation of hungry learners'
determination to live without being told what to think.

I read Megatripolis from front to back twice. Then I realized I could be
connected with my inner self quickly if I also used Megatripolis as a kind
of oracle. Once I entered the book as I chose I connected to the writer's
real reason for writing this book of experience. That reason is freedom.

A freedom of the mind that allows through its characters, plots, subplots,
futures and multiple pasts to expand the mind until a creative level is
reached as a reader.

When I was a little boy in Beverly Hills, I would lie in a warm bath and
read all the national geographic magazines I could safely keep dry. I read
them opened anywhere. One after the other. I soon discovered I had
stimulated myself for more knowledge. I did not need a geography teacher,
or an anthropology teacher, I needed a ticket to go to where I had
discovered existed. Megatripolis reinvigorated my sense of exploration.
This time both inner and outer exploration. Here in Megatripolis the
characters are easily identified with the self.

My self. The plots with levels of my own life.

I hope Megatripolis will one-day become a recorded book. Then I can play it
anywhere. Just as I can enter it anywhere now.

I think Megatripolis is the Shakespeare for the modern mind.
Michael Bowen, artist.  Sweden.
UP!
GET megatripolis at forever HERE...
http://www.oneworldnet.co.uk/ebooks/index3.php
UP!

Libby Defence May Highlight Infighting
Lawyers for Vice President Dick Cheney's former top aide are suggesting
they may delve deeply at his criminal trial into infighting among the White
House, the CIA and the State Department over pre-Iraq war intelligence
failures.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/031806B.shtml
UP!

“Great energy in your newsletter!” Gerry Abrahams, San Francisco.

Menstruating Virgin Mary Cartoon
Stirs Debate Over Freedom to Offend
by Patrick Goodenough
While the Mohammed cartoon controversy simmers around the world, a tv
channel in New Zealand was under fire for a decision to show an episode of
the South Park comedy series featuring a menstruating statue of the Virgin
Mary.

So where does that leave us?  The Muslims are enraged because Mohamed is
pictured with a bomb on his head.  The Christians are furious because Mary
is shown menstruating.  And the Jews are enraged because we refuse to
forget about the Pals.

I’ll swap you 2 menstruating Moses for a stigmata-ed Jesus hand and a bomb
in a koran ok?
http://www.CNSNEWS.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=\ForeignBureaus\archive\200602\FOR20060222b
UP!

Science (finally) Locates Goddess
Behind The Cosmic Landscape!
“Here was a number which, had it been slightly larger than its minuscule
value, would have precluded structure formation (and hence life) in the
universe.”

Leonard Susskind’s new book ’The Cosmic Landscape, String Theory and the
Illusion of Intelligent Design” discusses the apparent fine-tuning of the
physical constants of our universe, the cosmological constant in
particular, without which life as we know it (and, in many cases, not just
life but even atoms, stars, and galaxies) could not exist.

Susskind is eloquent in describing why the discovery that the cosmological
constant is apparently a small tiny positive number, seemingly fine-tuned
to 120 decimal places, “hit us like the proverbial ton of bricks” (p.
185).  Almost every theoretical physicist would have bet it had to be
precisely zero.  But here was a number which, had it been slightly larger
than its minuscule value, would have precluded structure formation (and
hence life) in the Universe!

You can imagine some as-yet-undiscovered mathematical explanation why a
value is precisely zero, but when you come across a dial set with the
almost ridiculous precision of 120 decimal places and it's an Absolute
Requirement for your own Existence, thoughts of a benevolent Creator tend
to creep into the mind of even the most doctrinaire scientific
secularist.  This is how the appearance of “intelligent design” (as the
author defines it) threatens to get into the act, and the book is an
exposition of the argument which string theorists and cosmologists have
developed to contend that such apparent design is entirely an illusion.
 >> i find it amazing the lengths ‘scientists’ will go to DISPROVE
Goddess.  i mean, they used to maintain that u and me and everything came
together accidentally through a series of evolutions but, as they
discovered just how complex Life really is (not like a behaviourist machine
at all) they moved the playing field to a universe of innumerable
possibilities  having for decades denied the possibility that Life could
been triggered from off-planet.

Intelligently Designed Accident?
The very title of the book, then, invites us to contrast 2 theories of the
Origin of the Universe: “Intelligent Design” and the “String Landscape”.

So, let's accept that challenge and plunge right in, shall we?  First of
all, permit me to observe that despite frequent claims to the contrary,
intelligent design need not presuppose a supernatural being operating
outside the laws of science and/or inaccessible to scientific
investigation.  The origin of life on Earth due to deliberate seeding with
engineered organisms by intelligent extraterrestrials, for example, has no
supernatural component, and science may discover the evidence in the future.

If you observe a watch, you're entitled to infer the existence of a
Watchmaker, but there's no reason to believe he's a magician, just a
craftsman.
 >> however it simply moves the Question to a bigger playing field again.

PROOF ‘SCIENTISTS’ WILL POSIT ANY THEORY
TO DENY GODDESS’ EXISTENCE!
Earth Rocks Could Have Taken Life To Titan!
Boulders blasted from the Earth's surface after a major impact
could have travelled all the way to the outer solar system,
new calculations reveal. The work suggests that terrestrial microbes
on the rocks could in theory have landed on Saturn's giant moon, Titan.
[NewScientist.com news]
 >> yeah, right.

Intelligent Design V String Landscape
1: Intelligent Design.   An intelligent being created the universe and
chose the initial conditions and physical laws so as to permit the
existence of beings like ourselves.

2: String Landscape.   The laws of physics and initial conditions of the
universe are chosen at random from among 10,500 possibilities, only a
vanishingly small fraction of which can support life.  The universe we
observe, which is infinite in extent and may contain regions where the laws
of physics differ, is one of an infinite number of causally disconnected
“pocket universes“ which spontaneously form from quantum fluctuations in
the vacuum of parent universes, a process which has been occurring for an
infinite time in the past and will continue in the future, time without end.

Each of these pocket universes which, together, make up the “Megaverse”,
has its own randomly selected laws of physics, and hence the overwhelming
majority are sterile.  We happen to find ourselves in one of the tiny
minority of hospitable universes because, if we weren't, we wouldn't exist
to make the observation.

Since there are an infinite number of universes, however, every possibility
not only occurs, but occurs an infinite number of times, so not only are
there an infinite number of inhabited universes, there are an infinite
number identical to ours.  Not only does the Megaverse spawn an infinity of
universes, each universe itself splits into two copies every time a quantum
measurement occurs.  Our own universe will eventually spawn a bubble which
will destroy all life within it.  Evidence for all of the other universes
is hidden behind a cosmic horizon.

Now, here’s the interesting point.  While one can imagine scientific
investigation discovering evidence for Intelligent Design, almost all of
the mechanisms which underlie String Landscape must remain forever hidden
from science (barring some conceptual breakthrough equivalent to looking
inside a black hole) by an impenetrable horizon through which no causal
influence can propagate.  So severe is this problem that chapter 9 of the
book is devoted to the question of how far theoretical physics can go in
the total absence of experimental evidence.  To one accustomed to the
crystalline inevitability of Newtonian gravitation, general relativity, or
the laws of thermodynamics, this seems by comparison like a California
blonde saying “whatever” - the cosmology of despair.
 >> or the Atheist’s Final Cop-Out?

Scientists will, of course, immediately rush to attack Intelligent Design,
 >> yes, but why?  why all this energy to deny what’s increasingly staring
us in the face?  what’s the MOTIVE?!  people, after all, LOVE playing
against the computer, it seems to be in our Nature.

arguing that the being such a theory posits would necessarily be
“indistinguishable from magic”, capable of explaining anything, and hence
unfalsifiable and beyond the purview of science.
 >> the Watchmaker isn’t applying magic!

But let’s look more deeply at the attributes of what might be called the
First Cause of String Landscape.  It permeates all of our universe, it
potentially spawns a bubble which may destroy it and replace it with
something different, it pervades the abstract landscape of all possible
universes, it populates them with an infinity of independent and diverse
universes over an eternity of time: omnipresent in spacetime.  When a
universe is created, all the parameters which ultimately govern its
ultimate evolution are fixed at the moment of creation.  As a budded off
universe evolves, whether a sterile formless void or teeming with
intelligent life, no information is ever lost in its quantum evolution, not
even down a black hole or across a cosmic horizon, and every quantum event
splits the universe and preserves all possible outcomes.  The ensemble of
universes is thus omniscient of all its contents.  But look, throw in
intelligent and benevolent, and what do you have?  The typical deity!  And
since you can't observe the parallel universes where the action takes
place, you pretty much have to take it on faith.  Where have we heard that
before?

Creation Without The Creator
Many extrapolations of continued exponential growth in computing power
envision a Technological Singularity in which super-intelligent computers,
designing their own successors, rapidly approach the ultimate physical
limits on computation.  Such computers would be sufficiently powerful to
run highly faithful simulations of complex worlds, including intelligent
beings living within them who might be unaware they were inhabiting a
simulation, who eventually passed through their own Technological
Singularity, created their own simulated universes, populated them with
intelligent beings who, in turn,
world without end.
 >> like i’ve been saying, since we humans are on the cusp of creating
universes in which complex creatures could spend generations, why do we not
take that as the basic ASSUMPTION of how we ourselves came into being?

If an intelligent civilisation develops to the point where it can build
these simulated universes, will it do so?  Of course it will - just look at
the fascination crude video game simulations have for people today.  Now
imagine a simulation as rich as reality and unpredictable as tomorrow,
actually creating an inhabited universe - who could resist?!

As unlimited computing power becomes commonplace, kids will create
innovative universes and evolve them for billions of simulated years for
science projects.  Call the mean number of simulated universes the
branching factor.  If it’s greater than one, and there’s a single top-level
non-simulated universe, then it will be outnumbered by simulated universes
which grow exponentially in numbers with the depth of the
simulation.  Hence, the odds are that we find ourselves in a simulated
universe, which would be an exceptional place in the ensemble of real and
simulated universes.  Now here's the point: if, as we should expect from
this argument, we do live in a simulated universe, then our universe is the
product of intelligent design, and Intelligent Design is an absolutely
correct description of its origin.

So we're inside a simulation designed by a freckle-faced superkid for extra
credit in her science class.  Is this something we could discover, or must
it, like so many aspects of Intelligent Design, be forever hidden from our
scientific investigation?

Well, surprisingly, this variety of Intelligent Design is quite amenable to
experiment: neither revelation nor faith is required.

5 Observations We Would Expect
If We Inhabited A Simulation?
1.  There would probably be a discrete time step and granularity in
position fixed by the time and position resolution of the simulation. (YES!
and YES!)

2.  There would probably be an absolute speed limit to constrain the extent
we could directly explore and to impose a locality constraint on
propagating updates throughout the simulation.  (YES!  Speed of light)

3.  There would be a limit on the extent of the universe we could
observe.  (YES!  The Hubble radius is an absolute horizon we cannot
penetrate, and the last scattering surface of the cosmic background
radiation limits electromagnetic observation to a still smaller radius.

4.  There would be a limit on the accuracy of physical measurements due to
the finite precision of the computation in the
simulation.  (YES!  Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.)

5. As in games, randomness would be used as a fudge when precision limits
were hit.  (YES!  Quantum mechanics)

Might we expect surprises as we subject our simulated universe to ever more
precise scrutiny, perhaps even astonishing the being which programmed it
with our cunning and deviousness (as the author of any software package has
experienced at the hands of real-world users)?

Who knows, we might run into round-off errors which “hit us like a ton of
bricks”!  Suppose there were some quantity, say, that was supposed to be
exactly zero but, if you went and actually measured the geometry way out
there near the edge and crunched the numbers, you found out it differed
from zero in the 120th decimal place.
http://www.fourmilab.ch/fourmilog/archives/2006-03/000664.html
 >> perhaps the aim of any living species is to evolve to the point where
everyone realises, accepts and celebrates the Intelligence behind their
world, and at that point the culture moves to the next
level.  megatripolis at forever says that year will be/is/was 2055 when
humanity goes beyond time itself.  but the gods make a public appearance
somewhat sooner :)
up!

Cosmic 'DNA':
Double Helix Spotted in Space
Magnetic forces at the centre of the galaxy have twisted a nebula into the
shape of DNA, the first time it has been observed in the cosmos.
 >> no doubt caused by bacteria blasted off our liddle rock or summat :)
the ‘scientists’ are working onnit believe me.

The DNA nebula is about 80 light-years long and about 300 light-years from
the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way.
 >> at the centre of the latest scientific theory more like :)
[Space.com, MAR 15, 2006]
UP!

Dangerous Knowledge
Can dangerous knowledge - such as the publication of the full genome of the
1918 influenza virus on the Internet - ever be contained?  Once opened,
might Pandora's Box be shut again?  Those questions lie at the heart of an
ongoing debate over the necessity and application of precaution in the
deployment of new technologies.
[Responsible Nanotechnology March 13, 2006]
UP!

Remove my email from yourparanoidfantasy world
 >> u mean the one you THINK u r living in is NOT paranoid?  'bye.

"bye"? What are you like, 12?
 >> 63samatterofact, u arrogant young post modern :)

That claptrap about global conspiracies and Bush being evilcrap is
completely childishrubbish. Pretty much the world ishow you see it on the
surface.  Some people are good, some bad... and all are human.Political
fantasy abouta current unseen "holocaust",such as your site describes, is
the refuge of the depressingly brainwashed counter culture.
 >> the counter-culture is brainwashed now i've heard everything!! asserted
by a clone who works in an ant hive (because he never looked at any
available alternative but just followed what was laid out for him (by whom
u might well ask)) and so busy he has no time to look a bit deeper at the
world around him, nor probably in your case at the end result of the huge
organisation you are squandering your precious and once-only life in. at
least admit there could be several big conspiracies that YOU, down in the
sales department in the basement, would never even know about! and do tell
us when you marry the girl at the next desk because, let's face it, how
could you ever meet anyone else except on saturday when you're drunk off
your tits? recognise your world? :D

Go get a job and tax your taxes like an adult.
Doug Broccone, in a skyscraper somewhere.
 >> i have a job, several in fact, but all because i LOVE and NEED to do
them, not because i get paid money for it like you.  wouldn’t you like to
do something you LOVED?!  (now tell me you actually LOVE helping your
corporation sell more canned beans).
UP!

(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
TEXT JOCKEY // TJ PHRASER (Fraser Clark) & THE MEDIA EVOLUTION
MIXING THE TRACTS LIVE ON THE KEYBOARD
@ A MEDIA-MEME RATE OF 160 IPP *   * Ideas Per Paragraph
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

Techno Millennium
Chapter 11, of 'Rave Culture And Religion', edited by Graham St. John
(Routledge 2004, ISBN-0415-31449-6)

The Book Of RavElations: Zippy Eschaton
Speaking at the launch of the Zippy Pronoia Tour To US, held at the
Wetlands nightclub in Manhattan on 15th June 1994, Terence McKenna
announced that every 50 years or so society needs liberation from the
forces of fascism, and that, 50 years since the end of World War 2, a
vanguard of liberators had secured a beach-head on the east coast of
America, and begun to work its way inland along the Hudson.

For a man who once wrote how he anticipated the great Gaian DJ Strange
Attractor mixing the endgame of the 2nd with the opening chords of the 3rd
millennium, zippy imagineer Fraser Clark’s association with McKenna’s
cosmogenic scheme had been well established.  In the years approaching Z
Day, Clark, the editor of evolution^ magazine {originally Encyclopaedia
Psychedelica International [EPi]), and founder of London clubs Megatripolis
and the Parallel YOUniversity } had been an influential articulator of the
technology /ecology/ spirituality tryst, coining the word Zippy (zen
inspired pagan professional) to describe those who disowned hippylike
pastoralism and embraced the psyberdelic evolutionary possibilities in
technology
 >> really this should be “combined”, combined hippylike pastoralism with
the psyberdelic evolutionary possibilities in technology,

and compiling Shamanarchy In The UK, an album championing England’s
revitalisation through a fusion of the house generation and the green movement.

Like McKenna, Clark evangelised Rave as the newest and most significant
vehicle through the end times.  Like the old pagan festivals, Clark
announced in a speech delivered at Stanford University on 2nd May 1995

we’re all in this together.  This is our planet.  She is indescribably
beautiful, gigantic.  We are atoms of the living goddess.  Personally i
can’t see a better way to help people to learn a love, respect and
reverence for nature than the classical open-air all night rave.  Can you
imagine what it felt like with 20,000 people going for it and actually
feeling together, and the power of the people together and then dancing the
sun up?  It is awesome, it is religious, and it is life changing.

In a communiqué on California’s WELL (Whole Earth Lectronic Link}
conferencing system in May 1994, Clark proposed that “any relatively
conscious planeter has at least begun to suspect that the competition-based
system within which human culture is currently operating is incapable of
adapting, and needs to be recoded”.  And, since “the sign for which we all
yearn is that WE, the relatively conscious, are a hell of a lot more
numerous than even WE supposed” there was reason for optimism.  Thus:
”The news is good, very very good.  I see only one sociological phenomenon
within western culture which has any chance of bringing about the required
maximum change in the maximum number of people in the minimum period of
time.  UK Rave Culture has been evolving for 5 years now, and, at its most
accelerated, the tribal rave scene has united the raw young idealism and
enthusiasm of Rave with the eco-wisdom of Festival Culture to produce a
mixture of meltdown proportions.”

Clarks messiology was born.  Rave Culture was the end of the world as we
know it, and the cross-hemispheric Zippies, harmonising rationality and
mysticism, fusing practicality with idealism, and technology with ekstasis,
were the inter subcultural inter-continental vanguard of the endtimes.

Emerging from the 1960s counter culture, deeply influenced by Gurdjieff,
and witnessing the possibility of new technology, Clark considered the
System to be collapsing under the weight of its own contradictions, and
anticipated Rave as the next and last breakthrough device.  In l987 the EPi
predicted that a co-operative cultural virus reproducing within the new
dance culture would infect the whole planetary culture.
 >> and it has.  but nobody told the bush gang.

The coming Renaissance of ‘60s idealism and end-of-the-millennium
techno-shamans  was prophesied in Clark’s The Book of RavElations to be
Humanity’s last chance.  Rave was to be the final carrier of the inclusive
co-operative meme constituting the critical mass necessary to get everybody
“out of their heads and into their bodies and hearts.”

For the man who came to share the mantle with McKenna as the Timothy Leary
of the ‘90s, possessing distinct millenarian possibilities, the acid house
phenomenon was more than a mere simulacrum of the 1960s.  Indeed, in a
later prediction, a Global Summer Of Love was expected to blossom in 1997
when the raver children would continue the beautiful revolution - the task
of changing the world unfinished by their hippy forebears 30 years before.

To this end, Clark had founded the London dance club Megatripolis.  The
meaning of the name can be inferred from Clark’s postings on the WELL, in
February 1995.  Megatripolis was an evolved biographical concept raised
from Clark’s unfinishable, unpublished science fiction novel
Megatripolis at Forever.  After centuries leading right  across the
short-hairs on the very cusp of System Disaster he wrote, Womankind finally
made the necessary evolutionary leap to collective consciousness long
foretold, escaped the illusion of Time itself, and squatted permanently in
the future perfect state which they named Megatripolis.

But only a few escaped the illusion, evolving beyond time, and capable of
balling: wandering through the past, obsessed with researching The Only
Question Worth Asking: why had things remained wrong for so long amongst
their ancestors when this GroupMind state was so clearly available?

We also learn that the utopian dreams and visions universal to human
societies are actually future memories of the Megatripolitan Utopia, of how
things already are beyond this absurdly thin veil of time.  Thus, as was
announced in his speech on 4th November 1993 at Megatripolis, zippies were
starting to pick up the pieces of the future:  by re-membering it (we’ve
lived there so long in the future), and since the citizens of the future
perfect state keep dropping hints in our time as they travel through.

In Clark’s techno-organic science-futurism, Megatripolis (which in 1995
opened for a while in San Francisco as Megatripolis West) was a
this-worldly accelerated learning module for the long awaited mass mutation
to the future perfect state.  The ethno trance club offered ambient lecture
style edutainment in the early evening, with Parallel YOUniversity talks
delivered by the likes of McKenna, Ram Dass, Alexander Shulgin, Rev. Ian
Stang (Church Of The Sub Genius), Rupert Sheldrake, Francis Huxley and
Robert Anton Wilson.

Musicians and DJs present included Dee-lite, Irresistible Force (Mix Master
Morris), Mark Sinclair (Pendragon), Youth and Chris Decker.

Inside, Clark claimed, you would meet time-travelling Megatripolitans
amongst the residents and patrons.  Were these zippy residents the
immediate predecessors of Megatripolitans themselves?  Perhaps, though in
Clarks Gurdjieffian logic, as humans are all potential zippies, we are all
Megatripolitans, we just aren’t conscious of it yet.
 >> like we are all unrealised buddhas.

‘At my highest I sometimes seemed to glimpse, we are all Megatripolitans in
some sense already.  Whether we realise it or not.  Take another
look.  Doesn’t this unfinished state feel more like the dream, the teaser.
the trailer, the pale shadow of what we’re meant to be?’

Following this narrative, at Megatripolis patrons could get closer to their
destiny, perhaps even merging with the landscape of their becoming, if only
for the night.  The role of future memories, remembrance of the future
perfect state, are as crucial to Clark’s vision as they are to McKenna’s
theory.  Timewave zero is the future perfect state is the archaic
revival.  Preparation appears to be the key, and in terms of the novelty
wave chart, with Megatripolis as the beach-head of a benign mutation in the
present, the tide was apparently in.

In a proclamation dated January, 1995, during the Zippy Tour: ‘The final
battle for the human soul will be decided here in America.  And you, dear
raver, or raver to be, are destined to be on the front line, and already
are, whether you yet realise it or not’.

The greatest or at least most hyped campaign of the rave-o-lutionary
millennium was the 1994-95 Zippy Pronoia To US.  The tour’s objective was
to bootstrap the hedonic bliss and communal vibe of the rave party into a
mass movement of planetary awakening. (Ferguson in High Times,
1995).  Accordingly Rainbow hippies coupling with tecno freaks were
destined to produce Rainbow Ravers.

While Clark and many of his eventually estranged team of zippies operated
underground events in New York City, Boulder and San Francisco and at the
Rainbow Gathering in Wyoming, his mega rave envisioned to hold 60,000
people in the Grand Canyon in August turned out to be a much reduced event
held in Arizona’s Kaibab National Forest as part of the World Unity
Festival.  Anticipated as a cultural and spiritual tsunami poised to sweep
across America (Huffstuffer 94), hosting 55,000 short of the initial
forecast the zippy Woodstock failed to materialise.

Yet zippy was more zeitgeist than movement, the term being adopted by
various individuals and groups whose network activities evinced a turn of
the 1990s optimism that had been fermenting within experimental formations
inheriting the cultural and spiritual resources of previous counter
cultures (especially Hippies) and holding fast against government and
corporate encroachment.

activists and esotericists produced their own music, built websites,
published zines and held free parties.  And this network of new digital
chemical and cyber- enabled artists and anarchists was held together by a
hopeful view that decentralised and pirated technology can be adopted in
the quest for spiritual advancement, self development and wider cultural
change: what we have here is a major player in the premillennial cultural
meme-pool, a loose knit movement of folks who aim to change the
world  while having the best time of their lives.  (Marshall 94).

While Clark believed that the zippy phenomenon would stimulate the
quickening of the new new age, promoting the rave millennium, he was often
perceived as little more than a media-wise hustler of youth culture, little
removed from other marketeers selling the millennium.  As had been noted by
Sarah Ferguson, the zippy pitch, combining the entrepreneurial zeal of the
yuppy with the spiritual indulgence of the hippy, sounded dangerously close
to a Fruitopia commercial.

Since the approach seemed long on enthusiasm and short on efficacy - Clark
was never one to spoil the grand vision with fine detail - he was rebuked
and dismissed by cultural radicals and anarchists.

Yet, for one thing, the zippy programme deviated from the tech-dependent
libertarianism harboured by Extropians.  As cyber punk critic Vivien
Sobchak commented, a zippy feels the terror and promise of the planet’s
situation and is prepared to use anything short of violence - magic,
technology, entrepreneurial skill -  to create a new age in as short a time
as possible (Sobchak, in Marshall 94).

Moreover the intentional consciousness-raising party is a lasting zippy
legacy.
UP!

Nearly Half Of Americans Say Regulate Pot Like Alcohol
Majorities On Both Coasts Back Legalisation
Nearly Half Of Americans support amending federal law "to let states
legally regulate and tax marijuana the way they do liquor and gambling,"
according to a national poll by Zogby International, commissioned by the
NORML Foundation.

49% opposed taxing and regulating cannabis, and 46% supported it -
including 53% and 55% on the east and west coasts.

"Public support for replacing the illicit marijuana market with a legally
regulated, controlled market similar to alcohol - complete with age
restrictions and quality controls - continues to grow," NORML Executive
Director Allen St. Pierre.

The break-down by age is also illuminating.  65% of the Rave generation
(18-29) were for regulating, and 65% of the Hippy generation too (50-64).
It’s that damn Punk/Generation X lot (30-49 year-olds) (58%) and the
Alzheimer Alliance (65+) (52%) who tip the balance against!

The break-down by politics was 59% of Democrats and 33% of Republicans back
tax/regulating.  44% of Independents and 85% of Libertarians support the
change.

The break-down by religious affiliation is tantalising and indicative: 70%
Jewish support, 60% of the non-religious, 48% of Catholics and 38% of
Protestants.  Beware Generation X Protestants!

A previous Zogby poll found that 61% of Americans opposed arresting and
jailing non-violent marijuana consumers.
[For more info, contact Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director, or Paul
Armentano, NORML Senior Policy Analyst, at (202) 483-5500]
up!

Support For Bush's Handling Of War Plunges
More than two thirds of Americans think Bush is mishandling events in Iraq
and almost a third believe civil war in the country is imminent, according
to a Harris poll.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/031806C.shtml
UP!

“The UP! Is still essential reading for me. We might be facing the end of
this world,
but we’ve already got one foot in the next one, thanks in no small part to
yourself.”
Mark Carroll, Brighton.
UP!

The US Administration Couldn't Have Done A Better Job
Of Turning Iraq Into America’s Most Expensive And Dangerous Enemy If It Had
Genuinely Had That As Its Goal. . . .
Amount appropriated by the US Congress for Iraq operations so far:  $218
billion
Number of global terrorist attacks reported by the State Dept in 2004: 651
Rank of Iraq among all nations as a training ground for terrorists:  FIRST
Chances of a WMD attack in the next 10 years, according to leading arms
experts:  70%

Estimated # of insurgents in Iraq (Nov. 2003);  5,000
Estimated # of insurgents in Iraq (Oct. 2005):  20,000

Number of US service members killed in Iraq:  2144+
Number killed since Bush announced the end of major combat:  2005+

WMDs found in Iraq:  0
UP!

Chomsky is right
Chomsky is right that sheer people power in China, India, South America etc
should be enough to throw off destructive Anglo-Saxon domination which has
mostly been a disaster for the world.  It includes the exploitation of the
weak and defenceless, the terrible racism and ethnic cleansing of empire,
and the appropriation of natural assets all over the world.  There are
risks, but the end of this domination is very welcome.  Perhaps the world
can have a United Nations which is not controlled by bullying, blackmail
and bribery.
Tanya Heather, Brighton, East Sussex.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,1732746,00.html
UP!

ZIPPIES// Flying Saucers Apprentice// FEEDBACK
I do NOT wear hats! And made NO changes in my get-up for the Zippies.
 >> i gotta say this is true, and he continued all through the zippy season
to regularly attend dinosaur punk rock bands like they weren’t going out of
history let alone fashion :)
 >>> That's strange Peter, I've got a photo of you wearing a hat, the same
hat and spectacles as the Wired Cover, and very much in the centre of
everything with Fraser standing by your side, along with Dan Mapes, myself
and Rehane X!
must see! must see! a copy please! we'll put it on the site. we had dan on
here just a few weeks ago!

Remember, if you can, I came to the Zippies via Mark Heley's CLUBLIFE mag
as photojournalist covering the Mega Rave/Unity/Rainbow gathering down near
the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

 >>> Yes, I understand how that would happen.  I'm from the Domain of the
Cuddly Deity at Heaven and, while I experienced the Zippy orgasm, I missed
the paradigm jump at the Grand Canyon.
 >> that’s when the hat appeared mysteriously in a fotograf on the head of
a hatless i gettit now!

It was after that, I was host to Fraser, and Aid to the Megatripolis Club
San Francisco events.  Lots of work and 2,800 ravers on opening night. High
Times too. Not bad.

 >>> Great, I was there too.

As for being a perpetual 4 year old, I may have tried to come down to your
level, but also, I do recall, you smoked a Great Deal of -you know- as well.

What is it that makes you so disgruntled, David?
Peter Booth Lee, San Francisco.

 >>> Peter, perhaps its the fact that people weren't entirely honest with
me about the split, and I had to put up with a lot of shit, including loss
of privacy, cia mind control and with only smoke to live on.  I know Fraser
said that one day we will all sip magical smoke out of a mystical glass and
look back at history, from Megatripolis, but I don't think he excluded
eating food.
 >> david, maybe it was all that youknow- but you’re actually quoting from
megatripolis at forever, which i was working on through the tour, viz:
They 'visit' each other a lot - they're very sociable, always going on
about some underlying principle they call GroupMind.  They sip a sort of
sweet 'smoke' from things that look like 'cups' (they call it ‘memories’,
or just ‘memes’).  And, on their ‘coffee table’ (which often looks like
one) sits a large sort of pulsating crystal ball thingy which is, in fact,
the entire History of the Human Race.  Since they spend all their ‘time’ in
it, it’s collected several names, the “Crystal”, the ‘End’, but officially
they call it the ‘Ball.’
Let’s say a Megatripper wants to argue an important point, demonstrate a
theory of learning, or experiment with evolution in a tiny, approved way,
or just when they want to 'dance', to communicate and ‘enjoy themselves,'
they dive into this ball thingy, alone or in couples or groups, and play
any of the roles available in the history of their species.  “Doing the
Ball”, they call it, or just
 “Balling.”
we did a LOT of balling!

 >>> The over-riding memory of the SF experience, is one of famine, and I'm
sure Fraser can vouch for that.
 >> naw naw some people think we ripped off america for millions never deny
a healthy rumour :)
 >>> He certainly lost weight and tried to put on a good but ultimately
futile show of solidarity with his "hippy brethren," but isn't this why the
world moved forward, while the hippies faded out?
DRL, Cape Town.
 >> no, it’s because the Hippies and the Ravers didn’t unite quickly
enough  for all their own personal reasons.  now, with the Common Enemy of
Bush, they have and it’s all obvious.  but if only

UP
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o
  the UP! is a global edutainment round-up, broadcast weekly to =[14,019]=
Alternative// Activist// Zippy// Trance// New Age// Peace folks
recommended to the Parallel YOUniversity// Megatripolis Dance Dept as
  "showing signs of life".  Since recipients forward it widely to their own
lists & sites,
we conservatively estimate 50,000+ direct recipients.
A further 40,000 read it on the YOUniversity's site.
And, because of its 'mix' of 'specialist' & 'general' content,
    it's increasingly being posted on a variety of sites worldwide,
making an estimated total weekly readership of =[275,000]=
(\o/)(\o/)\(o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o

‘Israel’ Wiped Off The Map’s Face?// FEEDBACK

 >> I agree wholeheartedly that Israel should be “wiped off the map”.  Know
why?  Because it means that a state based on racist/religious grounds,
‘Israel’, should not be allowed.  Nobody is calling for thousands of dead
Israelis, they want the state called “Israel” turned into a religiously
tolerant state like all others on the planet, and it’s what the
Palestinians have always been demanding.  And everyone knows this but goes
on like pres afterdinnershag was threatening anyone.  DID YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?!

Fraser, I disagree that all other states on this planet are religiously
tolerant.  Is that what you meant?
Sean, Devon, UK.
 >> not in the least. my goddess, some of those arab countries!
no, israel is the only country in the world where the religion is written
into the constitution and does not tolerate anyone else at certain levels.
u can go the next step if u want and ask if a state that defines itself by
religion in its very laws can EVER be tolerant in the more cultural sense.
up

whereas i detest the zionist ie, religious jews who r just a giant pain in
the arse, i can never condone or allow the state of israel being wiped off
the map.  i personally will fight (false) tooth and (real) nail to prevent
any such thing from occurring in my lifetime.  i was at one time aligned
with the hippie hassidic group guided by rabbi schlomo carlebach in israel
and we were regularly stoned (and literally stoned) by young zionist
yeshiva bochers when we attempted to dance before the wall in
yerushaliam.  it was long my stated belief that israel would be paradise if
not for the religious right in that country who fuck everything up and r
behind, equally with the maniacs of first, fatah and then hamas, in making
most of the horrific trouble in that part of the middle east.
for yours and anybody’s information, israel will never be wiped off the map
and nor should it be. i personally would put myself in the front line if
anybody were capable of attempting such a coup and tried it on.
Brian X, London.
 >> agree with every word of that.
except you seem to (mistakenly?) misread the very point about misreading
(deliberately!) which i was making. that point is that avadinnershag was
NOT talking about physically attacking anyone when he made the remark. he
wanted Israel, the only state in the world with religion built into its
constitution, to be removed. ie it should open itself on the religious
level and at least make a legalistic PRETENCE at tolerance like every other
state on the planet. but all reporters in the west quiesce in deliberately
misinterpreting his remark to mean war. and i think they KNOW perfectly
well what his actual meaning was. is all.
up

Hamas Demands Palestinian Rights
As Israel Implements Final Solution
By Genevieve Cora Fraser
As Hamas struggles to form a coalition government, find its political
footing and a new voice for the Palestinian people, I suspect their
assessment concerning Israel and the West is correct.  The game is lost
with the West because Western powers support Israel First.  And frankly, my
dear, Israel doesn't give a damn for the lives of its Arab citizens, the
Palestinians or their Arab neighbours.

Check out Israel's laws.  Their blueprint for racism, apartheid and
dehumanising others abounds.  From the beginning the West accepted Israel's
Absentee Property and Planning Laws though the UN cried foul and demanded
change.  These laws are not only one-sided and unfair, they basically
stripped Arab Israeli citizens and Palestinians of Human Rights which
allowed and continues to allow for taking of their land, property and in
1948 their bank accounts.  Of course in February '04, Israel also robbed
the banks in Ramallah because of so-called Palestinian terrorism.  This act
was also a reflection of "illegal" Israeli laws which allows for
accusations without trial to be quickly followed by punishment, including
death.

Hamas should not recognise Israel until the latter recognises the human
rights of its own citizens - other than Jewish Nationals.  Recently at the
urging of so-called Nobel Peace Prize winner Shimon Peres who wants the
Negev for Jews only, the Knesset voted to ethnically cleanse 40,000 of its
own Israeli citizens, Arab Bedouins from their ancient homelands.  The
illegal land grabs in East Jerusalem and the West Bank are also justified
under Israel's racist laws.

Despite our best intentions, we Internationals accomplish little because we
do not challenge Israel's right to exist in it's present form.
“Wipe Israel off the face of the map”, get it?!

Pressure should be put on Israel to change its governance structure, and to
adopt a Constitutional Democracy with transparency which upholds Basic
Human Rights.  Israel could maintain its Jewish character through its
holidays and provide for Jewish Law Courts for those who are practising
Jews and wish to adhere to these mandates, but others should not be
subjected to them, anymore than non-Muslims should be subjected to Islamic
rulings under Hamas (who claim they won't be).

The game is over for Palestine if they depend on the West.  Israel's
Occupation is Israel's de-facto claim to all of Palestine despite
international laws to the contrary.  To accept Israel is to accept Israeli
supremacy and to legitimise their racist laws and the occupation.  Hamas
refuses to do this - as is their right and frankly, their obligation.  They
have no option but to turn to the Arab world and Islam for support and to
other sympathetic governments who also fear the effect of a One World
Government with Israel and a Zionist-America at its centre.  Of course,
many could die - but many will die as America and the EU boycott Palestine
for voting for Hamas.  And many will die  because Israel wills it to be as
they move toward their Final Solution as certain Israeli politicians have
stated recently.
Genevieve Cora Fraser.
up!

Israel's Colonisation Of Palestine
Blocking Peace, Says Jimmy Carter
· Actions will perpetuate violence across region
· Future for West Bank and Gaza Strip 'dismal'
The Guardian/Chris McGreal in Jerusalem

Former US president Jimmy Carter has described Israel's "colonisation of
Palestine" through expanding Jewish settlements as the single greatest
obstacle to a resolution of the conflict.

Mr Carter, 81, who negotiated the 1978 Camp David peace accord between
Israel and Egypt, wrote in the Tel Aviv newspaper Haaretz yesterday that
Israel's actions doom any Palestinian state to a "dismal" future, and will
perpetuate violence across the Middle East.  "The pre-eminent obstacle to
peace is Israel's colonisation of Palestine," he wrote.  "Israel's
occupation of Palestine has obstructed a comprehensive peace agreement in
the Holy Land, regardless of whether Palestinians had no formalised
government, one headed by Yasser Arafat or Mahmoud Abbas, or with Abbas as
president and Hamas controlling the parliament and cabinet."

He also questioned Israel's commitment to the US-led "road map" peace
process.  "Israel has officially rejected its basic premises with patently
unacceptable caveats and prerequisites," he said.

Even during the Camp David negotiation, said Mr Carter, Israel was
insincere when it offered to withdraw only a small proportion of the
225,000 settlers living in the West Bank.  "Their best official offer to
the Palestinians was to withdraw 20% of them, leaving 180,000 in 209
settlements, which they claimed only covered 5% of the occupied land," he
said.

"But the 5% figure is grossly misleading, with surrounding areas taken or
earmarked for expansion, roadways joining settlements with each other and
to Jerusalem, and wide arterial swathes providing water, sewage,
electricity and communications. This intricate honeycomb divides the entire
West Bank into multiple fragments, often uninhabitable or even unreachable."

Mr Carter said Israel's unilateral pullout from the Gaza Strip had left it
as a "non-viable economic and political entity," and that the future of the
West Bank is "equally dismal".

"This, and the Wall, will never be acceptable either to Palestinians or to
the international community, and will inevitably precipitate increased
tension and violence within Palestine, and stronger resentment and
animosity from the Arab world against America, which will be held
accountable for the plight of the Palestinians."
 >> and among all fair civilised people in the west.

Palestine’s prime minister designate, Ismail Haniyeh, told CBS television
that Hamas would renounce violence and recognise the Jewish state only when
Israel recognised "a Palestinian state within the boundaries of Gaza, the
West Bank and East Jerusalem".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1733742,00.html
UP!
a l l g o o d t h i n g s c o m e t o a n e n d
which don't justify nuttin'
U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U UP P P P P P P P P P P P P P P P P P P
P P P P P P P
YOUR PLANET NEEDS //YOU!This HipList grows purely by recommendation.
SO RECOMMEND SOMEONE 2DAY!!!!!!!!!!
TO DEBATE ANYTHING in the UP!, visit the GroupMind Debating Board on
WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM
YES, YES, SEND US EDUTAINING NEWSN VIEWS no need to ask! :-)
FOR MORE FRASER ON RAVE CULTURE & THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, VISIT
WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM/fraser