[sas-announce] Disney protest

David Broder david_communist at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 23:48:21 BST 2005

Hi everyone

We had what I felt was a very worthwhile protest outside the Disney store on Oxford St. this morning.

About 10 people turned up, wearing masks of Disney characters (Winnie the Pooh, Mickey/Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck) to hand out leaflets about the corporation's use of sweatshops, particularly focussing on their use of child labour.

We gave out about 300 leaflets, got a lot of signatures on our petitions, and used a megaphone to make a big noise about our protest - John Awty's renditions of Disney classics "Bare Necessities" and "Off to work we go" were particularly inspiring...

Thanks to everyone who came and made it a decent protest - I think we should do another one before Christmas (3rd December?). It's a particularly good time to do a protest, since tonnes of people will be buying their kids toys for Christmas... does anyone have any objection to this date?

Hope to see you all soon
David