[pagan-magik] UP! 265// Speed of Light Barrier Smashed!// 05 10 07

fraser at parallel-youniversity.com fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
Thu Oct 4 02:17:49 BST 2007

*TURN ON** COMPUTER // TUNE IN TO FUNLEASHED SPIRIT OF INTERNET // TAKE
OVER!*
[DESIGNED, AND BEST READ, AS A FULL PAGE SPREAD]

*           \)**)**)**)**)**(**/** *
*___,,,,**_{**ô**¿**ô**}_,,,,_*fraser
Burma?  You want some news on Burma?
Hypocrisy has taken the place of Shame in so-called Western "civilisation."

Gordon Brown, when declaring the British people's revulsion over the
Burma violence, said nothing about the violence his government has been
inflicting on Iraqis and Afghans; for yeeeeears.

Not to be outdone, George W. Bush also struck the blameless pose: "The
world is watching the people of Burma take to the streets to demand
their freedom, and the American people stand in solidarity with these
brave individuals."

But neither Bush nor Brown stands in solidarity with the peoples of Iraq
and Afghanistan in their demands for freedom from foreign occupation.
Indeed, Bush and Brown, as commanders in chief, are on a killing spree
that makes the Burmese government look extremely restrained by comparison.

Israel too mouthed the words.  Yet, in March 1, 2000, an article titled
"Myanmar and Israel develop military" in the authoritative British
publication Jane's Intelligence Review detailed how Israeli companies
and the Israeli government have been supplying and developing weapons
for the Burmese regime, and sharing intelligence.
> > and decades-honed methods of dealing with civil unrest no doubt.

In August 1997 it was revealed that the Israeli defence manufacturing
company Elbit had won a contract to upgrade Myanmar's (then) three
squadrons of Chinese-built F-7 fighters and FT-7 trainers.

And to see proof of even more Israeli weapons sold to Burma's 's ruling
junta, like machine guns and artillery pieces, check out this article in
JANE's Intelligence Review.
http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/reg.burma/archives/200008/msg00005.html
[Paul Craig Roberts re-mixed]
UP!

I am longing for November and the launch of megatripolis at forever on youtube.
Please please send us the URL when the day comes, man.
That day will confirm you as the global shaman I've long suspected you are!
Love and respect,
Paul Hithersay, Norwich, UK.
UP!

*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
*Get UP!  /Stand Up For Your Rights! /**/(and everybody else's too of
course! :)/*
*/u can't understand the world without innerstanding yourself/*
**  All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. *UP! **264    *Third, it is accepted as
being self-evident.** 05  10  07
/---- LA- LA- LA- LAP-TOPPLING DA SYSTEM! ----/
*/u cant innerstand yourself without understanding the world/*
*  Get UP!  /And Don't Give Up The Fight! /**/(only we don't mean
violence, ok? :)/*
*(\o//)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
FEATURING /exclusive re-writes & re-mixes of da freshest deepest hacks
ancient & modern ,and/
/SAMPLES// from media & mentalities all over, & all bubbling //up!
//from da public DNA Herself!/
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

*
*_contents_***
****/[click down screens to get there.  u r on screen 2 :]/
screen 03   Speed of Light Barrier Smashed!
screen 05   The Empire Is Over
screen 06   The Ongoing Economic Crash: 6 minute Lesson on Youtube
screen 07   San Francisco Awards Michael Bowen - for "charitable efforts
and spirit."
screen 09  Philosophers Are Ad-Men - from the NEW Tim Leary book
screen 11   remember alzheimers - fraser editorial
screen 13   the UP!s and DOWNERs of this summer's waveform festival
screen 17   WHY THE QUAKERS STOPPED QUAKING//FEEDBACK.
UP!

**
Speed of Light Barrier Smashed!
"An astronaut moving faster than it would theoretically arrive at a
destination before leaving"

They're getting closer!  2 German physicists claim to have broken the
ultimate speed limit -- the speed of light - an achievement that would
overthrow the 'established religion' regarding space and time.
> > Change moving fast enuff for u?

According to Einstein's special theory of relativity, it would require
an infinite amount of energy to propel an object at more than 186,000
miles per second.
> > my 'mind' does it every day i dunno about u :)

But Dr's Gunter Nimtz and Alfons Stahlhofen, of the University of
Koblenz, say they may have breached a key tenet of that theory.  They
say they have conducted an experiment in which microwave photons -
energetic packets of light - traveled "instantaneously" between a pair
of prisms that had been moved up to 3ft apart.  The scientists were
investigating a phenomenon called quantum tunneling, which allows
sub-atomic particles to break apparently unbreakable laws.
> > they go a different route, see?  they don't follow the outer shape of
our 3-dimensionally defined world.  the more dimensions to the world the
more 'direct' paths from A to B.  or go the other way: remove
'dimensions' and everything is really next to each other, in fact in the
same spot.  u might want to call such a spot the origin of the Big
Bang(s).  gottit?  it only seems complicated because those 'scientists'
interpret everything 'downwards' in order to fit parts of them into
their little measuring devices.

Being able to travel faster than the speed of light leads to a wide
variety of bizarre consequences.  For instance, an astronaut moving
faster than it would theoretically arrive at a destination before leaving.
> > Time-dancing follows too of course.   and it would mean that it's
ALWAYS been going on.

Dr Nimtz told New Scientist magazine: "For the time being, this is the
only violation of special relativity that I know of."
> > he's not including shit you and i do every day, he means no other
scientist has stuck his prisms in the right place to be able to measure
a bit of what's going on all around and even through him!
[DrRichBoylanReports]
up!

Breaking the Light Barrier by a Factor of 300
In another experiment reported in this week's journal /Nature/,
scientists at the NEC Research Institute in Princeton, New Jersey claim
to have also broken the speed of light.  Though hotly contested, some
say this achievement could dramatically increase the speeds at which we
can send and receive information.

Contrary to Albert Einstein's
<http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/grav_probe_b_000310.html>
theory of special relativity, NECs Lijun Wang says he created an
experiment in which a light beam raced through a gas-filled chamber so
quickly it exceeded the speed of light by a factor of 300!  What's more,
the light pulse appears to have left the confines of the chamber before
it even entered - heresy according to 'established' theories of
causality which predict that causes must always precede their effects.
> >megatripolitans, of course, innerstand that their Origin lies at the
end of the Future and is pulling them back towards Her.

Raymond Chiao, a physicist at the University of California at Berkeley
and one of a group of researchers who have been working to break the
speed-of-light limit, explained that, although a common object such as a
baseball could never be flung faster than the speed of light, pulses of
energy with certain complex properties have been known to bend the rules.

"The effects in this experiment are much larger and more spectacular"
than previous observations, said Chiao.

Most scientists agree that even if such a beam can be proved speedier
than light, it would probably not be able to carry any information.
> > but who would bother listening to
them?!http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/faster_than_c_000719.html
up!

Oh, and Oxford Scientists just Proved that
Parallel Universes ALSO Really Exist!
soon they'll discover the Parallel YOUniversity! and the world will be
saved!
http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedirect.html?newsID=7294&m=5435
UP!

and other great news???......................->

The Empire Is Over
"No one woke up one morning in 507 A.D. and said,
'Gee, I'm in the Dark Ages.'"
by Charley Reese
The American government has come to resemble the characters in The
Wizard of Oz.  We have the Cowardly Congress, a president without a
brain, and a foreign-policy establishment without a heart.

Our politicians are still trying to play the empire game long after the
age of empires has ended.  Blinded by arrogance, they can't see that
with every passing day, the world needs Amerika less and less and hates
Amerika more and more.  We are passing through that phase when the
grandeur of the empire exists only in the minds of politicians who have
insulated themselves from reality.

A friend of mine, a classical scholar, sometimes tells his students, "No
one woke up one morning in 476 A.D. and said, 'Gee, I'm in the Dark
Ages.'"  The transition from the heyday of Roman power to a stage of
barbarism was a gradual process.  We are in a process of change.  No one
is going to announce on TV that the U.S. is no longer a superpower.
> > read that again.  cos u read it every week in the UP!

Nevertheless, the signs are there if you look for them.  A nation that
was able to help crush the Axis powers in three and a half years hasn't
won a war since then.  We have had 4 years of struggling with an
insurgency in a small, poor and broken country.  Our economy is shaky
under mountains of debt.  Half of our people make less than 42,000
inflated dollars a year.  [£20,000?]

Where we were once the arsenal of democracy, today there is hardly a
major weapons system that doesn't rely on imports of one kind or
another.  Much of the industry that is left is foreign-owned.  Japan,
which once lay prostrate, dominates the American car market.  It's
extremely difficult to find anything today that is not made in China or
some other cheap-labor country.

In the meantime, the cowardly Congress doesn't have the guts to tackle
any of the major problems confronting the American people.  Our
president continues to embarrass us practically every time he opens his
mouth in public.  The foreign-policy establishment is riddled with aging
draft dodgers agitating for more wars -- against small countries, of
course.

True, we still have lots of nuclear weapons, but do you think any
American president would want to get into a nuclear shooting match with
China or Russia?  Look at how we reacted to two airplanes crashing into
two office buildings.  What do you think we would do if San Diego, Los
Angeles and San Francisco became radioactive ruins with millions of
casualties?  We are not prepared mentally, spiritually or materially to
deal with a nuclear war.

We are like all empires in their final stages.  We have grown soft.  We
like our comforts.  We don't wish to be inconvenienced.  We like poor
Mexicans to do our stoop work and poor Americans to do our fighting,
provided they do it far away so we won't be disturbed by explosions and
screams.  We enjoy our decadence, and there are always people in the
media who can rationalise anything, no matter how sick and revolting it is.

As for trying to understand the world, we are just too busy being amused
and following the adventures of Britney Spears and other celebrities. We
like to let the TV and the politicians do our thinking for us.  It saves
energy.  They tell us whom to hate.

The only way to avoid a bad end is to find some realists and put them in
public office.  We need a brave Congress, not a pack of cowards.  We
desperately need a president with a brain.  We need to retire the
warmongers in the foreign-policy establishment.  Otherwise, we will join
the other third-rate countries, once empires, on history's discard pile.
[Charley Reese has been a journalist for 49 years.]
<http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18479.htm>
up! *__*

*__*
**
**The Ongoing Economic Crash:
6 minute Lesson on Youtube
"The Dow Jones index, which  has hovered around 2000 points for most of
its history
from the 19th century until the late '80s,
is now at 11 - 12000, it's got to come back to its long term historical
average
which means a very big crash indeed."
Martin Summers is the Former East European projects officer for the New
Economics Foundation.
Unless you've been praying for the collapse of the Capitalist System
it's not good news.
h <http://documentally.blogspot.com/>
<http://documentally.blogspot.com/>ttp://documentally.blogspot.com/
<http://documentally.blogspot.com/>
**
** <http://documentally.blogspot.com/>up!

BUT DON'T WORRY, GREENSPAN'S NOT WORRIED????
Chance of Recession "Less than 50/50"
Says Greenspan!
The probability of a recession in the United States has increased but is
still less than 50/50, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan
said in comments broadcast on Friday.

He expects consumer spending to slow as the housing market slowdown
"significantly" reduces the 'wealth effect,' but is still not convinced
that will lead the world's largest economy to contract.
> > well, that's all right then.
up!

Staged Cyber Attack Reveals
Vulnerability in Power Grid
CNN, Sept. 26, 2007
Researchers who launched an experimental cyber attack on an electrical
power plant caused a generator to self-destruct, alarming the federal
government and electrical industry about what might happen if such an
attack were carried out on a larger scale.

Economist Scott Borg projects that if a third of the country lost power
for 3 months, the economic price tag would be $700 billion.
up!

and other great news???......................->

San Francisco Awards Michael Bowen
Michael Bowen, the legendary Beat painter and co-creator of the Human
Be-In during the Hippy Era, has been awarded a Certificate of Honour by
the mayor of San Francisco for his "involvement with the Summer of Love"
and for his "charitable efforts and spirit".

> > What more proof is needed that the world IS evolving?!  And good old
San Francisco is leading the way - again!
Now roll on our UN pensions for Services to the Planet :)  Am smiling,
but am not joking :)
UP!

   Kid's a Zen Master
Hermione, when asked her name, would reply, "I'm Mr. Dawkins'
daughter."
Her mother told her this was wrong, she must say, "I'm Jane
Dawkins."
The Vicar spoke to her in Sunday School, and said, "Aren't you Mr.
Dawkins' daughter?"
She replied, "I thought I was, but mother says I'm not."
UP!

Philosophers Are Ad-Men
[from The Fugitive Philosopher, a Tim Leary taster for a new generation,
from Ronin Press]
I asked Marshal McLuhan for advice on how we could dispel the fear
surrounding psychedelic drugs.  Instead of the horrors described in the
media, psychedelics should be associated with beauty, glamour, sexuality
- and personal freedom.

In 'Flashbacks', my "official" autobiography, I explained how McLuhan's
insight had a profound impact on how I presented myself after that.
Battles in courtrooms are not going to win much ground, he explained.
"Tim, you call yourself a philosopher, a reformer.  FIne.  But the key
to your work is advertising.  To dispel fear you must use your public
image.  You are the basic product endorser.  Whenever you are
photographed, smile.  Wave reassuringly.  Radiate courage.  Never
complain or appear angry.  It's okay to come across as flamboyant and
eccentric.  You're a professor, after all.  But a confident attitude is
the best advertising.  Become known for your smile."

I resolved to become a living advertisement for the joy, happiness and
wisdom that LSD could bring.  I would always smile and never frown or
look the victim.  Even when handcuffed and surrounded by police, I would
smile.  And I did. I became an ad-man.
UP!

**
london
MON OCT  8        NOT ONE MORE DEATH - BRING ALL THE TROOPS HOME NOW
T h e  d e m o   t h e  g o v e r n m e n t  i s  t r y i n g  t o  b a n !
1.0 PM - ASSEMBLE FOR RALLY @ TRAFALGAR SQUARE.
Speakers include:  TONY BENN   MARK STEEL, comedian and writer  BEN
GRIFFIN,
ex-soldier who served in Iraq  BOB WAREING MP   GEMMA TUMELTY,
president, National Union of Students
LINDSEY GERMAN, national conveyor, Stop the War   BILLY HAYES general
secretary, Communication Worker
After a series of relatively co-operative meetings, the police now say
they have been instructed not to allow the march and that all
demonstrations are banned within a mile of Parliament whilst in session.
This is a new development which threatens our democratic rights.

We are determined to march to make our views known to parliament on 8 October, when Gordon Brown will make his long awaited statement on Iraq.  We urge everyone who opposes the war policies of our government to join the call for all British troops to come home immediately and to help defend our civil liberties now under attack.
http://www.stopwar.org.uk/
UP!

*Republican Presidential Contender
Calls for End to 'War on Drugs'*
Congressman Ron Paul called for an end to the Drug War and a repeal of
"most" Federal drug laws last night during the PBS Republican
Presidential Debates.

"We have already spent over $400 billion since the early 70s and it's
wasted money.  Prohibition didn't work; prohibition on drugs doesn't work."

"We don't have to have more courts and more prisons, we have to repeal
the whole 'War on Drugs' - it isn't working," Paul concluded.
UP!

*__*
*__*
Kid's a Zen Master
Lizzy accompanies her father. to the barber shop.
As she stands next to the chair while her dad gets his hair cut,
eating a cake, the barber says to her, "Sweetheart, you're gonna
get hair on your muffin."
"Yes, I know, and I'm gonna get boobs too."
UP!

*\)**)**)**)**)**(**/** *
*___,,,,**_{**ô**¿**ô**}_,,,,_*fraser
remember alzheimers
remember i reported my discovery that neither i nor any of my
alternative friends seemed to know anyone with
Alzheimer's?  and i wondered if it was something to do with whether
you'd stretched, expanded & minimised, and otherwise flipped, stretched
and surprised your brain as nature planned for us to do?  maybe, i
mused, if you hadn't done that, if you'd stuck to a given stock of
beliefs and behaviours, then, like any muscle, your brain would decline?

well, along comes science a year later and still probably a decade
behind...  (when reading this, bear in mind that if i make love to a
beautiful X and you measure my body afterwards you'll only discover that
my body has lost calcium and various other properties.  this pipette's
perception of lovemaking is like Science's perception of Reality.... )

British Journal of Pharmacology:-
"Alzheimer's disease is an age-related neurodegenerative condition
associated with cognitive decline.
> > decline because not expanding?

The pathological hallmarks of the disease are the deposition of
b-amyloid protein and hyperphosphorylation of tau, which evoke neuronal
cell death and impair inter-neuronal communication.
> > see?  stuff is collecting in the corners of the tubes, which is quite
possibly due to NO THINKING GOING ON.

In recent years the proclivity of cannabinoids to exert a
neuroprotective influence has received substantial interest as a means
to mitigate the symptoms of neurodegenerative conditions.  In brains
obtained from Alzheimer's patients alterations in components of the
cannabinoid system have been reported, suggesting that the cannabinoid
system either contributes to, or is altered by, the pathophysiology of
the disease.  Certain cannabinoids can protect neurons from the
deleterious effects of b-amyloid and are capable of reducing tau
phosphorylation.  The propensity of cannabinoids to reduce
b-amyloid-evoked oxidative stress and neurodegeneration, whilst
stimulating neurotrophin expression neurogenesis, are interesting
properties that may be beneficial in the treatment of Alzheimer's
disease.  Targeting cannabinoid receptors on microglia may reduce the
neuroinflammation that is a feature of Alzheimer's disease, without
causing psychoactive effects.

Thus, cannabinoids offer a multi-faceted approach for the treatment of
Alzheimer's disease by providing neuroprotection and reducing
neuroinflammation, whilst simultaneously supporting the brain's
intrinsic repair mechanisms
> >meaning it's made to withstand an occasional good bashing.

by augmenting neurotrophin expression and enhancing neurogenesis."
UP!

*"AIDS Diagnosis Based on Pseudo Science?"*
*http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2007/09/20/aids_diagnosis_based_on_pseudo_science.htm*
**
UP!

CHINA:
Many Biofuels Have More Climate Impact Than Oil
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/44555/story.htm
UP!

CHINA:
Taiwan to Boost Windpower by More Than 5-Fold
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/44565/story.htm
UP!
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
***T**E**X**T **J**O**C**K**E**Y //**TJ PHRASER (**Fraser Clark**) & THE
**MEDIA EVOLUTION*
***MIXING THE **TRACTS** LIVE ON THE **KEYBOARD*
***@ A MEDIA-MEME RATE OF **160 IPP * * **Ideas Per Paragraph*
***_TO SUBSCRIBE SOMEONE_**, WRITE I wanna get UP! TO
**fraser at parallel-youniversity.com*
***TO UNSUBSCRIBE**, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX*
***(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*

*\)**)**)**)**)**(**/** *
*___,,,,**_{**ô**¿**ô**}_,,,,_*fraser
the UP!s and DOWNERs of this summer's waveform festival

the UP!s
i had a fine time at the first WaveForm Festival last weekend.  first,
the site was rather beautiful, gathered round a well-tended castle, and
just a heras fence away from the wash of the River Exe - 2 miles to the
actual sea and some great beaches.  weather - bearable, very cold at night.

second, the general vibe was excellent, i'm almost tempted to describe
it as "like the good old days" of early rave culture (which has since
come to dominate, huh?).   a lot of it came from the local people
themselves, the West Country Alternative Family, always more open and
friendly than closer to London where there would have been more "cooler
than thou" going on.

third, everyone i spoke to agreed that it was a good vibe and a good
festival.

the DOWNERs
on the downside there was no sauna.  and there are so many good ones around.

NOTE:  jaunty was just about the ONLY official dog on the premises.  it
was very sad.  20 people a day asked if they could stroke him cos they
were really missing their dog.  they were also, at first, jealous and
paranoid about why their dog wasn't allowed.  i ended up telling people
to see the positive side:  "one dog got through the net.  let's make it
3 next year, ok?"  after many such discussions it seems as if what's
needed is a training/testing site where licences are awarded that could
be accepted by all festivals.  and you can lose it.  anybody ready to
help this happen?  cos one thing is for sure:  Festival is about
Community.  and i can't imagine a community without the family dog.
period.

the only other overall downside i'm in a position to know is that it was
laid out in what i suppose has to be called the Rave Festival Model
which i don't actually like.  that is, a huge empty area in the middle,
with villages coming off the circumference.  myself, in all my clubs i
always strove to create arab medina conditions in which people were
helped to get 'lost'.  it's a very important experience which we've
mostly lost in this world swamped with the 'known'.  the RF model smacks
of Rock / Corporate Bizness.  it may be more efficient for emergency
vehicles but don't we go to festivals to get away from that?

speaking of which, i calculated that this festi must have cost £150,000
to mount, waaaay beyond my days in clubland, and clearly necessitating
backers - which must affect the situation.  but these huge festivals are
clearly here to stay.  we won the battle to keep festivals going and now
the Big Money is moving in.  well, i am not here to complain about that,
it would be like complaining about the rain i spose.  except that
everything must now change, and quickly - even the rain!

the BIG UP!s
that, of course, was the subject of my talk on the early saturday
evening, 'The Hippies Were Right, And Now It's Almost Too Late'.  it was
well received, indeed nobody really needed much persuasion, it's all
lookin' so fookin' obvious now!  indeed, during this festival, i noticed
something that i think is critically important.  not only are more and
more people in all walks of life waking up the fact that the Hippies
were right and that we have to seize back our power from those who've
been lying to us ever since, but the movement's ALREADY IN FULL SWING.
the Festival Scene has exploded in the last few years from an occasional
festi on some weekends to SEVERAL EVERY weekend!  and growing
exponentially.

and what is this 'new' 'scene'?  who are they?  what's their shared
ethos?  down there i grokked with blinding certainty that it's THE
HIPPIES AGAIN!  the scene i was watching was THE HIPPY SPIRIT HERE
AGAIN!  IT WAS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT FROM THE HIPPIES (except, of
course, the technology)  even the clothes styles were nearly identical!

what made me 'see' this was preceded by a lesser but totally crucial
perception.  i was standing in Chai Wallah's marquee on the friday night
when i suddenly noticed the surging interblending of the class system
that was happening around me.  an 'aristocratic' daughter whose
body-armouring almost prevented her from feeeeling the beat shaking it
up with a deep working class squatter-activist 'hero' in dreadlocks, a
lower middle class prophet swapping tales with an Oxbridge intellectual
Punk-style world traveler.  everyone sensed this exploding Movement
going on (why else were they there?!) and wanted to be a part of it.
here, in this 'new' culture, it's far less about what social class u r
coming from and far more about how "hip" you are.  who's more traveled,
taken the right drugs or can locate them, is into being conscious of
hirself, knows most about the state of the planet.  these judgments are
waaaay more important now than anything else.

i talked about this in my speech the next evening, and during the
saturday.  and it was clear that NOBODY really disagreed with any of
this.  the only question is whether it's a permanent Change or if the
upper classes, say, are doing a cuppla kinda 'gap years' after which
they'll be pulled back into their previous conditioning.  now some of
them may think that's what they're doing but THE ANSWER IS IT'S A
PERMANENT CHANGE THIS TIME!  COS IF IT AIN'T PERMANENT THE PLANET IS
DOOMED.  cos these are precisely the kinda fundamental breakdowns in the
Old Dinosaur Civilisation that MUST happen if the planet and this
species is to re-achieve harmony and advance into the Future.  if you're
more cynical, as some of my friends are, the old social class system is
disappearing anyway cos, if this Change is not permanent, the elites
will be left marooned on some castle on a hill arguing who's king of
their island!

the guys who put on the WaveForm Festival lost money.  all my experience
in clubland tells me that, out of 4000 people there, nearly half were on
someone or other's guest list.  that's the way these things work and it
certainly would have given the impression to most attendees that it was
'successful'.  it WAS successful and, viewed as an investment, i'd say
that WaveForm is now established as a high quality mini-Glastonbury of
the West Country which will be around for decades to come, if not forever.

and the BIG DOWNERs
i agreed to give my talk for no fee.  my only demands were that i get my
dog jaunty in (no small demand these days i can tell you!), and that i
be reimbursed my travel expenses - £60 to drive down from london.
otherwise i was happy to give my efforts for free.

but i have so far received nothing.  and most of the promised
arrangements failed to happen for whatever reason:  the title of my talk
was wrong on the flyer:  'The Hippies Were Right And Now It's Too Late'
completely  changed the meaning and would have put ME off going :)
there was almost no activity in the Talks Tent for the first 2 days and
i was unable to have more than 3 minutes kwik chat with the organiser
who then disappeared and never showed up again.  others speakers have
since written to me confirming this impression.  and when it came to the
last day the organiser was nowhere in sight and there was a queue of
people lined up to ask for their payments.

all i want is my expenses.  of course the organisers lost money but, on
the scale they are operating, they should regard this as a worthy
investment which will be more than repaid in the years to come.  i am
now starting to hear some very unhappy rumours, and my advice (as
someone who faced losses MANY times in my career) is that they should
reimburse people who actually _CONTRIBUTED hard cash_ (expenses) and
offer IOUs for unpaid wages, to be made good if and when a profit is
reached next summer.  their efforts so far are worth this extra yard,
and its absence could undermine their whole reputation (and hence
financial validity) for the future.  i know i'll be there - if my
contribution is honoured.

== LATEST NEWS:  i have now received a cheque for the full amount.  BUT
it's from a lower management level, it's post-dated, and it's drawn on
her  personal account.  she says: "i work for a charity so have a low
income which is why i have to budget this in my next month's pay."  she
says if the WaveForm Festival pays her  for her  work she'll bring the
date forward.  BUT I CAN'T ACCEPT, CAN I?!  THEY MIGHT NOT PAY HER!!
WATCH THIS SPACE!! ==
UP!

*)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o*
***the** **UP!** is a global edutainment round-up, broadcast weekly to
**=[13,035]=*
***Alternative// Activist// Zippy// Trance// New Age// Peace folks*
***recommended to the **Parallel YOUniversity**// Megatripolis Dance
Dept **as*
* **/"showing signs of life"./**  **Since recipients forward it widely
to their own lists & sites*
*we conservatively estimate **_50,000+ _**direct recipients.*
*A further 40,000 read it on the YOUniversity's site.*
*And, because of its 'mix' of 'specialist' & 'general' content,*
*   it's increasingly being posted on a variety of sites worldwide,*
*making an estimated total weekly readership of **_=[275,000]=_*
***)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o***

   Kid's a Zen Master
Conan was doing his math homework.  He said to himself, "Two plus
five, that son of a bitch is seven. Three plus six, that son of a bitch is
nine...."
His mother heard and gasped, "What are you doing?"
"I'm doing my math homework, Mum."
"And this is how your teacher taught you to do it?" the mother asked.
"Yes," he answered.
Infuriated, the mother asked the teacher the next day, "What are you
teaching my son in math?"
The teacher replied, "Right now, we are learning addition."
The mother asked, "And are you teaching them to say two plus two,
that son of a bitch is four?"
After the teacher stopped laughing, she answered,
"What I taught them was, two plus two, THE SUM OF WHICH, is four."
UP!

WHY THE QUAKERS STOPPED QUAKING//FEEDBACK

Hi Fraser,
As a Quaker recipient of your parallel-youniversity e-mails, I felt I
must comment on this one.  I don't agree with you that the Quakers
stopped quaking.  I have quaked in Quaker meetings and I have often seen
others do likewise.  No, it's not a dramatic, rolling on the floor,
foaming at the mouth type experience, (I don't think it ever was) like I
believe goes on in some charismatic and pentecostal groups, but I can
assure you a gentle trembling which we call "quaking" does occur on
occasions.  I reckon the stuff you publish here about Quakers is
otherwise more or less correct.

I know little about Shakers, but I understand they died out because they
didn't believe in practising sexual reproduction - a bizarre puritanical
taboo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakers  I mean if we all stopped
fucking the human race would die out and what was left of life would be
so boring :-)

Here's to sex - long may it continue to give us pleasure.

Blessings
Noel, London.
up!

Fraser,
Great publicity for National Quaker Week!

The term was originally given as an insult by a judge in about 1660.
i wonder where the word raver first came in?  i mean in today's era?
unamazed if we source it to some judge eh?

I think Quaking in the spirit is still present 'when you are called' to
minister in Meeting and the fire burns within you.
See also

Best wishes,
William Waddilove
www.quaker.org.uk/sing
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Documents/UP%21/www.quaker.org.uk/sing>
www.1624country.org.uk
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Documents/UP%21/www.1624country.org.uk>
> > glad to help out, william :)
important question:  when are the quakers going to re-embrace quaking?
the very first line currently on your site says this: "Quakers worship
in stillness," (u can rave in stillness believe me!)
i could help out when u r ready for your re-launch :)
thanks for writing.
UP!

Hi Fraser,
I've been reading your newsletter (is that what we should call it?)
> > zine?  the UP!?

for a couple of years now.  Through it, I've been following what
'similar-minded people' are saying about a plethora of issues, from
saving our planet to legalising our beloved wacky 'baccy.

There's one subject that I consistently find myself at issue with: your
treatment of Israel.  Yes -- I know that it's tremendously trendy
> > believe me it's got nothing to do with trendiness.  i HATE doing it
(for obvious reasons, your letter being only a SLIGHT reaction:)  but,
simply put, i could not LIVE with myself if i did not stand up and
protest loudly at what the israelis have doing for 2 generations now.

to portray Israel as some kind of fascist state where Arabs are
arbitrarily rounded up and thrown into jail,
> > grains of truth in that but i don't actually cover such stuff much if
at all.

but that simply ain't the truth.  It's a lovely place to live, despite
overcrowding and ever-encroaching pollution (does that sound
familiar?).  Maybe some of the hundreds of Rainbow brothers and sisters
who've passed through Israel in the past 15 years can vouch for that.
> > this actually makes me MORE determined to help the poor Pals.  if you
were having HALF as bad a time as them i would be LESS offended :)

I've been living in Israel for 32 years now, and think I'm slightly more
familiar with the realities than some of the writers you quote.

For example, in a recent issue you quoted a certain Charley Reese who
writes that "Israel isn't a nice country."  I wonder if he's ever been here.
> > i took him to mean that, overall, considering that most israelis are,
as u say, having a fun old time, israel's longterm actions (and i've
almost concluded PLAN) is NOT at all nice.  and, as a psychologist, i
would  predict that there must be some real bad psychological stuff
going on beneath the surface.

He also writes: "Palestinian citizens of Israel live under an arbitrary
and brutal police state."  Funny -- I've just come back from grocery
shopping in the centre of the small town (Pardess Hana) where I live.
My little boy was happily playing with an Arab girl from a nearby
village, whose parents were also out shopping, like normal people do in
normal countries.  Don't believe the propaganda!
> > u are openminded, sure.  but u surely don't equate your life with
theirs do you?

Here's another one: "One of the myths created by the Israeli lobby is
that Jews around the world are unanimous in their support of Israel,
regardless of what it does.  That's not true and never has been true."
Of course he's right about it never being true -- but he's completely
off the mark when saying that the 'Israeli lobby' has created the
opposite myth.  Every Jew -- and certainly every Israeli -- knows that
we are not all of the same opinion.  There's a saying here that if you
take 10 Israelis, you'll get 11 opinions.  That's what happens when you
live in a society with a free, biting press and plenty of opportunity to
develop and voice your own opinion -- unlike in neighbouring countries......
> > lobbies always do this actually.  since the israel lobby is MUCH
huger and committed and funded it stands to reason, on logical ground
alone, that it will create such a myth and you'll have to work much
harder to hear the other side.  which turns out to be the case.  and
even when a jew DOES stand up and speak the truth as he sees it he gets
a terrible terrible beating for it - witness finkelstein.

So please continue the wonderful work you're doing, Fraser, but please
don't fall into the 'good guys v. bad guys' trap that so many of us
hairy-fairies do.  It ain't that simple and no-one (including you and
me) is perfect.
> > and thanks for calling me to task.  i think jews, like all other
peoples, are a good lot.  i've had more than my fair share of friends
from among them, but i separate them from the really creepy campaign
behind them which they often don't see or feel obliged to support
publicly (for totally understandable historical reasons but they seem to
be squandering their good karma at an alarming rate.)  and i HAVE fallen
out with a few of them who refuse to stop churning out the company
line.  i mean, daniel, how can i sip a civilised coffee with a mate in a
cafe when he's secretly conspiring to instigate an invasion of iran, for
example.  and believe me there's a well funded campaign to demonise
muslims and bring this about.  as a western liberal, for want of a
better word, i cannot sit idly by.  i refuse to.

Peace and love,
Daniel Ben-Tal. Israel.
UP!
*all g o o d t h i n g s c o m **e t o a n e n d*
*which don't justify nuttin'*
*U U U U U U U U U U U U UP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
! !*
***YOUR PLANET NEEDS //YOU! This **HipList** grows purely by
recommendation.*
***SO RECOMMEND SOMEONE 2DAY!!!!!!!!!!*
***YES, YES, SEND US EDUTAINING NEWS'N VIEWS no need to ask! :-)*
*FOR MORE FRASER ON RAVE CULTURE & THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT,
VISIT*
*_WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM/fraser_*
***TO UNSUBSCRIBE**, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX*
* **U U U U U U U U U U U U** **UP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !