[pagan-magik] UP! 257// Poets Intervene to Save RIMBAUD-VERLAINE House in Camden// 20 07 07

fraser at parallel-youniversity.com fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
Fri Jul 20 03:12:33 BST 2007

*TURN ON COMPUTER // TUNE IN TO F UNLEASHED SPIRIT OF INTERNET // TAKE
OVER!*

*
*

**You rock, Fraserman...
Your thought trails are always so spot on.
You talk directly to my conscience!
Peace And Power To You,
Gareth Strangemore-Jones, Campaign Promotions.
> > those are precisely the effects i would wish to produce, thankyou so
much for telling me :)
UP!

the goddess?
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.fullscreen&videoid=2022646177
<http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.fullscreen&videoid=2022646177>
UP!

*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
*Get UP!  /Stand Up For Your Rights! /**/(and everybody else's too of
course! :)/*
*/u can't understand the world without innerstanding yourself/*
*UP! **257 20  07  07*
/---- LA- LA- LA- LAP-TOPPLING DA SYSTEM! ----/
*/u cant innerstand yourself without understanding the world/*
*  Get UP!  /And Don't Give Up The Fight! /**/(only we don't mean
violence, ok? :)/*
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
FEATURING /exclusive re-writes & re-mixes of da freshest deepest hacks
ancient & modern ,and/
/SAMPLES// from media & mentalities all over, & all bubbling //up!
//from da public DNA Herself!/
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)((\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
*

*UP!s BADDEST T-SHIRT OF THE WEEK

*
/SPOT THE/
/WEIRDO/
(from john morris - again!)
[send in examples pls :-]
UP!

**
*_contents_**...*
** **[just click down screens to get there.  u r on screen 2 :]
screen 03  Poets Intervene to Save RIMBAUD-VERLAINE House in Camden
screen 06  Europe's Last Commune Braces for Battle
screen 09  We're All Kinda Hippies Now!
screen 13  Cracks in Zionism - by Charlie Reese.
screen 15  Ayahuasca in National Geographic Adventure Magazine
screen 18  Glastonbury Festival Boycott ?  what say u UPPies?!//FEEDBACK
************UP!

think logically act globularly 1 ...
Poets Intervene to Save RIMBAUD-VERLAINE House in Camden
8 ROYAL COLLEGE STREET / THE RIMBAUD-VERLAINE HOUSE / A MECCA FOR POETS
Poets have intervened to save a listed building in Camden from being
illegally damaged by developers.

Niall McDevitt and Aidan Dun were visiting the heritage site at 8 Royal
College Street in Mornington Crescent - home to the famous 19th Century
French poets Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud in 1873 - when they saw
workmen ripping up railings.

They immediately contacted Camden Council who confirmed that the site
was a Grade 2 Listed building and that the workmen were acting
unlawfully.  They sent a Planning Enforcement Team, led by David Bloom,
who surveyed the damage.  The Council have now put up Preservation
Orders all about the house and work has halted.

The poets are staging an ongoing vigil at the house and are launching a
campaign to prevent any further desecration of this important site.
They have also demanded the immediate return and repair of the railings.

The History
"Verlaine was always chasing Rimbaud's" - Dorothy Parker.
8 Royal College Street is one of London's legendary addresses, a
cultural icon, and an international magnet for poets who regard it as
nothing short of a Mecca.

In 1873 it was home both to Paul Verlaine, now recognised as one of the
great French poets of the 19th Century, but also to Arthur Rimbaud, who
is recognised as one of the all-time geniuses of world literature.  Not
only were they literary friends and allies, "a Wordsworth and Coleridge
of French poetry," they were also lovers. Their incredibly creative,
incredibly destructive relationship has become a modern myth.  As Bob
Dylan once sang:

                         "Situations have ended sad
                           Relationships have all been bad
                           Mine have been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud's
                           But there is no way I can compare
                           All them scenes to this affair
                           You're going to make me lonesome when you go."

Their friendship began in 1871 when Verlaine (then in his late twenties)
received poems from the brilliantly precocious 16-year-old Rimbaud and
invited him to Paris.  To the horror of Mrs. Verlaine, his young
high-society wife. and the Parisian literary establishment, the two
poets fell in love. "Love must be re-invented" was one of Rimbaud'
war-cries of the time.  The liaison was fueled with hefty consumption of
absinthe and cannabis (or to paraphrase the Pogues: Absinthe, Sodomy and
the Hash).

To get away from the scandal they 'eloped' to London, living on Howland
St. very near where the Post Office Tower now stands.  In May 1873,
after a brief separation, they returned to London and rented the attic
room at 8 Royal College Street.  Both poets were at the peak of their
creativity and Rimbaud is known to have composed some of his
inspirational prose-poems Les Illuminations at this time.

But the relationship was on a knife-edge.  One afternoon, Verlaine was
returning to the house with fish for their supper when Rimbaud leaned
out of the window and jibed: "If only you knew how ridiculous you look
with that herring in your hand."

It was the final straw.  Ignoring Rimbaud's pleas to stay, Verlaine
packed and left for Belgium where he wrote his mother that he was
planning to kill himself.  When she and Rimbaud joined him in Brussels,
Verlaine was hysterical, drunk, and in possession of a firearm.  He
locked Rimbaud in a hotel room and fired three shots, one of which hit
Rimbaud in the wrist.  Verlaine was sentenced to two years hard labour.
Rimbaud returned to his mother's home at Roche, and finished both Les
Illuminations and his more famous Un Saison En Enfer (A Season in
Hell).  He then, "at the astonishing age of only 19," abandoned his
literary career.

Rimbaud's influence on 20th Century culture is profound.  The youthful
genius of both Dylan Thomas and Bob Dylan would not have manifested in
the way it did without the FrenchmanEUR^(TM)s inspiration and example.
Thomas, "whose behaviour was notorious," claimed to be "the Rimbaud of
Cwmdonkin Drive".

Rimbaud and Verlaine are one of the great double-acts of modern
literature.  Their poems have been set to music by great composers such
as Benjamin Britten and Claude Debussy.  Total Eclipse, Christopher
Hampton's play about their relationship, was turned into a film starring
Leonardo de Caprio as Rimbaud and David Thewlis as Verlaine.

8 Royal College Street is the only Rimbaud/Verlaine address which
survives.  An exceptional Georgian property, it is a Grade 2 listed
building in its own right.  There is no blue plaque for the poets, but a
private white marble plaque was erected by anonymous and mysterious twin
brothers in the early 20th Century.  The Royal Veterinarian College,
based next door, recently sold the property (along with nos. 10 and 6)
to a private individual, Michael Ogun, who plans to refurbish it, rent
it, and sell it on in about five years time.
[Niall McDevitt]
Since this, workmen have been spotted around the place.  PLEEEEASE send
an email to DEMAND that Camden Council do its utmost to protect the house -
david.bloom at camden.gov.uk
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Documents/UP%21/david.bloom@camden.gov.uk>
There will be open poetry readings and guerrilla barbecues at the site
on FRI July 20 and SAT July 21at 7pm.
up

think logically act globularly 2...
Tara Campaigners Picket Irish Embassies World Wide
TaraWatch picketed a number of Irish embassies world wide, and at Dail
Eireann, to protest the Irish Government's refusal to heed warnings from
the European Commission that M3 works at the Hill of Tara are illegal.

TaraWatch UK picketed in London.  TaraWatch US held demonstrations in a
number of cities including New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles.
The Dublin demonstration began outside Dail Eireann, Kildare Street.

International support has been rapidly growing since the World Monuments
Fund designated Tara one of the 100 Most Endangered sites in June.  In
addition, news of the election pact between the Green Party and Fianna
Fail, at the cost of Tara, as well as Government refusal to heed EU
warnings, have inflamed passions in many Irish abroad.

TaraWatch is stepping up protests in an effort to put pressure on
Minister Gormley to act and prevent this matter going before the
courts.  A large 'Love Tara' march will be held on Saturday, 21st July
in Dublin at 1.00pm, which will go from the Garden of Remembrance to
Custom House.

Darren Delahunty, one of the organisers of the London said:
"Irish people in the UK are outraged at the refusal or the Irish
authorities to try and proceed with the road, even when the public are
so against it, and the EU have stated it is illegal.
"Since Irish abroad cannot vote in Irish elections, we are making our
views known to our Government in the only way we can."

Richard Wallace, one of the organisers of the US events said:
"Irish Americans and the public in general are horrified when they hear
of the M3 plans. We are determined to let our opinions be clearly known
to the Irish authorities abroad."
Contact: Dublin: Laura Grealish 087-972-8603 // London: Darren Delahunty
-- 00-791-766-2249 // New York: Aoife Rivera Serrano 001.212.633.0431 //
Chicago, LA, Boston: Richard Wallace 001.312.855.1300
up!

think logically act globularly 3...
AS PEOPLE WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT THE HIPPIES WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG,
Europe's Last Commune Braces for Battle
by Christopher Thompson
There's something different in the air at Christiania these days - the
usual spicy aroma of marijuana smoke now occasionally mixes with the
smell of tear gas and burning tires.  That's because, more than 3
decades after Europe's oldest and largest commune was established as an
antidote to "selfish society," Danish authorities are moving to close it
down.

More than 90 people were arrested a few weeks ago after groups of youths
fought running battles with police, throwing bottles and cobblestones
and burning homemade barricades.  The riot, a rare occurrence in this
normally placid Scandinavian country, was prompted by police arriving to
demolish a shelter deemed unsafe by the authorities.

"There is a radicalisation between young people and police in Copenhagen
that we haven't seen in years," says Henrik Bang, professor of politics
at the University of Copenhagen.  "And the conflict will get worse."

Since 1971 the commune's 800 residents, inspired by the ideals of peace
and free love, have maintained a free-wheeling idyll in this former navy
base - an overgrown woodland spotted with lakes and pretty redbrick and
wood houses that provides a retreat for artists, musicians and
free-thinkers of all stripes in a self-declared "free state" that flies
its own flag and does not pay market property tax rates.
> > free in the sense of not murdering the planet.

But Christiania sits on prime real estate in Copenhagen's upmarket
Christenhaven neighbourhood, and Denmark's conservative government wants
to reclaim the territory for an ambitious housing project.
> > c wot i mean?

"I think ordinary Danish people just think it's a little odd," explained
Bang.  "People are living in houses worth $5 million, the land has big
recreational possibilities - so why should they be allowed to govern
themselves outside Danish society?"
> > because the surrounding society needs to learn from the Christianians
by lowering their lifestyle demands?

Traditionally, the commune's friction with local police has been over
drug policy.  Pusher Street, Christiania's ramshackle main thoroughfare,
allowed cannabis dealers to display their wares in glass-topped
cabinets, graded according to strength - until a police incursion in
2003.  Still, the authorities claim, some $200,000 of marijuana is still
bought and sold every day in Christiania, and critics charge that the
commune long ago sold out its ideals.
> > yeah, right, like they've built monstrous highrises and allowed cars
back in NOT!

"The original idealism has long since evaporated," says Jens Sorensen, a
Copenhagen-based political consultant.  "Christiania is now home to an
'alternative' elite."

But the old hippie idealism still shapes many of the rules that govern
the commune: Selling property is not allowed, and instead of cars - also
banned - residents use bicycles to ferry everything from groceries to
children.
> > WIPE EM OUT!  WIPE EM OUT!  quick, before others start copying them!
THEY'RE A THREAT TO THE REIGNING SYSTEM!

At the day care center set on the shore of the commune's wooded lake,
minder Richard Lonsdale has just put on a movie for children after
finishing school classes.  "I've been here for five years and it's
changed a hell of a lot," he says.  "There's been a general hardening of
attitudes [from the police] - they think we're the enemy, but we don't
teach our kids that."
> > well, i fukkin would! ;D

As well as the kindergarten, Christiania also boasts a health clinic, a
book shop, a vegan restaurant and a concert venue, which gets
transformed into an impromptu dining hall once a year when residents
organise a Christmas party for Copenhagen's homeless.
> > WIPE EM OUT!  WIPE EM OUT!  quick, before others start copying them!
THEY'RE A THREAT TO THE REIGNING SYSTEM!

But the clashes with the authorities has brought about changes in the
attitudes of a traditionally tolerant Danish society.  The current
conservative government, for example, rules in coalition with the openly
anti-immigrant Danish People's Party.  In response, a new political
party - dubbed the New Alliance - was set up in May, electing its
leader, Syrian-born Nasser Khader, as the country's first-ever member of
parliament from the 8% of the population whose origins are foreign.
And, in the 7 weeks since the Christiania riots, the New Alliance has
become Denmark's third largest party.

"Danish society used to a be a consensus society," says Khader.  "But in
the last few years Danish politicians have forgotten the centre.  We
want to go back to the middle of the road."
> > ahem, that's the Middle Path.  the middle of the road is NOT the
place to be.

But even a New Alliance surge in elections expected later this year
could be too late for the communards of Christiania.  As they make the
most of the long summer evening on a recent Tuesday, the conversation
among the gardeners, painters and barbecue chefs can quickly turn
tense.  "The government is taking the temperature of how it's going to
be when they clear the whole place out", says Marco Malcopes, the
25-year old manager of the commune's Info Cafe.  "If that's their
intention we showed them what will happen!"
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1637000,00.html
UP!

Organic Farming COULD Feed The World
A switch to organic farming would NOT reduce the world's food suppl, and
could also increase food security in developing countries, say the
authors of a new study.

They found that in developed countries, organic systems on average
produce 92% of the yield produced by conventional agriculture.

In developing countries, however, organic systems produce 80% MORE than
conventional farms because the materials needed for organic farming are
more accessible to farmers in poor countries (they cannot afford the
fertilisers and pesticides needed for intensive agriculture).
[NewScientist.com]
UP!

We're All Kind of Hippies Now!
Mary Ann Sieghart//TIMESONLINE
According to a YouGov poll for Readers Digest, we are all hippies now.
And it's not just the maxi dresses flooding out of Topshop or the
instant sell-out of Glastonbury tickets.  The values of peace, love,
greenery, independence of mind and sexual freedom are no longer
alternative but mainstream.

75% of us now agree with sex before marriage,
82% want to save the planet
48% believe in questioning authority.
AND AT LEAST 50% OF THE UK CABINET HAVE SMOKED CANNABIS!!!!!

Roughly the same proportion think there are too many rules in society
and a similar percentage -- the same people, perhaps? -- enjoy walking
around barefoot.

You may think that some hippy values have been taken too far.  Perhaps a
little more deference would be desirable.  But you have to remember the
world from which the hippies burst: the stultified, uptight, rigidly
hierarchical society of the 1950s and early 1960s, in which wives were
expected to give up their jobs and wear pinnies.  The hippies' rejection
of 1950s values was a great hurricane of fresh air blowing into a stale
room whose windows had been painted shut for decades.

People then felt trapped by social convention.  Women in particular had
very little power over their lives.  It was the hippies' insight that
everyone should be allowed to break out and be themselves, not be forced
into a persona that had been ordained by others -- real freedom of
expression, in other words.

The hippies were also green long before their time.  Many of them tried
to live a life of self-sufficiency, growing their own food, generating
energy and building homes.  Now 47% of Britons say they would consider
trying to emulate them.
> > but first u gotta apologise :)

Nearly half of Britons say they agree with the slogan Make Love Not War
and 35% think there is never any excuse for war.

So, if in general you prefer gentleness to violence, think nature should
be tended not destroyed, believe optimism, however misguided, beats
hard-faced cynicism, then you are probably, like me, a hippy at heart.

And the great news is that much of the rest of the country is too.  We,
as a nation, have become kinder, more open and more broad-minded in the
past 40 years.  We should light an incense stick for the hippies of 1967.
> > okay.  but am still awaiting my UN pension for services to the
planet, and am not joking.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/mary_ann_sieghart/article1837763.ece
UP!

god help us for what we've done to the Iraqi people

A Word from one of the Victims

"What are we supposed to do with our dead ones, our injured ones, our
memories, our lost hopes, our vanished dreams?
What are we supposed to do with our exile, our losses, our uprootedness?
Christ was crucified once.  He was able to forgive.
But you are crucifying us daily.

So how do I forgive?"
[From a recent piece called "Some Thoughts on Forgiveness," by Layla
Anwar, Iraqi blogger and poet.]
http://arabwomanblues.blogspot.com/ <http://arabwomanblues.blogspot.com/>
UP!

Pak Army For Hire: ONLY $100 Million a Month
Highest Bidder:  The United States
The United States is paying around $100 million a month for the
deployment of 80,000 Pakistani troops on its border with Afghanistan
ostensibly for the war of terrorism, a key US official revealed on Thursday.

Aid to Pakistan in Tribal Areas Raises Concerns
But that's not all.  Over the next five years, the US plans to pour
another $750 million of aid into Pakistan's tribal areas as part of a
"hearts and minds" campaign to win over this lawless region from
al-Qaeda and Taliban militants.
> >'normalisation'.

But even before the plan has been fully carried out, documents and
officials involved in the planning are warning of the dangers of
distributing so much money in an area so hostile that oversight is
impossible, even by Pakistan's own government, which already faces
rising threats from Islamic militants.
http://www.legitgov.org/index.html#breaking_news
UP!
You've excelled yourself on this episode
of your swashbuckling series.
Effing good work sir!
tony gosling. uk.
UP!

New Information Release
About Tourette's Syndrome
Access the link below for the absolute latest on Tourette's Syndrome...
http://kineticnorth.com/TS/
[sent in by Carl Friar]
UP!
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
*T**E**X**T **J**O**C**K**E**Y //**TJ PHRASER (**Fraser Clark) & THE
MEDIA EVOLUTION*
*MIXING THE TRACTS LIVE ON THE KEYBOARD*
*@ A MEDIA-MEME RATE OF 160 IPP * * Ideas Per Paragraph*
*_TO SUBSCRIBE SOMEONE_, WRITE I wanna get UP! TO
fraser at parallel-youniversity.com*
*TO UNSUBSCRIBE, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX*
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
**
*
*
Cracks in Zionism
by Charley Reese.
One of the myths created by the Israeli lobby is that Jews around the
world are unanimous in their support of Israel, regardless of what it
does.  That's not true and never has been true.
> > but see below what happens if you break ranks publicly and you'll see
why i have so many jewish friends who are, on this crucial global
subject, traitors to democracy.

Modern political Zionism, whose ideology demands a Jewish state with a
Jewish majority, was invented by an Austrian journalist and for decades
struggled desperately.  It wasn't God who created the modern state of
Israel.  It was British colonialism, the U.S., the Soviet Union, and
Zionists.

Only about a third of the world's Jews choose to live in Israel, despite
nearly a century of efforts to persuade Jews to immigrate.  There were
many early Jewish critics of Zionism, and there still are, despite
modern Zionists adopting fascist tactics to silence debate.

Joel Beinin, a Jewish liberal who has been on the receiving end of the
campaign to silence critics of Israel, had this to say in a recent
article reprinted on Znet:

"Organisations claiming to represent American Jews engage in a
systematic campaign of defamation, censorship and hate-mongering to
silence criticism of Israeli policies.  They hollow the ethical core out
of the Jewish tradition, acting instead as if the highest purpose of
being Jewish is to defend Israel, right or wrong.

"Why discredit, defame and silence those with opposing viewpoints?  I
believe it is because the Zionist lobby knows it cannot win based on
facts.  An honest discussion can only lead to one conclusion: The status
quo in which Israel declares that it alone has rights and intends to
impose its will on the weaker Palestinians, stripping them permanently
of their land, resources and rights, cannot lead to a lasting peace.

"We need an open debate and the freedom to discuss uncomfortable facts
and explore a full range of policy options.  Only then can we adopt a
foreign policy that serves American interests."

Avigail Abarbanel, a native-born Israeli Jew who lived there 27 years
before emigrating, has even harsher words on the Web site
ElectronicIntifada.net, which I highly recommend as a source of
information about the Middle East:

"Palestinian citizens of Israel live under an arbitrary and brutal
police state.  Their dealings with Israeli bureaucracy are not just
frustrating but can be outright dangerous.

"The Palestinians in the Occupied Territories live under a Pinochet-like
regime.  They can and do disappear in the middle of the night.  They are
blindfolded, cuffed, beaten, humiliated, taken to unknown locations with
no information given to them or their families, tortured physically and
psychologically and incarcerated indefinitely, often without charges and
regardless of whether they are guilty of anything.

"Israel is not a nice country.  It is a powerful police state founded on
pathological paranoia with only a veneer of civility, carefully crafted
and maintained for the consumption of those who still believe in the
myth of Israeli democracy."

You might want to send that paragraph to the next politician you hear
repeating AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) propaganda
that "Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East."

America badly needs an open and frank debate, based on facts, with no
name-calling. Our politicians are as timid as an introverted baby when
it comes to Israel. The Israeli lobby likes to boast about defeating
candidates who don't toe the Israel-right-or-wrong line. As a tip to the
not-completely-gutless politicians, the way to handle that is to make
AIPAC an issue in the campaign.

A group of Zionist leaders is meeting in Israel as I write this,
worrying about an increase in criticism of them for stifling debate.
They are not invincible.   They can't silence any American unless the
American succumbs to fear of being called names, and I learned as a
child that sticks and stones can break bones, but words can't hurt you.
www.antiwar.com/reese/?articleid=11283
UP!

I had to write - you're maybe the only guy on the planet that
innerstands certain things..
The American economy is about to collapse... we've been there, done
that... but this is the worst we will have ever seen...
I read things on blogs and forums...  holy crap... they have no idea...
just how bad it will be...
They think a few years to sort it out... yeah, right...
It frightens me - but it is the endgame.  The end of the line.  The
folly will continue but it will only make things worse.
Sometimes you hate being right.
Jerry (in the US.)
> > they think it's nearly all over.  IT IS NOW.
UP!

UK Cannabis Laws To Be Reviewed
Recent Blair laws making possession of cannabis a largely non-arrestable
offence could be reversed, says new Brit PM Gordon Brown.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/6904547.stm
> > is he going rightwards, or is he trying to embarrass ex
coke-snorting, pot-puffing tory leader dave cameron?
the argument of course is these sooperstrong skunk tings.  cause
schizophrenia see?  not like being in the army or getting drunk.
up!

7 UK Cabinet Ministers Admit: 'We Smoked Cannabis'
Seven members of the cabinet last night admitted to breaking the law by
using cannabis in their youth - including the Home Secretary Jacqui
Smith and the Chancellor Alistair Darling.  The extraordinary cabinet
confessional brought fresh pressure on David Cameron and members of his
Tory team to come clean about their own history of drug use.
> > it's supposedly about tightening the laws on sooper skunk but what i
see is the entire UK political spectrum letting the drug bogeyman out of
his bag and 'normalising' it all.  who's next?  prince charles to admit
his pot smoking youth?  public admissions that Diana was heavy into
coke?  and what's the current correct attitude then?  it's Normal but
Foolish?
up!

Ayahuasca in National Geographic Adventure Magazine
For centuries, Amazonian shamans have used ayahuasca as a window into
the soul.  The sacrament, they claim, can cure any illness.  The author
joins in this ancient ritual and finds the worlds within more terrifying
- and enlightening - than ever imagined.

I will never forget what it was like.  The overwhelming misery.  The
certainty of never-ending suffering.  No one to help you, no way to
escape.  Everywhere I looked: darkness so thick that the idea of light
seemed inconceivable.

Suddenly, I swirled down a tunnel of fire, wailing figures calling out
to me in agony, begging me to save them.  Others tried to terrorise me.
"You will never leave here," they said.  "Never. Never."

I found myself laughing at them.  "I'm not scared of you," I said.  But
the darkness became even thicker; the emotional charge of suffering
nearly unbearable.  I felt as if I would burst from heartbreak -
everywhere, I felt the agony of humankind, its tragedies, its hatreds,
its sorrows.  I reached the bottom of the tunnel and saw 3 thrones in a
black chamber.  3 shadowy figures sat in the chairs; in the middle was
what I took to be the devil himself.

"The darkness will never end," he said.  "It will never end. You can
never escape this place."

"I can," I replied.

All at once, I willed myself to rise.  I sailed up through the tunnel of
fire, higher and higher until I broke through to a white light.  All
darkness immediately vanished.  My body felt light, at peace.  I floated
among a beautiful spread of colors and patterns.  Slowly my ayahuasca
vision faded.  I returned to my body, to where I lay in the hut, insects
calling from the jungle.

"Welcome back," the shaman said.

The next morning, I discovered the impossible: The severe depression
that had ruled my life since childhood had miraculously vanished.

Giant blue butterflies flutter clumsily past our canoe.  Parrots flee
higher into treetops.  The deeper we go into the Amazon jungle, the more
I realise I can't turn back.  It has been a year since my last visit,
and I'm here again in Peru traveling down the Río Aucayacu for more
shamanistic healing.  The truth is, I'm petrified to do it a second time
around.  But with shamanism - and with the drinking of ayahuasca in
particular - I've learned that, for me, the worse the experience, the
better the payoff.  There is only one requirement for this work: You
must be brave.  You'll be learning how to save yourself.

The jungle camp where our shamanistic treatment will take place is some
200 miles (322 kilometers) from the nearest town, Iquitos, deep in the
Peruvian Amazon. Beside me are the other four members of my tour. There
is Winston, the biggest person I've ever met. Nearly seven feet tall
(two meters), surely over 400 pounds (181 kilograms), he has a powerful
body that could easily rip someone apart. I expect him to be a bodyguard
or a bouncer; turns out he's a security guard. But there is something
else about him. Something less tangible. It seems to rest in the black
circles beneath his eyes, the face that never smiles, the glances that
immediately dismiss all they survey. Winston does not seem like a happy man.

A year ago I came to Peru on a lark to take the "sacred spirit
medicine," ayahuasca, and get worked over by shamans.  Little suspecting
that I'd emerge from it feeling as if a waterlogged wool coat had been
removed from my shoulders - literally feeling the burden of depression
lifted - and thinking that there must be something to this crazy
shamanism after all.

And so I am back again.
http://www.thedrugsindex.org/cms/?p=381
up!

bosnia
*July 14 to Aug 5**    The European Rainbow Gathering*
*http://bih.maps.googlepages.com/rainbowgathering20072*
UP!
**

*)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o*
the UP! is a global edutainment round-up, broadcast weekly to =[13,035]=
Alternative// Activist// Zippy// Trance// New Age// Peace folks
recommended to the Parallel YOUniversity// Megatripolis Dance Dept as
 /"showing signs of life"./  Since recipients forward it widely to their
own lists & sites
we conservatively estimate _50,000+ _direct recipients.
A further 40,000 read it on the YOUniversity's site.
And, because of its 'mix' of 'specialist' & 'general' content,
   it's increasingly being posted on a variety of sites worldwide,
making an estimated total weekly readership of _=[275,000]=_
*)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o

*

A Green Boycott of Glastonbury Festival?
what do you say UPPies?!
//FEEDBACK

I've been boycotting Glastonbury since the eighties when it became clear
it was nothing but a rip off rock promo with green tinges to make it
look alternative.  Agree with what you say, the greens shouldn't be
there, they lend cred to Eavis the Breadhead.  Perhaps a book of
reminiscences of Glastonbury by those who oppose it?
peter password, hereford.
up!

Hi Fraser,
I am much encouraged that someone has finally made public the sham of
Eavis's image and called out the way in which the culture of Glastonbury
is shifting.

One thing though - the abbreviation "Glasto" is part of that shift.
Nobody ever used that term before the last couple of years, usually some
slebrity or other saying "My favourite part of Glasto has always been
Lost Vagueness".
> > point well taken ;D

Personally I have always referred to it as the "Pilton Pop Festival" -
the site isn't even in Glastonbury fer fooks sake!  The "Pop" is ironic
(despite "death of ...") as for years there was no music worth hearing
there and people rarely went near the stages.  There was too much to do
meeting people.  This year I came across people who wouldn't even say
"hello".
> > u still go there??!!  get thee to the Buddhafield, my friend!
me, i've always maintained that the Big Stage was often very
empowering.  you'd be sitting there in a great conversation with
friends, someone would announce that Elvis was on the Big Stage a
hundred yards away, and everyone would say "aw, fukkit, this is much
better!"

Millions of people clamour for tickets each year, many only want to see
a couple of bands that they could see at any of the other copycat
festivals that are now on every weekend in the UK.  Glastonbury used to
have something special, but not any more.
> > only the legend now - which, of course, would disappear overnight if
there was a green boycott.  which would be a HELL of a waste of the REAL
spirit which still lurks there.

As for it being a green festival - don't make me laugh!  I walked past
the Acoustic Stage about 3 in the morning, all the lights and equipment
were still on despite it having been empty for hours.  And the Fire &
Dance stage, whilst undeniably spectacular, burns large quantities of
fossil fuels for entertainment.

Keep UP! the good work.
Murray Cowell, Southampton.
up!

Hi Fraser,
I too notice the eternal expansion and commercialization of Glastonbury
festival, risking the starvation of ecological and social innovation.
Just my opinion!
If ever the likes of the Green/Futures/Healing/Crafts Fields went and
put something on elsewhere, I'd find that seriously appealing and would
prefer it to the current over-subscribed setting.

I think the above organisers deserve massive recognition for promoting
environmental issues, justice, peace, health, sustainability, low-impact
living, energy strategy, arts and crafts into the mainstream
consciousness.  Why shouldn't they benefit more fairly from the ticket
money, and be respected for services to people and planet?
xxx
matt rhys-roberts, wales.
> > incredibly (but unfortunately true) it was reported to me that
michael eavis toured the greenfield after this last festi and shook his
head and complained how "old fashioned and low-tec" the whole thing
was!  this from the guy who's starved the most important aspect of the
festival for yeeeeeeeeeears!!!
up!

Re Glastonbury/Pilton.  It's long been over.  Ticket prices, unscalable
walls, I had a sudden revelation about 17 years ago when a boy in his
white baseball cap, his skin green with bad-drug addledness and his eyes
all wonky, stumbled into me.  What really stuck with me was the baseball
hat, it was so incongruous and I thought, ENUF.  Never went back.

Too many festivals, too high prices, not enough spirit, middle class
yurts and tipis rather than nomads living their everyday life opening
that lifestyle up to others.

But I'm hopeful that the next batch of grassroots events are ready,
perhaps under the guise of existing non-music camps.  That yearning for
intimacy and a different way of being doesn't go away, neither does the
yearning to offer it and find it in partnership.
(ps, security have always done their share of nicking and kicking,
that's what security's for! when things get too big, Babylon takes over.)
> > CORRECTION:  in the past Babylon has always taken over.  which is why
the planet is now in such a terrible mess.   so it has to stop HERE.  right?

Love and thanks
Clare Slaney-Davis, UK.
UP!

*al l g o o d t h i n g s c o m e t o a n e n d*

*which don't justify nuttin'*

*U U U U U U U U U U U U UP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
**YOUR PLANET NEEDS //YOU! This HipList grows purely by recommendation.
SO RECOMMEND SOMEONE 2DAY!!!!!!!!!!
YES, YES, SEND US EDUTAINING NEWS'N VIEWS no need to ask! :-)
FOR MORE FRASER ON RAVE CULTURE & THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, VISIT
_WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM/fraser_
**TO UNSUBSCRIBE**, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX
 **U U U U U U U U U U U U** **UP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

**
**