[Reclaimmayday] Can Recycling to raise funds

Jules anarchista at riseup.net
Thu Apr 19 09:49:38 UTC 2012

Hello again :)

I'm of the belief that it was mentioned at one of the planning meetings
that can recycling to raise funds wouldn't be worth it for a small
amount of cans and there were more important issues that needed sorting
before this was considered.  With the more important issues sorted or at
least underway, do people have the time or inclination to discuss
anything further now?

An estimate of worth was about 1000 cans (approx. 2 bin bags of crushed
cans?) would get  us about a tenner so not worth doing on a small scale
- but if there are enough of us doing it, or doing it regularly it might
be more viable.

I spoke with the bar collective at the 1in12 club who were happy to take
on the co-ordination of receipt and storage of cans if the club was
utilised as a collection space (although I forgot to take this to the
members meeting to see if the members of the club as a whole were okay
with this), and also provided there were a few willing people that could
offer transport assistance occasionally.

The reason that I am banging on about this again is that:-

I think recycling of resources is really important;

it provides a means of income for the May Day committee that can be
continued once this years event is paid up and might contribute
something towards next years event;

it would be viable if enough people got involved in order to collect
cans (even from their own homes)

if advertised that this is what we are doing, would provide a means for
which other local groups could link in with May Day group throughout the
year.  An example of this would be that if all the members of the Save
the Odeon group also collected and donated their cans, they would get a
share of the money raised to go towards their fundraising.

Bradford would look so much better with a little less litter.

Metal prices are relatively high at the minute aren't they?

Jules x