[pagan-magik] {Disarmed} UP! 263// The Coming of Deindustrial Society// 10 09 07

fraser at parallel-youniversity.com fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
Mon Sep 10 03:34:14 BST 2007

*TURN ON** COMPUTER // TUNE IN TO FUNLEASHED SPIRIT OF INTERNET // TAKE
OVER!*
[DESIGNED, AND BEST READ, AS A FULL PAGE SPREAD]

I love reading the UP! zine!!!
it keeps me feeling there is a real world out there somewhere,
love and light for you allways,
be in blisss love and light,
pippy, byron bay, ozland.
UP!

The Hippies Were Right!
1966:
In a few years we'll be 2 species, Leary declared.  One was the
anthill.  "It's run like a beehive with queens - or kings - and it'll
all be television ... and sexuality will become very promiscuous and
almost impersonal.  Because in an anthill it always turns out that way.
But you're gonna have another species who inevitably will survive, and
that will be the tribal people, who won't have to worry about leisure
because when you drop out then the real play-work begins.  Because then
you have to, as Gary says, learn how to take care of yourself."
<http://sunrisedancer.com/radicalreader/library/stormingheaven/stormingheaven24.asp#_edn35#_edn35>

But Snyder disagreed, this time laughingly.  Mankind wasn't splitting
into two species; it was becoming one.  "The children of the ants are
all going to be tribal people," he said.  "That's why it's going to
work.  We're going to get the kids, and it's going to take about 3
generations."
<http://sunrisedancer.com/radicalreader/library/stormingheaven/stormingheaven24.asp#_edn36#_edn36>

The psychedelic movement was merely accelerating a change that was
already under way, he maintained.  You saw it in automation and
cybernation, in the advent of the affluent leisure society, in the
widespread interest in spirituality and the contemplative technologies
of the Orient.  People were going to simplify their lives, predicted
Snyder.  The consumer society was going to fade away.  And when that
happened all the energy that had gone into acquiring things would be
redirected.  Instead of playing with his adult toys, the new man would
play with his mind, with states of consciousness, levels of sensitivity.
> > shamanic culture.  look around.

What a vision!  An evolution not a revolution.  3 generations.  And it
was all starting now.  Or at least this was the crucial moment, the
pivot upon which the fate of the smart monkey hinged, forward to
paradise, backward to the nuclear abyss.  That's the way it felt.  A
mixture of exhilaration and exhaustion.  Could they pull it off?
> > 3 generations from 1966 leaves us at least a decade to finish the job.
UP!

*\)**)**)**)**)**(**/*
*_____,,,,**_{**ô**¿**ô**}_,,,,_*fraser_
u onto _nu-rave_ yet?
rave culture over?gimme a break it's hardly STARTED in the US, it's
still ACCELERATING on a global level with more new ravers daily than
ever b4, and NOW it's hitting it's _2nd breath_ in london spread the
word sez fraser :)
*
listen to /'It's A Rave Dave'/ and feeeeel the rush of Change :)*
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NLuLNfDZs&mode=related&search=
<http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NLuLNfDZs&mode=related&search=>
UP!

*SEPT 14-16    *Powderham Castle, Devon, UK.
*The WaveForm Festival*
**A 72 hour audio-visual & even metaphysical Trippe amidst the
ancient oaks and ponds of the castle grounds on the banks of the River Exe!

LATE NEWS!  SAT: 6.30pm -  Green Village / Workshops/Talks Tent:-
'The Hippies Were Right.  And Now It's Almost Too Late" --  Talk by Fraser.
For the special subscribers price:
http://www.onlinestall.com/cgi-bin/stall2.pl?act=ip&id=1144&h=Y
<http://www.onlinestall.com/cgi-bin/stall2.pl?act=ip&id=1144&h=Y>
UP!

NOW ONLINE!
The Alternative Club Promoters
Symposium
@ synergy
www.gunghomedia.co.uk/symposium <http://www.gunghomedia.co.uk/symposium>
*listen, love, argue & laugh with the creators
of your favourite clubs at this historic event in London*
Dominic Schnell (Liquid Spiral & Synergy), Fraser Clark (Megatripolis &
The Warp Experience),
Goodjeff Laster (Parallel YOUniversity & Synergy), Giani Fabricio
(Synergy),
Jeff Dexter (Round House and UFO), Mark Heley (ToonTown & Waveform),
Mary Xmas (Whirl y Gig), Steve Peake (EcoTrip & Synergy Centre)

FOR FULL DOCUMENTARY ON THE SYNERGY PARTY ITSELF :
http://www.gunghomedia.co.uk/documentaries/synergyproject.html
**UP! PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES FROM THE WASHING MACHINE WHEN THE
LIGHT GOES OUT

*\)**)**)**)**)**(**/*
*_____,,,,**_{**ô**¿**ô**}_,,,,__fraser_*
*__*
"In a galaxy filled with a billion stars (and counting!) in a universe
filled with a hundred billion galaxies (at which point our computer
froze) the even money chance is that we are half way up the evolutionary
stakes.  Which certainly means we're a reality tv show for a couple of
thousand different species."
UP! BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS

King Canute Rules The Waves NOT!
China Insists Reincarnaters Need License
Dalai Lama says he won't reincarnate in Tibet!
> > and i say check out the Reicarnation Refuseniks on the Death Planet
(outside at nowhere) in megatripolis at forever, my new sci-fi-rave hip hopera
launching on youtube next month :)
In one of history's most absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has
banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government
permission.  According to a statement issued by the State Administration
for Religious Affairs, the new law, effective from October, strictly
stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate:  "This is an
important move to institutionalise management of reincarnation."
[Newsweek]
UP! WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT
BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN

*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
*Get UP!  /Stand Up For Your Rights! /**/(and everybody else's too of
course! :)/*
*/u can't understand the world without innerstanding yourself/*
*UP! **263  09  09  07*
/---- LA- LA- LA- LAP-TOPPLING DA SYSTEM! ----/
*/u cant innerstand yourself without understanding the world/*
*  Get UP!  /And Don't Give Up The Fight! /**/(only we don't mean
violence, ok? :)/*
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
FEATURING /exclusive re-writes & re-mixes of da freshest deepest hacks
ancient & modern ,and/
/SAMPLES// from media & mentalities all over, & all bubbling //up!
//from da public DNA Herself!/
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)((\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
*

*
*

*_contents_***
****/[just click down screens to get there.  u r on screen 6 :] /
screen 07  The Coming of Deindustrial Society
screen 13  The Absolute CRASH of 2007?
screen 15  Organic Agriculture CAN Feed the World - and MORE say scientists.
screen 17  The Drugs Don't Work by Kate Magic screen 19  Forecast for
Solar Power: Sunny
screen 21  *The *HIV/AID$.*Scam*
screen 22  Scientology Faces Criminal Charges - and fraser agrees.
screen 23  Conclusive Proof That Life Began In Space

*UP!s BADDEST T-SHIRT OF THE WEEK*
**There Is No Enemy
HUMANE
BEING
Weapons of Mass Destruction (showing the human brain)
(ALL SENT IN by Lloyd who has 3 sizes/colours available
and will post them anywhere in UK for £5 - plus postage elsewhere)
lloyd23 at madasafish.com
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Documents/UP%21/lloyd23@madasafish.com>
UP!

The Coming of
Deindustrial Society
by John Michael Greer
More than 30 years ago, the Club of Rome's epochal study The Limits to
Growth pointed out that unless something was done, a global economy
based on fantasies of perpetual growth would collide disastrously with
the hard limits of a finite planet sometime in the early twenty-first
century.

With the coming of Peak Oil, massive climate change, and the beginning
of long-term, irreversible declines in the availability of fossil fuels
(along with many other resources), modern industrial civilisation faces
a wrenching series of unwelcome transitions.  But all of this comes as a
surprise only for those who haven't been paying attention.

The early twenty-first century is here, nothing was done, and the
consequences are arriving on schedule.  The road that would have brought
industrial society through a transformation to sustainability turned out
to be the road not taken.  The question that remains is what we can do
with the limited time we have left.

The Failure of Politics
There are specific practical things that can be done, right now, to deal
with the hard realities of our situation.  The problem is that most of
them are counterintuitive, and fly in the face of very deeply rooted
attitudes on all sides of the political spectrum.

The first point to be grasped is that proposals for system-wide,
top-down change - getting governments to do something constructive about
the situation, for instance - are a waste of time.  It isn't going to
happen.  It's not simply a matter of who's currently in power, although
admittedly that doesn't help.  The core of the problem is that even
proposing changes on a scale that would do any good would be political
suicide.

Our society demands energy inputs on a scale, absolute and per capita,
that can't possibly be maintained for more than a little while longer.
Sustainable energy sources can only provide a small fraction of the
energy we're used to getting from fossil fuels and, as supplies dwindle
> > even if we loot the entire Arctic region as it looks like we will.

In other words, everybody will have to get used to living on a small
fraction of the energy we've been using as a matter of course.
> > even as Hippy predicted and tried to initiate on a mass level.

Of course this is an unpopular thing to say.  Some people are still
insisting that it's not true, that we can continue our present lavish,
energy-wasting lifestyle indefinitely by switching from oil to some
other energy source: hydrogen, biodiesel, abiotic oil, fusion power,
"free energy" technology, and so on down the list of technological snake
oil.  Crippling issues of scale, and the massive technical problems
involved in switching an oil-based civilisation to some other fuel in
time to make a difference, stand in the path of such projects, but those
get little air time.

The logic seems to be: if we want endless supplies of energy badly
enough, the universe will give it to us.  The problem is SHe did! - in
the form of immense deposits of fossil fuels stored up over hundreds of
millions of years of photosynthesis - and we wasted it.

Now we're like a lottery winner who's spent millions of dollars in a few
short years and is running out of money.  The odds of hitting another
million-dollar jackpot are tiny, and no amount of wishful thinking will
enable us to keep up our current lifestyle by getting a job at the local
hamburger joint.

People throughout the industrial world have to make the transition to a
Third World lifestyle.   There's no way to sugar-coat that very
unpalatable reality.  Fossil fuels supplied most people in the
industrial world with a lifestyle that doesn't depend on hard physical
labor, and to wallow in a flood of mostly unnecessary consumer goods and
services.  As fossil fuels deplete, all that will inevitably go away.
How many people would be willing to listen to such a suggestion?  More
to the point, how many people would vote for a political  party which
proposed to bring on these changes deliberately, now, in order to
prevent total disaster later on?

John Kenneth Galbraith's brilliant, mordant book, The Culture of
Contentment, explains why America particularly is incapable of
constructive change.  He compares today's American political class
(those people who vote and involve themselves in politics) to the French
aristocracy before the Revolution.  Everybody knew the situation was
insupportable, that an explosion was inevitable, but the immediate costs
of doing something about it were so unpalatable that everyone decided to
do nothing and hope that things would somehow work out.  We're in
exactly the same situation here and now.

So while it may be appealing to fantasise about vast government programs
bailing us out of the present predicament, such fantasies are not
practical.  We must start with the recognition that the most likely
outcome of the current situation is collapse: to borrow the Club of
Rome's formulation, "sustained, simultaneous, uncontrolled and
irreversible declines in population, industrial production, and capital
stock".

Apocalyptic Fantasies
Now as soon as this is said, most people who don't reject it out of hand
slip off at once into apocalyptic ideas of one sort or another.  These
should be rejected; history is a better guide.  Civilisations collapse.
As Joseph Tainter pointed out in his useful book The Collapse of Complex
Societies, it's one of the most predictable things about them.  Ours is
not that different from hundreds of previous civilisations that overshot
their natural resource base and crashed to ruin.  What we face is a
natural process, and like most natural processes, much of it can be
predicted by comparison with past situations.

But fantasy is often more palatable than reality, and most of the
apocalyptic notions in circulation these days are sheer fantasy.  The
idea, popular among Christians who don't read their Bibles carefully,
that they'll be raptured away to Heaven as the rest of the world goes to
Hell is a lightly disguised fantasy of mass suicide - and it also serves
as a way for people to kid themselves that God will rescue them from the
consequences of their own actions.  That's one of history's all time bad
bets, but it's always popular.

But the Hollywood notion of an overnight collapse is just as much of a
fantasy; it makes for great screenplays but has nothing to do with the
realities of how civilisations fall.  The disintegration of a complex
society takes decades, not days.  Since fossil fuel production and
weather stability will decline gradually, though in spurts, things won't
simply come to a screeching halt.  Civilisations go under in a rolling
collapse punctuated by localised disasters.  It's not a steady decline
either; between sudden crises come intervals of relative stability, even
moderate improvement; different regions decline at different paces;
existing social, economic and political structures are replaced, not
with complete chaos, but with transitional structures that may develop
pretty fair institutional strength themselves.

Does this model apply to the current situation?  Almost certainly.  As
oil and natural gas run short, and extreme weather events take their
toll, economies will come unglued and political systems disintegrate
under the strain.  But there's still oil to be had.  The world in 2020
may still be producing about as much oil as it was producing in 1980.
It's just that, with other fossil fuels gone or badly depleted, nearly
twice as many people in the world, and the global economy in shreds, the
gap between production and demand will be vast.  The result will be
poverty, spiraling shortages, rising death rates, plummeting birth
rates, and epidemic violence and warfare.  Not a pretty picture - but
it's not an instant reversion to the Stone Age either.

Equally imaginary is the notion that the best strategy for would-be
survivors is to hole up in some isolated rural area with enough
firepower to stock a Panzer division, and wait things out.  I can think
of no better proof that people nowadays pay no attention to history.
One of the more common phenomena of collapse is the breakdown of public
order in rural areas, and the rise of a brigand culture preying on rural
communities and travelers.  Isolated survivalist enclaves with
stockpiles of food and ammunition would be a tempting prize and could
count on being targeted.

Equally inaccurate is the notion that stockpiling precious metals will
somehow make the stockpilers exempt from the consequences of industrial
collapse.  This strategy has been tried over and over again in recorded
history, and it doesn't work.  Every few years, for example,
archaeologists in Britain dig up another cache of gold and silver hidden
away by some wealthy landowner in Roman Britain as the empire fell
apart.  They're usually close to the ruins of the owner's rural villa,
which shows the signs of being looted and burned to the ground by the
Saxons.  As a working rule, if your value consists of what you've
stockpiled, there will be an unlimited number of other people interested
in removing you from the stockpile and enjoying it themselves.

Communities of Survival
So what does work?  The key to making sense of constructive action in a
situation of impending industrial collapse is to look at the community,
rather than the individual or society as a whole, as the basic unit.  We
know from history that local communities can continue to flourish while
empires fall around them.  There are, however, three things a community
needs to do that, and all three of them are in short supply these days.

1.  First, a community needs some degree of local organisation.  Our
present culture has discarded most of the local organisations it once
had, in favour of a mass society where individuals deal directly with
huge government and corporate institutions.  This has to be reversed.
Joining
or creating a local community group, and helping to revive local civil
society, will help provide your community with voluntary networks of
cooperation and mutual aid in difficult times.

2.  The second thing a community needs in the twilight of industrial
society is a core of people who know how to do without fossil fuel
inputs.  An astonishing number of people, especially in the educated
middle class, have no practical skills whatsoever when it comes to
growing and preparing food, making clothing, and providing other basic
necessities.  An equally astonishing number are unable to go any
distance at all by any means that doesn't involve burning fossil fuels -
and almost no one in the developed world can light a fire without
matches or a lighter from some distant factory.  Survival skills such as
organic gardening, low-tech medicine, basic hand crafts need to be
learned and practised now, while there's time to do so.  Similarly,
those people who cut their fossil fuel consumption drastically now - for
example, by getting rid of their cars and using public transit or
bicycles for commuting - will be better prepared for the inevitable
shortages.

We live in a "prosthetic society" in which most people have totally
neglected their own innate abilities in favour of ersatz mechanical
imitations.  Even our schoolchildren use pocket calculators instead of
learning how to add and subtract.  All this has to be reversed as soon
as possible.  Those people who can use their own hands and minds to make
tools, grow food, brew beer, treat illnesses, generate modest amounts of
electricity from sun and wind, and the like, will have a survival
advantage over those who can't.  In a violent age, practical knowledge
is a life insurance policy; if you're more useful alive than dead,
you're likely to stay that way. The pirate enclaves of the
seventeenth-century Caribbean were among the most lawless societies in
history, but physicians, navigators, shipwrights, and other skilled
craftsmen were safe from the pervasive violence, since it was in
everyone's best interests to keep them alive.

3.  The third thing a community needs is access to basic human
requirements, and above all food.  Very large cities are going to become
difficult places to be in the course of the approaching collapse,
precisely because there isn't enough farmland within easy transport
range to feed the people now living there.  On the other hand, most
American cities of half a million or less are fairly close to
agricultural land that could, in a pinch, be used to grow food
intensively and feed the somewhat reduced population that's likely to be
left after the first stages of the collapse.  What's needed is the
framework of a production and distribution system around which this can
take shape.

The good news is that this framework already exists; it's called the
farmers market movement.  The last two decades have seen an astonishing
growth in farmers' markets across the country, with most of that money
going to small local farmers.  I personally know organic farmers who are
able to stay in business, and support their families on quite small
acreages, because they work the farmers markets.  Every dollar spent on
locally grown produce from a farmers market, instead of supermarket fare
shipped halfway around the world, is thus an investment in local
sustainability and survival.

There are a good many other, similar steps that can be taken:
Anything that provides functional alternatives to energy-wasting
lifestyles lays foundations for the transitional societies of the late
21st century, and ultimately for the sustainable successor cultures that
will begin to emerge in the 22nd and 23rd centuries.  The important
point, it seems to me, is to do something constructive now, rather than
presenting plans to the government in the perfect knowledge that they
will be ignored until it's far too late to do anything.

Perhaps a metaphor will make an appropriate finish for this little
essay.  Imagine that you're on an ocean liner that's headed straight for
a well marked shoal of rocks.  Half the crew is dead drunk, and the
other half has already responded to your attempts to alert them by
telling you that everything will be all right.  At a certain point, you
know, the ship will be so close to the rocks that its momentum will
carry it onto them no matter what evasive actions the helmsman tries to
make.  You're not sure, but it looks as though that point is already
well past.

What do you do?  You can keep on pounding on the door to the bridge,
trying to convince the crew of the approaching danger.  You can join the
prayer group down in the galley; they're convinced that if they pray
fervently enough, God will save them from shipwreck.  You can decide
that everyone's doomed and go get roaring drunk.  Or you can go around
quietly to the other passengers, and encourage those people who have
noticed the situation (or are willing to notice it) to break out the
life jackets, assemble near the lifeboats, take care of people who need
help, and otherwise deal with the approaching wreck in a way that will
salvage as much as possible.

Me, I suggest the latter.  Life jackets, anyone?
up!

Dear Fraser,
I will REPEAT what I have been saying for the last decade, get your land
on an island in the Mediterranean or the Scottish Highlands or anywhere
150 feet above rising sea level NOW while the loans last.  The crash
will wipe out the institutions that give the loans to the point where
the bailiffs will be out of a job...
Property with land in Crete for instance is available NOW at 20,000
pounds a hit, enough to keep you alive with chickens, dog, goats and
internet connection to your 100th birthday while the city populations
boil each other for dinner and it's open season as in gamekeeper turned
poacher for unpolitical and corporate pirates everywhere else.  Max
Headroom all over again or Neuromancer.  I am living at the edge of the
end of the Chinese boom here and can see consequences very clearly.
Also buy bicycles.  Bombproof transportation.
xx Charlotte the Prophet, China.
up!

The Absolute CRASH of 2007?
by Christopher Laird
I am amazed at the speed of the onset of the credit crisis.  I also had
a feeling last night, thinking about all this chaos, that it is rather
bizarre. Weird and eerie is another view.  There is no doubt that we
have seen real fear like never since 1929 in credit markets.  That
almost spread to equities, with some scary drops like 600 and 800 point
down days in the Hang Seng and the Nikkei.

Now, I would suggest that the US Working Group on Markets and the BOJ
market management teams both put serious floors under equities.  Many
times in the past 2 weeks we would see the Dow headed for a really bad
day, but all of a sudden a serious reversal.  I particularly remember
that day when the Dow was rapidly down 150 points, but made most of that
up in the last hour and ended down something like a few points.  You are
not going to tell me that the traders really did that one.  A floor was
put in.

Hey, the Working Group on Markets admit they seriously mitigate things.
They certainly have the horsepower and brains to pull it off.

The only trouble is, how many times can this work?  I think it is rather
clear that, now that mortgage derivatives have been scattered world
wide, and are being written down to 10 cents on the dollar, some more
anarchy MUST ensue.

We may have sort of weathered the first real test, but at great cost,
and likely many hidden losses out there.  We are not out of the woods
yet by any imagination.  The bad derivatives are about $2trillion worth
of subprime and Alt A (one level higher).  20% of these are in arrears.
Then we have the trouble spreading to even good mortgage derivatives, as
investors flee these regardless of quality.  That has caused jumbo loans
(exceeding 400k US) to become hard to get and at 9%! Good luck to the
high end real estate market.

Obviously, mortgages are not all going to lose 90% of their value, or
are they?

Maybe, if we have a real depression, and that is quite possible given
the scope of this credit crisis.  Maybe if we have a real depression
most mortgage derivatives will lose 90% value.  We are talking something
in the range of $10 trillion worth of new mortgages in the last 5 years
that are becoming a big weight around all the holders of the paper.

The commercial paper market (short term credit for companies like 30 -
90 days) is swapped between banks and companies and institutions to
cover short term funding needs.  The market in the US alone is
$2trillion.  $50 billion has to roll over each week.

Well, in the last two weeks, a backlog of $90 trillion has accumulated
and NOT rolled over.  This is the next set of dominoes to fall.  The EU
is having similar trouble, and one German banker said there is the
making of a serious German banking crisis because short term paper is
not rolling over.  So what does everyone do now?  The system is
collapsing right before our eyes.

If a company, bank, whoever, cannot roll over their short term paper,
they are insolvent.  This is a very big deal indeed.
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article1906.html
up!

IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHO RUNS THE WORLD AND HOW THE WHOLE MONEY SCAM
ACTUALLY WORKS U GOTTA WATCH THIS VIDEO...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279&q=%22money+as+debt%22&hl=en
<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279&q=%22money+as+debt%22&hl=en>
up!

Dear Frase, when the Greenland ice sheet finally goes - read the
Guardian article from this Saturday online - and it's already melting at
an increasing rate, it holds enough fresh water to raise ALL the oceans
of the world by an estimated 7 metres, that's SEVEN METRES.  Now, any
guesses how high above sea level London, New York, Tokyo, and all the
rest are?  Just imagine the tsunami from this amount of ice suddenly
releasing and falling into the sea.  After that, the sea level will have
inundated much of the useful agricultural land and also the land where
most live, the whole world civilisation will be [not may be, will be]
destroyed, those who aren't drowned will starve, and those who don't
starve will be the ones with guns and they will soon wipe each other
out.  There's a big shock coming, and it is going to be nasty, vicious
and scary.  And it looks ever more likely it will be sooner rather than
later.  I have to keep revising downwards; no longer by the end of the
century, no longer by the middle, it could even be in our lifetimes..
UP! FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE
ON THE 1ST FLOOR
*(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)
(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*
***T**E**X**T **J**O**C**K**E**Y //**TJ PHRASER (**Fraser Clark**) & THE
**MEDIA EVOLUTION*
***MIXING THE **TRACTS** LIVE ON THE **KEYBOARD*
***@ A MEDIA-MEME RATE OF **160 IPP * * **Ideas Per Paragraph*
***_TO SUBSCRIBE SOMEONE_**, WRITE I wanna get UP! TO
**fraser at parallel-youniversity.com*
***TO UNSUBSCRIBE**, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX*
***(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)*

Scientists Find Organic Agriculture

Can Feed the World & More

Scientists refute common misconceptions about organic agriculture
*ISIS* Press Release 06/09/07
The 2 usual objections levelled against the proposal that organic
agriculture can feed the world have been disproved!

Organic agriculture, opponents claim, gives low yields, and there isn't
enough organic fertilizer to boost yields substantially.

A team of scientists led by Catherine Badgley at the University of
Michgan Ann Arbor, however, has now refuted those common
misconceptions.  Organic agriculture gives yields roughly comparable to
conventional agriculture in developed countries and much higher yields
in developing countries; and more than enough nitrogen can be fixed in
the soil by using green manure alone.

The research team compared yields of organic and conventional
agriculture (including low-intensive food production) in 293 examples,
and estimated the average yield ratio (organic /versus/ non-organic) of
different food categories for the developed and the developing world.
With the average yield ratios, they modeled the global food supply that
could be grown organically in the current agricultural land base.  The
results indicate that organic methods could produce enough food to
sustain the current human population (potentially even more!) without
increasing the agricultural land base.

They also estimated the amount of nitrogen potentially available from
nitrogen fixation by legumes as cover crops.  Data from temperate and
tropical agro-ecosystems suggest that they could fix enough nitrogen to
replace /all/ of the synthetic fertilizer currently in use.

The report concluded: "These results indicate that organic agriculture
has the potential to contribute quite substantially to the global food
supply, while reducing the detrimental environmental impacts of
conventional agriculture."

Promises and Remaining Challenges
There are numerous other benefits of switching to organic agriculture
not mentioned in the paper that are documented in the Independent
Science Panel Report and elsewhere.

The largest gains from organic agriculture arise from the savings on the
damages to public health and the environment, estimated at more than US
$59.6 billion a year in the United States.

Another is the key issue of food security.  Findings from the Rodale
Institute also confirm that organic management retains more nutrients,
organic carbon and moisture in the soil, all of which make organic crops
more able to withstand climatic stress.  So it is not surprising that
while organic yields are comparable to conventional during normal years,
they are well ahead in drought years.

There are substantial savings on carbon emissions and fossil fuels to
mitigate climate change simply from phasing out pesticides and synthetic
fertilizers, not to mention the extra carbon sequestered in organic soils.

The study has not even considered all the existing options for renewable
energies or systems of farming that turns wastes into food and energy
resources, thereby potentially phasing out fossil fuels altogether.  Nor
does it mention the many social, economic, and health benefits from
organic agriculture.

The case for a global shift to organic agriculture has never appeared
more compelling and more urgent.
UP!

The Parallel YOUniversity does not necessarily agree with everything we
publish :)
The Drugs Don't Work
by Kate Magic
Ooh, heres a good taboo to deconstruct.
Better not talk about drugs or we might get arrested.
Better not mention the positive benefits of caning it or we might
encourage the youth to go out and get wasted, and we really don't want
to do that.
On the contrary, we think the youth are actually intelligent enough to
deserve the full picture about what drugs really do.  And if a lot of
the glamour and mystery behind illicit substances is removed they'll be
less likely to go out and party on Ritalin and horse tranquillisers.

I used to love shoving large amounts of drugs down my skinny frame.  I
used to love the places they took me.  What I didn't love was the places
they left me afterwards and the damage they did to my poor little body.

So I stopped, and for the sake of the parents I'm going to say this in
capital letters I DON'T ADVISE TAKING DRUGS AND I DON'T THINK IT IS ON
THE WHOLE A GOOD IDEA.

But neither is eating MacDeadalls and drinking Its all Ova Cola and
watching Morbidnation Street.  All these things have negative side
effects which are harmful to your body, mind and soul.  The
scientifically proven fact is that all the drugs which send you to
sleep, put you in your beta state, reduce you to slave mentality, are
all the ones that are legal in our culture -- tobacco, alcohol,
caffeine, tv.  And all the substances that expand your consciousness and
help you access your divine potential are illegal -- hash, LSD, ecstasy.

Clever, that.  So as soon as we are in those altered states of
awareness, we carry with us an implicit understanding that somehow what
we are doing is wrong and shouldn't be allowed.  Our subconscious
programming is that, although tripping might be fun and exciting, it is
immoral and not a positive path to pursue in life.  Whereas eating too
much junk food and watching 4 DVDs back to back on a Saturday night is
contributing more to a healthy society.  Duh?

The drug taboo is largely unaddressed because people are afraid of
coming forward and admitting to doing illegal things, but we're at this
really strange point culturally where everyone knows everyone does it,
but still no-one's fully lifted the lid off.  I really could count on
one hand the number of my friends who've never even got stoned.  Fuck
it, I actually can't think of any!

Taking drugs is no longer an act of cultural rebellion,
> > that's because the alternative paradigm is becoming the norm, the new
dominant culture.  and not a moment 2 soon.

so many teenagers now got taken to Glastonbury as kids, and have parents
who were E-heads or stoners or speed-freaks in their teens, its not this
throw-your-hands-up-in-horror
you'll-be-dead-on-the-floor-from-a-heroin-overdose-tomorrow kinda thing
any more.

So if drugs are still dangerous and illegal then why do we do it?  What
drives us to jeopardise our health and our safety in this way?   Because
the places they take you to are our natural state of being.  Strip away
all the layers of cultural conditioning, negative programming and
damaged DNA, and you are left with paradise consciousness, ecstatic
existence - where you are so tuned into the magic of the cosmos you feel
it bubbling through your cells in its multi-dimensional glory.  This is
how we are meant to be.  This is how we originally were, and that is the
purpose of being human on this planet - to rediscover that paradisaical
existence.  It's what we are all searching for.  Via drugs is one way to
get there, it's a pretty accessible way if you're growing up in a city
in the West at the turn of the 21st century, but it's not one of the
most effective, and it's one of the least sustainable.

People often think I'm on drugs.  In fact, people have started whole
threads on talkboards trying to work out what drugs I'm on.  But I
haven't taken anything illegal since 1991, honest guv.  I'm sorry to
spout cliches at you, but its true, we're high on life.  I'm so high,
drugs would probably bring me down these days.
> > a guy called eddie once handed me an e-tab when i was dancing at
megatripolis.  i swallowed it without thinking and it brought me down.
i'd been so naturally (puffy) high that it actually came in below that.

I hallucinate, I get visions, I hear voices, I can dance for hours
without getting tired.  Not all the time obviously because that would do
my head in.  But I've done enough work on myself to activate my
kundalini energy naturally, and when the time and setting are right, I
can slip into psychedelic consciousness effortlessly.

This is real magic: having the time of my life, and knowing that I am
simultaneously doing the ultimate service in furthering human
evolution.  This is the real reason we are here -- to get high.  Don't
let them make you believe otherwise.  Just try not to rely on drugs to
do it, that's all.
UP! AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN
ON THE DRAINING BOARD

New Theoretical Model of Time Machine Developed
Technion Israel Institute of Technology researchers have developed a
theoretical model of a time machine based on the principles of curvature
development in the theory of relativity.  It could possibly enable
future generations to travel into the past.

"The machine is spacetime itself," Prof. Amos Ori explains.  "Today, if
we were to create a time machine - an area with a warp like this in
space that would enable time lines to close on themselves - it might
enable future generations to return to visit our time.  We, apparently,
cannot return to previous ages because our predecessors did not create
this infrastructure for us."
[PhysOrg.com]
UP! WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT
BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?

Forecast for Solar Power: Sunny
USA Today
Within 3 years, say a few dozen companies, advances in technology will
let them halve the price of solar-panel installations.

And by 2014, says Deutsche Bank, solar-system prices will be competitive
with conventional electricity when energy savings are figured in.

Venture-capital firms, says  presearch firm Clean Edge, pumped $264
million into solar companies in 2006, up from $64 million in 2004.  The
start-ups also have benefited from $159 million in U.S. research grants
this year.

The solar industry, says analyst Jesse Pichel of Piper Jaffray, is
expected to triple in the next 3 years, from about $13 billion to $40
billion in revenue.

Like wind power, solar energy is spotty, working at full capacity an
average 20% to 30% of the time.  Solar's big advantage is that it
supplies the most electricity midday, when demand peaks.  And it can be
located at homes and businesses, reducing the need to build
pollution-belching power plants and unsightly transmission lines.  In
states such as California, with high electricity prices and government
incentives, solar is already a bargain for some customers.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/environment/2007-08-26-solar_N.htm
up!

Silicon Nanocrystals for Superefficient Solar Cells
Researchers at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), in
Golden, Colorado, have shown that silicon nanocrystals can produce two
or three electrons per photon of high-energy sunlight.  The effect could
lead to a new type of solar cell that is both cheap and more than twice
as efficient as today's typical photovoltaics.
[Technology Review August 15, 2007]
UP! THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL
CHARGES.

*The *HIV/AID$.*Scam: *
*Fact or Fraud?
Weird or just Odd?**
Devil or God?
*
Back when the AIDS scare started to get going bigtime I was publishing a
psychedelic/hippy-revival mag called The Encyclopaedia Psychedelica
International.  Being the editor of a free-love magazine, with most of
its readers young people, was not an enviable position to occupy in
those days.  And I was forced (if for no other reason - and there were
MANY more!) to meticulously research what was REALLY going on.   At the
time I was involved with a recording with Genesis P Orridge who kindly
sent me a veritable MASS of background information he'd collected on the
issue.  I digested every word and every piece of research, AND I
CONCLUDED BY PRAYING THAT THEY NEVER FIND A"CURE" FOR AIDS FOR IT WILL
BE THE MOST TOXIC ANTIBIOTIC POISON THIS PLANET HAS EVER SEEN!  AIDS,
itself, in fact, is a LOGICAL CONTINUATION of the very monotheistic
medi-bizness paradigm that CAUSED the breakdown of the human immune
system in the first place!

So I never fell for the gigantic propaganda that has since captured the
mind of almost the entire Gene Pool.  I can't go into it all here but am
happy, for a fiver, to send the original copy to anyone who asks for it.

So I am very glad indeed to find that some sincere people have put
together what they call, and I support, "One of the most powerful video
documentaries of our time"" boldly reveals the modern medical-industrial
complex's dire descent into utter corruption."

This feature-length expose explains exactly how the 300-Billion-dollar
AID$ fraud began, why HIV can NOT be the cause of AIDS, what the real
causes could be, and who manipulates the public's good intentions while
poisoning hundreds of thousands with toxic drugs that cause the very
disease they are supposed to prevent.  This is a systematic dissection
of the HIV/AID$ machine and how they hijacked a program designed to
fight a worldwide plight of human suffering and drove it down the road
to hell.  Yet this program offers hope, inspired by the courage and
articulate arguments of a growing group of voices internationally
challenging the HIV=AIDS=DEATH hysteria.  A MUST SEE for anyone
interested in truly understanding the facts about AIDS.
http://www.hiv-aids-factorfraud.com/#watch
UP! IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS
*)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o*
***the** **UP!** is a global edutainment round-up, broadcast weekly to
**=[13,035]=*
***Alternative// Activist// Zippy// Trance// New Age// Peace folks*
***recommended to the **Parallel YOUniversity**// Megatripolis Dance
Dept **as*
* **/"showing signs of life"./**  **Since recipients forward it widely
to their own lists & sites*
*we conservatively estimate **_50,000+ _**direct recipients.*
*A further 40,000 read it on the YOUniversity's site.*
*And, because of its 'mix' of 'specialist' & 'general' content,*
*   it's increasingly being posted on a variety of sites worldwide,*
*making an estimated total weekly readership of **_=[275,000]=_*
***)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o

*
          Speed of Light Passed
University of Koblenz physicists are claiming they have propelled
photons faster than the speed of light, using quantum tunneling across a
barrier gap of up to a meter.
[KurzweilAI.net]
UP!

New & Virtually Conclusive Proof
That Life Began In Space
Science Daily --- Recent probes inside comets show it is overwhelmingly
likely that life began in space, according to a new paper by Cardiff
University scientists.

Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe and colleagues at the University's
Centre for Astrobiology have long argued the case for panspermia - the
theory that life began inside comets and then spread to habitable
planets across the galaxy.  A recent BBC Horizon documentary traced the
development of the theory.

Now the team claims that findings from space probes sent to investigate
passing comets reveal how the first organisms could have formed.

The 2005 Deep Impact mission to Comet Tempel 1 discovered a mixture of
organic and clay particles inside the comet.  One theory for the origins
of life proposes that clay particles acted as a catalyst, converting
simple organic molecules into more complex structures.  The 2004
Stardust Mission to Comet Wild 2 found a range of complex hydrocarbon
molecules - potential building blocks for life.

The Cardiff team suggests that radioactive elements can keep water in
liquid form in comet interiors for millions of years, making them
potentially ideal "incubators" for early life.  They also point out that
the billions of comets in our solar system and across the galaxy contain
far more clay than the early Earth did.  The researchers calculate the
odds of life starting on Earth rather than inside a comet at one
trillion trillion (10 to the power of 24) to one AGAINST.
> > u have no idea how long i've been arguing this to those scientists
and they've been dismissing me as a loony :)  now suddenly the
argument's over and EVERYONE will probably say they've been saying it
all along :)

Professor Wickramasinghe said: "The findings of the comet missions,
which surprised many, strengthen the argument for panspermia.   We now
have a mechanism for how it could have happened. All the necessary
elements - clay, organic molecules and water - are there.  The longer
time scale and the greater mass of comets make it overwhelmingly more
likely that life began in space than on earth."
> > this is, of course, how the Supreme Intelligence manages the
YOUniverse.  SHe sends 2 types of triggers round the Creation.  the
first is the basic building blocks of Life which land all the time on
all planets but only take off when conditions have evolved to the proper
level.  Life then begins and evolves until it is ready for the next
trigger.  which is mushroom spores which also fall on all planets in the
YOUniverse.  this kicks off conscious life.  i thought everyone
understood this by now!
UP! WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL
DOESN'T WORK)

Scientology Faces Criminal Charges
A Belgian prosecutor on Tuesday recommended that the U.S.-based Church
of Scientology stand trial for fraud and extortion, following a 10- year
investigation that concluded the group should be labeled a criminal
organisation.

Scientology said it would fight the criminal charges recommended by
investigating prosecutor Jean-Claude Van Espen, who said that up to 12
unidentified people should face charges.

Van Espen's probe also concluded that Scientology's Brussels-based
Europe office and its Belgian missions conducted unlawful medical
practices, violated privacy laws and used illegal business contracts,
said Lieve Pellens, a spokeswoman at the Federal Prosecutors Office.

"They also face charges of being ... a criminal organization," Pellens
said in a telephone interview.

An administrative court will decide whether to press charges against the
Scientologists.

Scientology has been active in Belgium for nearly three decades. It
opened an international office near the headquarters of the European
Union to lobby for its right to be recognised as an official religious
group, a status it does not enjoy in Belgium.

A Belgian parliamentary committee report in 1997 labeled Scientology a
sect and investigations were launched into the group's finances and
practices, such as the personality tests conducted on new members.

Investigators have spent the past decade trying to determine how far
Scientology went in recruiting converts after numerous complaints were
filed with police by ex-members alleging they'd been the victims of
intimidation and extortion.

Justice officials seized financial records, correspondence, bank
statements and other papers in their decade-long probe to track the flow
of money to Scientology.  Police also raided the offices of several
consultancy firms linked to the Church of Scientology.

Pellens said that prosecutors expect Scientology to mount a strong legal
challenge to the charges at a court hearing, which could come in the
next two to three months.  She acknowledged that could delay the case
for years.

The German government considers Scientology a commercial enterprise that
takes advantage of vulnerable people.

The Los Angeles-based Church of Scientology, founded in 1954, counts
actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta among its 10 million members.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8REMTI02&show_article=1
<http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8REMTI02&show_article=1>
<http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8REMTI02&show_article=1>>>
gurdjieff, when once asked how to spot a true spiritual school from a
fake, gave 3 rules.  the first was whether they charged for it.  nobody
was charged in the Work, he said, until they were conscious enough to be
able to make such a decision and people might be asked to give a great
deal later and not necessarily money.  the 2nd was whether they asked
you to 'give something up' or make some kind of commitment which, he
said, was already a Big Thing to be able to achieve, and was only likely
to increase one's sense of failure if you were encouraged to make such
essence commitments too soon.  i forget the 3rd.
so Scientology falls at the first fence.  but it's much worse than that
in my opinion.  a primary question always is to ask, not only how
effective the techniques and knowledge such an organised gang might
have, BUT WHAT THEY USE THESE FOR.  and there is absolutely no doubt in
my mind that Scientology uses the power that any student is bound to
surrender to extract as much as they are able from them.
i won't say more publicly but anyone who is troubled can write to me
privately.
UP!
*all g o o d t h i n g s c o m **e t o a n e n d*
*which don't justify nuttin'*

*U U U U U U U U U U U U UP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
**YOUR PLANET NEEDS //YOU! This **HipList** grows purely by recommendation.
**SO RECOMMEND SOMEONE 2DAY!!!!!!!!!!
**YES, YES, SEND US EDUTAINING NEWS'N VIEWS no need to ask! :-)
FOR MORE FRASER ON RAVE CULTURE & THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, VISIT
_WWW.PARALLEL-YOUNIVERSITY.COM/fraser_
**TO UNSUBSCRIBE**, HIT REPLY WITH REMOVE IN THE SUBJECT BOX
 **U U U U U U U U U U U U** **UP! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! !
*