[Reclaimmayday] Stalls update

Jules anarchista at riseup.net
Thu Apr 19 12:06:36 UTC 2012

Heya,

Just spoken with Richard Ambler from the council with regard to the
market stalls provision for the May Day event.

His concerns were that the potential late finishing time of 10pm for the
stalls collection as his staff would not want to be working that late -
and most would be volunteers or only being paid for a couple of hours
and it would not be fair to ask them to do so.  As the event is being
run to commemorate International Workers' Day I could only agree with
him on this.

He was also concerned about the fact that this was a music event and the
stalls were being used for commercial purposes.

I let him know about the collaboration of many of Bradford's groups in
the organisation of this event, and that the majority of the stalls
would be utilised not for commercial purposes, but for a means by which
community organisations could communicate with the general public of
Bradford.  The music and food, as well as providing entertainment and
sustenance for the general public, are the main draw to encourage
attendance and raise funding to ensure that the event can go ahead.

I offered to provide a list of community  organisations that would be
involved in the event, but he didn't feel that he required this
information having spoken to me on the phone and having been reassured
that we were not any kind of commercial organisation profiting off the
back of the council's equipment.

He mentioned that he looked back at the records and had no records of
this type of event last year - possibly because it was organised through
Raise The Roof - and they were a professional organisation that the
council trusted.

In short, there is no problem with us having the stalls for definite up
until 6pm (and the stalls would have to be vacated and ready for removal
at this time), however if we did want to pack up later at 10pm, we would
have to get the consent of the Raise The Roof people to assist for him
to be totally happy about this.

(Is it just Mr. Pizza Pieces that is wanting to stay until 10pm?  I
can't think that any of the community organisations would want to be
staying that late - if we can't get Raise the Roof to get involved in
the packing down of the stalls we have to consider other options for
those that are wanting to stay until 10pm)

Richard informed that he now worked mainly in Bingley on the Bingley
markets and wondered whether an event such as this would work in Bingley
next year as they have a nice little space around the arts centre, and
he is trying to raise the profile of Bingley and bring trade there.  I
don't think he was "just saying" as the words "far more amenable" did
occur in the same sentence as "if you would consider the event for
Bingley next year".  (I did inform him that it was a committee decision,
but that he could count on me to raise the issue - consider it raised)

So...what next?

Stalls until 6pm and try to accommodate the later stalls elsewhere?

Raise the Roof involvement and stalls until 10pm?

I would need to know who the contact at Raise the Roof is, if Dusty
can't take this on.  If RtR are involved I will need to make contact
with Richard again in order to confirm this arrangement.

Thanks

Jules x